TS-451+ network dies after 4.3.3 update

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Briain
Experience counts

Re: TS-451+ network dies after 4.3.3 update

Post by Briain »

SupaMonkey wrote:Update: At this stage, support has asked me to:
1) Check file system on all hdds (waste of time because theyre all fine)
2) Check for bad blocks on all hdds (waste of time because theyre all fine)
3) Update firmware on the device (funny, because my NAS got 0188 from live update yet on their web site only 0174 is available for download).

Anyway, busy on 3 and will let you guys know if it helps at all - though i find it highly unlikely.
Hi

For my TS-453 Pro, updating from 4.3.3 0174 to 4.3.3 0188 is what caused this problem, and reverting back to 4.3.3 0174 seems to have fixed it (it's been running for 72 hours without a glitch). Could you please let me know the ticket reference number such that I can tell the help-desk? I have discussed this as part of my existing ticket (the missing list of VMs) so it could be useful to let the chap that I'm dealing with know that there's already another ticket open for this network adapter failure issue (and what it's reference number is).

Bri
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
kimkim
First post

Post by kimkim »

I have the similar problem. My TS-451 updated 4.3.3.0188. I can't ping and connect to the NAS after power-up manually or by WOL(EACH TIME). After I unplug the network cable from switch for about 10 seconds then reconnect the cable again, everything returns to normal.
SupaMonkey
Starting out

Post by SupaMonkey »

Just a quick update;
Been about 24 hours now since I reapplied the firmware manually and so far so good...
DaveTal
New here

Re: TS-251+ dvblink tv server dies after 4.3.3 update

Post by DaveTal »

Installed latestQTS update yesterday and ever since then my dvblink tv server has refused to connect. I now wish to uninstall the dvblink software but as soon as I enter the App Centre I cannot access it properly because they keep promoting new apps to install. Apps such as container centre and notes all of which are of no interest to me.

How can I stop this?
SupaMonkey
Starting out

Post by SupaMonkey »

Spoke too soon. LAN died again just shortly after 24hrs uptime.
As user above mentioned, unplugging LAN cable for a few seconds does the trick - which is at least faster than restarting the NAS. Still annoying nonetheless.

Bri - my ticket number is #JGB-145-16979
kickbackpunk
Starting out

Post by kickbackpunk »

TS-453A - firmware: 4.3.3.0188 - No DNS servers being used

So just to share with everybody I decided to spend a serious amount of time on this and I hope QNAP is reading this so they stop wasting customers time with unnecessary troubleshooting steps. To recap connecting to any shares via hostname (server name) on SMB/AFP is highly inconsistent. Errors will report the share is not reachable or the network path can't be found. 10 seconds later it will ask me to enter my credentials, enter them and then back to the errors, try again and I connect and if I try again moments later it's hit or miss. This becomes a major issue for automated backups like TIme Machine and Acronis True Image that will fail backing up looking for the shares or during the backup causing data corruption.

So what did I do, to start a thousand reboots of everything, swapped out routers, turned off all services except time machine and still no change. I wiped the NAS and reinitialized it in 4.3.3.0188 and even downgraded to 4.2.5 and still no change. Formatted all volumes, reset all settings in both firmware versions still no change. rearranged ethernet cables to different ports on the NAS (ie. eth01 to eth02). To make sure there is no issues outside of the NAS I shut it down and disconnected the ethernet cables and then tried to open shares on local macs an pc's on the network. No issues all the mac's and pc's connect just fine. If I click on interfaces in Network & Virtual Switch (located in control panel) and check their configurations and click apply I get everything working for about 30 minutes.

I finally setup a DNS server to stop relying on discovery services and guess what no change. Contacting support was a joke, the only response I got was install team-viewer and write us back. They don't even have the courtesy to ask if they can remote in which probably do nothing more than confirm that I am having issues. Also updating hosts files does not help either.

My synopsis is that this not a hostname issue or network discovery issue but something that is going on in the ethernet interfaces. Somewhere along the line of the original update to 4.3.3 messed up the interfaces and even downgrading to 4.2.5 did not fix it. To be honest I am at a loss on to resolve this. I feel as though money, time and my reputation have been wasted on this issue and with no response from QNAP is pretty much guaranteed I cannot use their products anymore. I will be lucky if I don't loose my job over this!
sedest
New here

Post by sedest »

Also faced a few issues with interface after upgrading. Solved reconfiguring from DHCP to static. Makes no sense, but no more issues after that.
adrian_
Getting the hang of things

Post by adrian_ »

We had the problem to.

Our solution

Our QNAP (TVS-663) has 2 ethernet ports. We only used one of these (port 2) so far.

So what have we done (not sure, what of these was the solution, but at least it is working now):
  • Connected the second port as well
  • In Network and Virtual Switch -> System Default Gateway -> There was automatically detection activated. -> Changed this to port 2 with fallback on port 1
keverns
New here

Post by keverns »

i have this problem too on my 670pro. 4.3.3 update.

smelling something to do with the dns or some network config in qnap.

prior this firmware, never had a issue. but now its driving me mad in the last couple days.
tried swaping over network cables.
constant rebooting, say every 18-24 hours

can ping fine via cmd
but no device can be see in windows/apple.

tried going from dchp to static. no real difference.
tried reverting to older firmware that i recall working... problem seems to be stuck there now.
daily system check now...useless
Idlywyld
New here

Post by Idlywyld »

Lost network connection to my Win7 VM after 4.3.3 upgrade on my TS-453pro. Tried everything I could think of with the best I could get was to ping the router successfully but nothing beyond it. Restored an image from February that was working then but it too failed to connect to the Internet after being restored. Something in the update definitely broke the networking. Tried deleting virtual switches and doing a new setup of everything without success. Very frustrated and hoping for a fix.
keverns
New here

Post by keverns »

i have downgrade back to 4.2.5, network issues solved. no more freezing/loss of conenctions.
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi Folks

The latest update (4.3.3.0210) causes the same issue that 4.3.3.0188 caused, so following the advice of the help-desk engineer (with whom I am discussing another 4.3.x issue) I have just opened a new ticket, with the details as shown below:

[#ZKB-652-44559]: Updates beyond 4.3.3.0174 results in QTS detection failures for 2 of the 4 Ethernet adaptors

With any updates beyond 4.3.3.0174 (either 4.3.3.0188 or 4.3.3.0210) everything initially appears be okay, but after a period of time (last time, after just 35 minutes) 2 of the 4 Ethernet adaptors are reported as being undetectable:

[Network device monitor] Cannot detect adapter 3 MAC 00:08:9b:aa:bb:cc
[Network device monitor] Cannot detect adapter 4 MAC 00:08:9b:dd:ee:ff

Ethernet 3 is reserved for my VMs and was indicating as being a 1 Gb/s connection on my switch, but after the above happens, the switch now indicates it as being 100 Mb/s. Looking at the Virtual Switch applet, the normally green line (showing all my VM's connected to the virtual switch) is now greyed out.

The above happened a few hours after updating from 4.3.3.0174 to 4.3.3.0188, then a reboot resolved the issue, but after a few hours, the above issues recurred, then after about the 3rd recurrence and reboot cycle, the reboot (the 4th one) didn't fix things. Interestingly, when watching the hardware on the 5th reboot, during the boot up the switch showed the connection as being at 1 Gb/s, but half way through the 'Starting Services' stage (as indicated on the LCD Qnap display) the switch showed a drop in connectivity, then after a few seconds, the 100 Mb/s LED illuminated (though when fully booted, the two adapters were again showing as being undetectable).

I then reverted from 4.3.3.0188 to 4.3.3.0174 and resolved the above issue (and after doing so, it ran for a week without any problems), so yesterday, I updated to 4.3.3.0210 and everything initially appeared to be okay, then after 35 minutes, the above issues recurred (in all cases, when it happens, the switch also indicates a drop to 100 Mb/s and the Virtual Switch shows a greyed out line between the virtual switch and the list of VMs).

Incidentally, I have been discussing this with another support engineer (Steven Hung) as part of another issue (ticket HCV-755-99319 about a problem with Virtualization Station VM list not being populated) and we agreed to await the next firmware release, but not that it is out (and the problems remain the same) he has just advised me to open a new ticket.

Incidentally, there is a thread where others have reported network issues and some of them appear similar to my issue (one is identical): viewtopic.php?f=50&t=132412

Kind regards
Briain
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750
keithhanlan
Starting out

Post by keithhanlan »

I also updated my TS-219P II to 4.3.3 (from 4.2.2) and can no longer connect although I can ping the machine. I'm very uneasy with the idea of wiping out my configuration.

But even if I am willing to wipe the configuration, how do I do that if I can't connect? Neither QFinder nor HTTP works; both seem to time out.

The only reason I updated my QNAP is for the security updates. I don't think that I'll make that mistake again.
Doug in Calgary
Getting the hang of things

Post by Doug in Calgary »

I have the same issue with two TS-431 P on the same network. They lose network after a few hours to a few days. I have an only TS-419 P on the same network and it is stable. All three are running latest firmware.
Briain
Experience counts

Post by Briain »

Hi Folks

Further to my above ticket regarding QTS losing visibility (connectivity) to two of the four Ethernet ports (ticket #ZKB-652-44559]), last night I installed the latest build (4.3.3.0229) and thus far, they have not dropped out (prior to that, they typically disappeared about 2 - 12 hours after a reboot) so it looks like the latest firmware update might have cleared that fault, but I will leave the ticket open for a couple of days, just to be sure they remain detectable over the slightly longer term. I'll update this thread in a few days to confirm how things hold up, but thus far, it is looking very promising.

Bri :)

PS Incidentally (and as it is briefly mentioned in my previous post in this thread) this morning Qnap support did a fabulous job of clearing the problem of my unpopulated VM list (HCV-755-99319), but that is discussed in another thread.
APC Smart-UPS 750

Return to “Miscellaneous”