QNAP TS453a and GS108T Port Trunking Question

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
KRS1974
Starting out

Post by KRS1974 »

Hi

I recently bought the GS108T and TS-453a.

I have tried to setup port trunking on all 4 LAN ports, I have tried to follow the QNAP instructions but the setup process has changed in the newer QTS and I have followed what I think is correct.

It shows in the QTS and QFinder Pro as one network port and I have assigned static address to it.

On the GS108T I have setup a LAG on the 4 ports that are connected to the NAS ports 5,6,7,8 but as soon as I do that it doesn't find the NAS in Qfinder Pro or anywhere. As soon as I disable the LAG it finds it and I can get into QTS.

Does anyone have any experience with this Setup and any advice ??

Kind regards
ensignvorik
Easy as a breeze

Re: QNAP TS453a and GS108T Port Trunking Question

Post by ensignvorik »

Personally I'd raise a support ticket, I've seen several issues posted regarding network & virtual switche configs on 4.3.3.

It's likely they may say it's problem with your GS108T, but at the off chance they come back saying it's a known problem with the Virtual Switch app you'll be saving yourself hours of headaches and they may be able to send you a hotfix.
Unless I'm being blind, I can't find the setting to change what kind of QNAP I have on my profile. I now own a TS-253A
peter247
Getting the hang of things

Post by peter247 »

I`ve tried trucking with my ts-653a with my TL-SG1016DE switch ( 4.24 firmware ) and couldn`t get it to work at all.
It didn`t get any increased bandwidth between the switch and my NAS or couldn`t communicate with it at all.
KRS1974
Starting out

Post by KRS1974 »

Hi

So what did you do instead ?? Turn it all off and use the one LAN connection ?? Only reason I changed from the ReadyNAS duo was to be able to stream more than one film at a time as I have kids with tablets and smart tv's and they buffer is more than one film is watched on the TV when the kids try VLC on the tablet
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Post by kherr4377 »

peter247 wrote:I`ve tried trucking with my ts-653a with my TL-SG1016DE switch ( 4.24 firmware ) and couldn`t get it to work at all.
It didn`t get any increased bandwidth between the switch and my NAS or couldn`t communicate with it at all.
the ONLY time you get increased bandwidth is with multiple active connections. you will ALWAYS be limited to 1G per client. That is all providing your nas has the hp to provide that extra throughput
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
ensignvorik
Easy as a breeze

Post by ensignvorik »

KRS1974 wrote:Hi

So what did you do instead ?? Turn it all off and use the one LAN connection ?? Only reason I changed from the ReadyNAS duo was to be able to stream more than one film at a time as I have kids with tablets and smart tv's and they buffer is more than one film is watched on the TV when the kids try VLC on the tablet
As they are using wireless devices, it's unlikely you'll get any benefit of trunking ports in this scenario.

Once it hits the wifi access point that's going to be your bottleneck.

You'll notice the instructions for setting this up shows no wireless devices anywhere on the diagram.

A drawing of your network might be more beneficial showing where your routers/switchs/wireless access points/end devices are.

If the TVs can be all cabled directly into Gigabit network (no powerline adapters) then you might benefit, but otherwise I don't think you're going to solve your buffering issues.

Is your wireless access point and tablets/TVs 802.11ac (5Ghz) compatible? Even then, just moving from floor to floor/room to room will see gradual reduction in speed.
Unless I'm being blind, I can't find the setting to change what kind of QNAP I have on my profile. I now own a TS-253A
KRS1974
Starting out

Post by KRS1974 »

kherr4377 wrote:
peter247 wrote:I`ve tried trucking with my ts-653a with my TL-SG1016DE switch ( 4.24 firmware ) and couldn`t get it to work at all.
the ONLY time you get increased bandwidth is with multiple active connections. you will ALWAYS be limited to 1G per client. That is all providing your nas has the hp to provide that extra throughput
The NAS has the power I spent a while reading up on it. It will have connections from possible 2 to 3 wired devices also. It just wireless ones. I know it won't increase the possible to above 1gb max but 4 lots of 1gb spread is better than hammering the 1 lan connection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KRS1974
Starting out

Post by KRS1974 »

ensignvorik wrote:
KRS1974 wrote:Hi

As they are using wireless devices, it's unlikely you'll get any benefit of trunking ports in this scenario.

Once it hits the wifi access point that's going to be your bottleneck.

You'll notice the instructions for setting this up shows no wireless devices anywhere on the diagram.

A drawing of your network might be more beneficial showing where your routers/switchs/wireless access points/end devices are.

If the TVs can be all cabled directly into Gigabit network (no powerline adapters) then you might benefit, but otherwise I don't think you're going to solve your buffering issues.

Is your wireless access point and tablets/TVs 802.11ac (5Ghz) compatible? Even then, just moving from floor to floor/room to room will see gradual reduction in speed.
My wifi is provided by a Cisco Meraki MR 18 which is 5 and 2.4 with multiple radios in it. TV is direct cable as are the other 3 TVs

ensignvorik
Easy as a breeze

Post by ensignvorik »

Ok, so as long as everything is joined gigabit then it 'should' work, but as said above it will only work if more than one device is accessing at the same time (except more than one wireless device unless you've also managed to trunk ports to the switch from the wireless ap also depending on how advanced it is)

Raise a support ticket at the same time as the amount of reports from people with advanced networking problems since 4.3.3 is on the increase.
KRS1974
Starting out

Post by KRS1974 »

ensignvorik wrote:Ok, so as long as everything is joined gigabit then it 'should' work, but as said above it will only work if more than one device is accessing at the same time (except more than one wireless device unless you've also managed to trunk ports to the switch from the wireless ap also depending on how advanced it is)

Raise a support ticket at the same time as the amount of reports from people with advanced networking problems since 4.3.3 is on the increase.
Happy to say I think I've worked it out (at least Qfind now sees it) however it doesn't ping with the static address assigned to it. Does it matter if I only configured one of the land ports with a static address ?? Once port trunking was enabled it wouldn't let me add statics to the other 3 it just gives me the one config for all of them which I set to .4?

Do the other 3 still pickup a dhcp or does it make no difference ?

ensignvorik
Easy as a breeze

Post by ensignvorik »

Ive never done trunking on a QNAP.

It shouldn't make a difference.

The important IP is the one it's bonded too, which I guess is your .4

You shouldn't need to specify IPs for any of the LAN ports once they are bonded together, just the bond itself. This is from my Linux understanding however. Hopefully someone else will provide a better response.

You may want to test it survives a reboot to save yourself a headache down the line.

The following article helped me understand port trunking and will explain it far better than I ever could: https://delightlylinux.wordpress.com/20 ... ntu-14-04/
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

KRS1974 wrote:On the GS108T I have setup a LAG on the 4 ports that are connected to the NAS ports 5,6,7,8 but as soon as I do that it doesn't find the NAS in Qfinder Pro or anywhere. As soon as I disable the LAG it finds it and I can get into QTS.
What kind of LAG is configured on the switch? The GS108T does support static trunks or 802.3ad/LACP dynamic trunks. What kind of port trunking is configured on the NAS?
The TL-SG1016DE does support simple static Port Trunks only.

Consult the QNAP documentation, and select a trunking mode compatible with what is configured on the switch.

For potential troubleshooting and self-learning-experience, one might consider to keep one port connected with a different IP address, just to have a management channel to the NAS QTS desktop, or for the sake for it to the SSH for a shall access.

If nobody does provide details, we can't help.

The other arguments ref. WiFi are valid. the WiFi bandwidth is - except when using the latest 802.11ac Wave II technology which requires 2.5 GbE connectivity - always the bigger factor than the GbE LAN throughput. With one AP, one GbE can not be fully loaded - but there can be other concurrent use of the NAS, which makes trunking valuable.
KRS1974
Starting out

Post by KRS1974 »

schumaku wrote:
KRS1974 wrote:On the GS108T I have setup a LAG on the 4 ports that are connected to the NAS ports 5,6,7,8 but as soon as I do that it doesn't find the NAS in Qfinder Pro or anywhere. As soon as I disable the LAG it finds it and I can get into QTS.
What kind of LAG is configured on the switch? The GS108T does support static trunks or 802.3ad/LCAP dynamic trunks. What kind of port trunking is configured on the NAS?
The TL-SG1016DE does support simple static Port Trunks only.

Consult the QNAP documentation, and select a trunking mode compatible with what is configured on the switch.

For potential troubleshooting and self-learning-experience, one might consider to keep one port connected with a different IP address, just to have a management channel to the NAS QTS desktop, or for the sake for it to the SSH for a shall access.

If nobody does provide details, we can't help.

The other arguments ref. WiFi are valid. the WiFi bandwidth is - except when using the latest 802.11ac Wave II technology which requires 2.5 GbE connectivity - always the bigger factor than the GbE LAN throughput. With one AP, one GbE can not be fully loaded - but there can be other concurrent use of the NAS, which makes trunking valuable.
I have configured the QNAP with dynamic IEE 802.3 ad and the switch I have done lcap
peter247
Getting the hang of things

Post by peter247 »

kherr4377 wrote:
SORRY !!!!!! , only just noticed the Notifacations button ...

Yes , I know about the limit per client !!! , but it is the link between the nas and switch I`m trying to improve , so I can have 2 client on full throughput.
The switch on the box says 802.3ad , but it keeps to 1 interface with 2 computers with GB/s connections pulling data.

I will see if 4.32 firmware makes any difference
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Post by kherr4377 »

what is the physical throughput of the 653a ..... specs given out by Qnap are normally with SSDs on both ends
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......

Return to “Miscellaneous”