[HowTo] Replace broken DOM module with a simple USB stick

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
buggy82
Getting the hang of things

Re: [HowTo] Replace broken DOM module with a simple USB stick

Post by buggy82 »

datorexpert wrote:Will the data of the harddrives in a RAID-5 be lost after a recovery by using a recovery with dom.img as instructed?
Positive news: The data on your RAID-5 data partitions is not touched in the process of creating your own DOM module.

!!! But note: The configuration information of the NAS may get lost, so your device boots with the initialization wizard. DO NOT use your existing drives (your RAID-5 drives) in the NAS initialization wizard!!! Recreating a RAID-5 array in the initialization wizard definately overwrites the existing partitions information on your RAID-5 !!!

You will need QNAP support on your NAS to manually configure your pre-existing RAID array and follow their instructions.

buggy82

Edit: changed "deletes your data" to "overwrites the existing partitions information on your RAID-5"
TS 409 Pro - decommissioned
TS 559 Pro+ - degraded to an iSCSI target, disabled all services
TS 651 + UX 800P 3xRAID5 (as Storage Pool 1), actually RAID50 + 1 Single Drive (test VMs/temp data, QTS apps)
ravi_buz
Starting out

Post by ravi_buz »

Can you please help? I am not sure whats wrong with my system, It does not boot or show the BIOS screen, however when I plug in the USB with recovery to flash it boots up but I get a lot of keyboard error and it continues to flash and the whole thing goes blank. I have reported the issue here viewtopic.php?f=182&t=142816 with the whole descriptions.
TS-451
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

ravi_buz wrote:Can you please help? I am not sure whats wrong with my system, It does not boot or show the BIOS screen, however when I plug in the USB with recovery to flash it boots up but I get a lot of keyboard error and it continues to flash and the whole thing goes blank. I have reported the issue here viewtopic.php?f=182&t=142816 with the whole descriptions.
did you see the reply I posted in this thread?...no luck with that?
ravi_buz
Starting out

Post by ravi_buz »

dolbyman wrote:
ravi_buz wrote:Can you please help? I am not sure whats wrong with my system, It does not boot or show the BIOS screen, however when I plug in the USB with recovery to flash it boots up but I get a lot of keyboard error and it continues to flash and the whole thing goes blank. I have reported the issue here viewtopic.php?f=182&t=142816 with the whole descriptions.
I read it but I am confused - I do not see the BIOS at all, It just see the device booting into my pen drive, showing keyboard issue but ignores that and loads DSL and reboots to a blank screen. Since you had BIOS show up, i am not sure what the exact issue is
TS-451
guyder
New here

Post by guyder »

ravi_buz wrote:
dolbyman wrote:
I read it but I am confused - I do not see the BIOS at all, It just see the device booting into my pen drive, showing keyboard issue but ignores that and loads DSL and reboots to a blank screen. Since you had BIOS show up, i am not sure what the exact issue is
Try pressing F6 on bootup, this should get you into the BIOS
m.raczka
New here

Post by m.raczka »

Hi.
If my NAS doesn't give any hdmi output does it mean that the DOM module is broken? I cannot see any bios post etc.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

even with broken dom you should get a POST screen, see if any button presses brings up BIOS/error messages/ etc
m.raczka
New here

Post by m.raczka »

Unfortunatelly nothing.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

then it's more than just the dom

ram / cpu / mainboard
magixen
New here

Post by magixen »

hey, im about to do this, but more for aesthetic reasons, but i have a open question.

tbh since day one im using a usb3 drive to boot from, never bothered trying to use qnaps software.
so my question is how the performance of the DOM port is?
is it a standard usb2 interface? so theoretical 40mbytes/sec?

my plan is to connect a 8-16GB stick there which is currently connected on the outside.

would be awesome if someone could post some benchmarks of the internal storage. of the DOM_Storage itself is also okay
BlackEternity
New here

Post by BlackEternity »

Hi,

thanks for this informative article.
I'm considering doing this myself because my TS-879 Pro started to act up. For a long time now it sometimes wouldn't boot and last time I had to turn it off, it stayed off.
No beeping after powering it on. I needed to open up the machine and I knew about the DOM-Flash module and saw that the LED was not lit up so it wouldn't read from it. I wiggled it a bit and after nearly an hour I could revive it and it boots just fine.
So it seems the DOM module itself is FUBAR or the connector is loose.
My TS-879 has a second empty module right next to it so I assume it is for redundancy / failover reasons. I contacted support in order to get some help and maybe purchase a replacement-DOM from them. The NAS is around 8 years old now so it would just be fair to buy a replacement module. No big deal, right? Wrong! Support says: Oh yeah your NAS is old, please buy a new one. WTF?!
Quick Google if I can replace the DOM let me here.

Now comes the fun part:
I got some links from support on how to migrate my NAS to a newer version. But my question is:
Can I just "clone" my DOM-Flash or at least create a USB-Stick with a new Firmware and keep the current disks in it without losing data? Will this basically be the "migration" process that is described in these links?
https://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.2/SMB/en/in ... ration.htm

Or will the existing NAS with the new Firmware just boot up without HDDs and when I plug one in it will recognize a working system?

Thanks and cheers,
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you would just do a firmware recovery, that should flash a base dom image, then update the firmware again to bring your nas back to the latest firmware

it is advised to have external backups of your nas data at all times (so you dont have to worry about the data if the drives or nas go up in smoke)
BlackEternity
New here

Post by BlackEternity »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:52 pm you would just do a firmware recovery, that should flash a base dom image, then update the firmware again to bring your nas back to the latest firmware

it is advised to have external backups of your nas data at all times (so you dont have to worry about the data if the drives or nas go up in smoke)
Alright, thanks.
I will go and dig through my stuff to find the USB adapters.
Yeah regarding the backup: I know that :ashamed:
10TB Data needs a place to live in. I'm looking for a proper backup solution because as of right now I only have the utmost important stuff off of the NAS.

From reading the posts in this thread, I understand it correctly, that there is a difference between the internal Ports and a regular USB? So I couldn't just plug the USB in any one of the remaining ports, right? It needs to be where the original DOM was in order to function properly?
I just wish I wouldn't have to cross my fingers before every shutdown or software-update to see if it comes back up again. Userdata seems pretty solid but the DOM-Flash is flaky AF so I just need a more "robust" solution. If QNAP won't sell me a new memory, I need to get the USB working.

Thanks for the quick reply,
Cheers.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you can either replace the dom with a USB stick, or just buy a new one, ebay has tons of these modules for sale

also USB disk now come in up to 10TB (apparently they are upgrading them all the way up to 14TB)
https://www.seagate.com/ca/en/consumer/ ... ard-drive/
sal88
Starting out

Post by sal88 »

I've just perfomed the dom reflash and i'm updating the firmware with Qfinder.
Just thought I'd check...if I switch off, then plug the hard drives back in and switch it back on, it should see the existing data?
Do I have to perform the system initialisation in Qfinder at all?
Thanks

Update:

As per Qnap Support i went ahead and inserted the drives but I could no longer see it in QFinder so I removed the hard drives booted back up, shut down, re-inserted the hard drives, a couple of times.
Now I can see the NAS but it has the previous configuration (IP, password etc).
Is it possible that I actually did not perform the DOM flash at all?

Return to “Miscellaneous”