[HowTo] QNAP BIOS recovery of completely dead mainboard [SPI flash method] [x51, x53]

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
chrishamm
First post

Re: [HowTo] QNAP BIOS recovery of completely dead mainboard [SPI flash method] [x51, x53]

Post by chrishamm »

I just wanted to say thank you for bringing up the idea to reflash the BIOS/EC when my NAS didn't do ANYTHING on start-up, i.e. no LEDs, no FAN, nothing. I was able to get my TS-453A back up with different BIOS files and a slightly different procedure.

When searching for BIOS files for the TS-453A I stumbled upon this thread: https://mail.coreboot.org/pipermail/fla ... 15002.html There they mentioned that there are two different BIOS versions for my NAS model, one for the Intel N3150and another one for the N3160 processors (mine). Apparently choosing the wrong one could result a bricked device. Note that I flashed both the BIOS and EC chips.

The pin assignment of the JSPI headers was equal to the one described in the main thread:

Code: Select all

1 - VCC
2 - GND
3 - CS
4 - SCLK
5 - MISO
6 - MOSI
It turns out the BIOS chip (MX25U6435F) operates at 1.8V and the EC chip (MX25L512E) at 3.3V. So I started with a Raspberry Pi + EC chip at 3.3V and flashed it with flashrom. Note that it is crucial to specify the SPI clock speed (in this case 512KHz, reduce to 100KHz if it doesn't work):

flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=512 -w ./QX47EC20.BIN
Then I moved on to the BIOS chip. Because I was afraid I could toast the BIOS chip I tried some voltage divider combinations but my first attempts didn't seem to provide sufficient power. That's why I ended up placing a 15 Ohm resistor between +3.3V and VCC to get at least some drop between the 3.3V and 1.8V lines. I also added 18 Ohm resistors between the CS, SCLK, and MOSI lines - MISO should not need one. Then I reflashed the BIOS chip with

flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=512 -w ./QX47AR25.bin
After this step I reassmbled everything and my NAS came back up to life. I'm really happy this could save me from buying an exchange motherboard and/or RMA repair!
GRX21
First post

Re: [HowTo] QNAP BIOS recovery of completely dead mainboard [SPI flash method] [x51, x53]

Post by GRX21 »

My TS-453Be will not start, it has stayed with the red status light for locked.

I am determined to try this recovery method but ...

Where could I download the files to flash BIOS and EC?

The reference QY47 Rev1.5 appears on the motherboard

Thanks so much
buggy82
Getting the hang of things

Post by buggy82 »

Eulogium wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:51 am Hey @buggy82, I am trying to reflash a TS-251+ using your original instructions, but I am stuck at the stage after connecting the wires. When I run "flashrom -E -V -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0" I get a print-out of what looks like flashrom attempting to identify a rom, ultimately saying No EEPROM/flash device found. Maybe I did not connect the wires properly?
Hi Eulogium,

If you know the EEPROM chip type, you can also fix flashrom to that chip and skip the auto detect stage. Please investigate on the EEPROM and the flashrom command options.
TS 409 Pro - decommissioned
TS 559 Pro+ - degraded to an iSCSI target, disabled all services
TS 651 + UX 800P 3xRAID5 (as Storage Pool 1), actually RAID50 + 1 Single Drive (test VMs/temp data, QTS apps)
buggy82
Getting the hang of things

Post by buggy82 »

GRX21 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:04 pm Where could I download the files to flash BIOS and EC?
Contact QNAP Support via Ticket system and EXPLICITELY tell them what you want. You need to somehow pass the QNAPs 1st level support (who know literally nothing) and get them to forward your request to someone actually knowledgeable.

QNAP has a public FTP server with all BIOS files. I just cant find the link atm.
TS 409 Pro - decommissioned
TS 559 Pro+ - degraded to an iSCSI target, disabled all services
TS 651 + UX 800P 3xRAID5 (as Storage Pool 1), actually RAID50 + 1 Single Drive (test VMs/temp data, QTS apps)
komede
New here

Post by komede »

On 2022-09-15 the update QTS 5.0.1.2145 build 20220903 killed my TS-451.
I recognized, that the fan went loud, but when I checked about 3 hours later, the TS-451 NAS did not respond anymore.
HDD 2 and 4 went red. HD1 was green, USB was blue, LAN was flashing orange.
HDs 1,2,4 are a Raid 5 cluster, 3 is empty. USB is the 4bay extension.

I removed all HDs, attached a monitor and a keyboard and started again. No beep at startup and only a black screen. No LED turned on on the keyboard, only the fan was running.

On this chanel it looks al little bit, like QNAP is killing boards and BIOS randomly -not knowing- but stil purpose?
Any idea what could help?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

TS-451 .. that sounds more like the LPC degradation (fan,hdd light etc)

Please check here
viewtopic.php?t=157459

Return to “Miscellaneous”