VPN constantly disconnects

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
killarneygetaway
New here

VPN constantly disconnects

Post by killarneygetaway »

I am trying to setup a VPN client using ExpressVPN on my TS-451+ running FW 4.3.3. I managed to get a PPTP client configured but it disconnects every 30-40 seconds, then about 15 seconds later reconnects and continues to do this for while, then permanently disconnects. To confirm it isn't my router, I have a Windows7 virtual machine running on the NAS which is also configured to use ExpressVPN and connects and stays connected with no issues. Any ideas how I can fix the VPN client to stay connected? I am trying to mask torrent traffic. As a side note, I was unable to get OpenVPN to connect at all so gave up trying that one.

Thank you,
J...
choppy81
First post

Re: VPN constantly disconnects

Post by choppy81 »

Bump

Having the same issue since the last QNAP update, anyone else had the same issue and fixed it??

TIA
spk18
New here

Post by spk18 »

bump - me too!
shock66
New here

Post by shock66 »

This is happening to me as well, same time frame. Started around end of April (2017).
I am also using ExpressVPN. Has anyone here contacted support about this? I am contacting QNAP support now, but there's a possibility ExpressVPN changed something on their end to cause this.
reserv
New here

Post by reserv »

Same problem here. Disconnecting every ~35 sec.
Mcclegend
New here

Post by Mcclegend »

Updated my 412 to 4.3.3 and now it won't connect to VyprVPN at all. The new vypr app won't run on an arm processor so have to set it up manually all the settings appear to be right but it won't connect. I've tried pptp and l2tp connections both the same. Can't find an open vpn certificate for qnap otherwise I would try that.

Is anyone else suffering the same thing?
poulh
New here

Post by poulh »

I am having the same problem. Anyone figure this out yet? Also started disconnecting when updating to 4.3.3
spk18
New here

Post by spk18 »

I have been liaising with support over this and got the following email yesterday (I followed the instructions and it still doesn't work for me using PPTP on ExpressVPN, but may for you so give it a try perhaps):

hi

the issue was fixed by new firmware, if you are willing to test please download "BETA" firmware

please reboot your nas and follow steps bellow to update your firmware.
download firmware file here and unzip it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-3kIm ... sp=sharing

download Qfinder and install your pc
Qfinder http://download.qnap.com/Storage/Utilit ... .0812a.exe
when you running Qfinder you suppose to see nas in Qfinder
using Qfinder to update your nas firmware (right click nas name in QFinder and chose firmware update)

notice: reboot nas before you update firmware, that can help nas release enough memory.
kiwiprop
New here

Post by kiwiprop »

Looks like this updated app should work with the new firmware people, haven't had the chance to test it yet

hi Simon

i'm sorry , forgot send you new QVPN package, please download, unzip and install manually in app center

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-3kI ... ExOYThrLVE
kiwiprop
New here

Post by kiwiprop »

I can confirm for me at least that the beta firmware upgrade (link above) and the app update (link above) appears to have solved the problem. Will see with more testing. 25 minutes connected and counting...
poulh
New here

Post by poulh »

Hi @kiwiprop . thanks for the update. do you know what this beta firmware's number is ( or will be once out of beta ) so I know to update my qnap when I see it?

thanks!
msbc42
New here

Post by msbc42 »

I was having this issue after updating my TS-451 from QTS 4.2 to 4.3.3 - also with ExpressVPN. I was using the L2TP/IPSEC protocol for the VPN Client profile - aa mentioned in the QNAP setup guide on the ExpressVPM support. So, instead of this I created a new profile using the OpenVPN protocol and that seems to be working fine. Not sure of the long term effects???
reserv
New here

Post by reserv »

Hope they get update also for TS-419P.
kyrusdemnati
Starting out

Post by kyrusdemnati »

Can you connect other devices through the vpn on this firmware

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
shock66
New here

Post by shock66 »

Good news!

I am using QTS 4.3.3.0210 (updated through their automatic update) and the QVPN beta (1.0.17139) posted by kiwiprop (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-3kI ... ExOYThrLVE) seems to work.

Uptime of 15 minutes at this point. Cautiously optimistic.
Thanks kiwiprop!

Return to “Miscellaneous”