[HowTo] Replace broken DOM module with a simple USB stick

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: [HowTo] Replace broken DOM module with a simple USB stick

Post by dolbyman »

so did you update the firmware yet, before you inserted the disks?

how would we know if you performed the dom flash?..its your first post and no backstory given
sal88
Starting out

Post by sal88 »

Thanks for the reply and apologies if I wasn't clear. What I meant was that though I had gone through the motions of the dom flash I had doubts about whether I had done it correctly, as it didn't seem to make any difference. The firmware update was done a week before this failure.
I've managed to boot up now, and i1t would appear that my problem was actually a degraded raid, which I am trying to resolve now. I will create a new post.
Thanks
zplitt
Starting out

Post by zplitt »

Hello fellas,

my Qnap nas broke and with a little google search i found this thread.

my TS-469 Pro was running, then i heard one long beep. the display went dark it didnt respond to any pressed button. many tries of booting failed, display showed "booting system" with arrows. forever. i connected a monitor via VGA, no signal. removed the harddrives, same problem.
reading this threat i thought a broken DOM could be the problem. i flashed an USB flash drive with a new firmwire using balena etcher. same problem.
i found another thread where one user figured out a broken RAM was the problem. so i replaced the original 1gb with a 4gb ram.
suddenly.. the monitor shows something!!

EFI Shell version 2.00
Current running mode 1.1.2
Map: Cannot find required map name

so a broken RAM wasnt the only problem. out of curiousity i checked the pin-out for the DOM and the flash drive and soldered a cable with a USB plug to the DOM. plugged it into my computer and the LED on the DOM was flashing. flashed it with balena etching again, LED flashed the whole time. so i guess the DOM is NOT broken.
i placed it on the motherboard of the nas again, but still "cannot find required map name" and the LED stayed dark.
so i thought maybe pins for DOM are not getting the required voltage, but the pins had exactly 5.0 volts.

now i am completely out of ideas..

is there any chance of rescuing my device?
parkerc
Easy as a breeze

Post by parkerc »

Hi @zplitt,

if it’s not the DOM, then I’m not sure either- have you checked what the bios is reporting - attach keyboard/mouse to see if anything is missing?

While I have you, I could do with your soldering skills as I had replaced the DOM on my TS-453 pro, a while back, but it suddenly stopped booting (stuck on system booting) so I decided to take it apart to check the SD-card and reader I was using. (See if that had failed)

Unfortunately in the process of taking it a part I caught the DOM USB connector and pulled it off - doh !! (See photo). - I’m now in the process of buying a soldering kit to try and fix it :-(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Model Name : QNAP TS-253be (16GB) & TS-453D (16GB)
Firmware Version:: QTS Latest
OS Version : Apple iOS (iPad/Safari Browser)
Number & Type of HDDs : 2 x 3TB WD Reds, Raid 1 & 4 x 4TB WD Reds, Raid 5
Website (When I have time) : http://www.nodecentral.co.uk
zplitt
Starting out

Post by zplitt »

Dont worry, soldering doesnt require much skill. Soldering your socket will be an easy job!
What i did with the DOM was not difficult either. Just googled the pin out for the usb header and here we go.

https://www.directupload.net/file/d/585 ... fr_jpg.htm

with only the the DOM attached to the motherboard, i get the "cannot find the required map name" error. I tried different firmwire versions. One from the link from the first post, and a few different versions from the Qnap helpdesk. When i flash the DOM with balena etcher, it tells me "one failed device". soooo maybe the DOM *is* broken.. My smallest usb flash drives are 4bg, so i tried one with the same firmwire an get no error messages from the flashing program. But only if use the firmwire from the first post. When i try to flash DOM or usb with the firmwire from Qnap, balena etcher tells me "missing partition table" and its not a bootable image. So i flashed the usb drive again, put the DOM back in, AND plugged the flash drive on the back of the TS-469 in.

Now i can acces the BIOS.

https://www.directupload.net/file/d/585 ... 9p_jpg.htm
https://www.directupload.net/file/d/585 ... ha_jpg.htm
"seems" like everything is working..

https://www.directupload.net/file/d/585 ... f3_jpg.htm
the error log. Anything suspicious?

i tried booting so many times, with so many different settings, it´s hard to tell now, wich method was the most succesful. With and without HDDs, with and without the flash drive, with a flash drive on the DOM socket, ...

https://www.directupload.net/file/d/585 ... o7_jpg.htm
https://www.directupload.net/file/d/585 ... hj_jpg.htm

the furthest i got was this:

https://www.directupload.net/file/d/585 ... 8y_jpg.htm

BUT: still "system booting" on the screen, first one long beep, the three long beeps in a row. Logging in doesnt work. I tried my own account, doesnt work. Then i tried the "admin" account. Only when i type "admin" for user, the "password" shows up. I type "admin" again, i get this message:

-sh: id: command not found
-sh: reset: command not found

i have read on the Qnap Homepage, that some Models use the MAC1 adress as password for the admin account, but still no luck.
any ideas?

PS: sorry for the links to the images, but i could not post it with [img].
noncebig
First post

Post by noncebig »

Many compliments for your article, perfect technical chronicle and good courage to solve the trouble, without submit the expensive solution by Qnap support!
I had the same experience 1 month ago on a HS-251+ perhaps after the update 4.4.2.1320 Build 20200529, and I've done the same steps as you, also the mistake of USB complete disabling bacause trying to boot from it, causes irregular behavior.
But my doubt, how is possibile for this big brand, to lock a system for a component fault, with no emergency solution for drive reading or restore from external backup?
I want to ask you, if you have considered the replacing of the DOM component as I found on following:
https://www.cbo-do.de/Server-Components ... 57245.html#
I hope this could be a possible solution before completely changing the storage, not only to recover my data, but for technical satisfaction.
Thank you and let me know how is now your experience with Qnap.
Best regards.
roborla
First post

Post by roborla »

Hi my name is Roberto and I write from Italy. I have a problem with my ts 453 pro qnap which I purchased used but defective. I followed your very interesting procedure, but I was unable to get it started again. it always remains in System booting despite having removed the DOM and put the usb port with a stick with the system downloaded from your indication for my NAS. Could you give me some more suggestions? what could be wrong? you can hear us in my email: orla0099@gmail.com
thanks I await your reply and cordially greet Roberto
zplitt
Starting out

Post by zplitt »

I was lucky to be able to borrow a running DOM unit from a TS-669 Pro, which i plugged in my TS-469 Pro. Guess what - it´s running! Qfinder recognized the nas as TS-669 Pro, of course.

Therefore i tried replacing the DOM with a flash drive. Again. I checked the pins multiple times and measured the voltage on the pins.

The firmwire image from the first post is from 2014, so i tried a newer one from the qnap support page, but they seem not to be bootable. Balena Etcher tells me "missing partition table". Even if i still try to flash a stick, Balena tells me "1 failed device".

Is there a specific Boot Priority to set in BIOS? In my case: 1. Internal Shell 2. USB HDD 3. USB FFD .. and so on.

With a flashed stick connected to the DOM socket, i get the "cannot find required map name" message.
With NOTHING on the DOM socket, but the same flash drive plugged on the BACK of the nas, i get to the login screen, but with no luck as i wrote above and still "system booting" on the screen.

This is driving me nuts..
bilik
New here

Post by bilik »

I would try copy image from DOM TS-669 into flash a stick. And testing. It first step.
Busfulofnuns
New here

Post by Busfulofnuns »

Hello sirs,

I would like to replace my DOM with a larger USB as similarly noted with the opening posts. However, I have a TS253be. I have pulled out the drives and was able to get all covers off. However, it seems the hard drive cage is screwed onto the motherboard and those screw ends have been tamped, meaning from the top or bottom a screwdriver can not unloosen the screw. So, to make the story short, I am not able to visually see where the DOM module is or any of its connecting wiring.

Does anyone have a TS-253be and has been able to access the DOM fornUSB drive replacement?

Thank you.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Busfulofnuns wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:23 am Does anyone have a TS-253be and has been able to access the DOM fornUSB drive replacement?
Something to bear-in-mind: the smaller NAS (based around system-on-a-chip designs) do not have a distinct and replaceable DOM. The functions of the DOM are built-into the mainboard.

I've been unable to find any photos of the interior of this model NAS to confirm that's the case here, though.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Busfulofnuns
New here

Post by Busfulofnuns »

OneCD wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:54 am Something to bear-in-mind: the smaller NAS (based around system-on-a-chip designs) do not have a distinct and replaceable DOM. The functions of the DOM are built-into the mainboard.

I've been unable to find any photos of the interior of this model NAS to confirm that's the case here, though.
Yes, when I boot with Gparted or similar rescuedisk I can see that there is a 4GB EMMC. However, as I've mentioned earlier, when taking everything apart, it seems the hard drive cage is bolted onto the motherboard and cannot be removed or can't be removed with just the tools I have. And evenso, I'm still not able to find where it is. Also, I am not sure if the EMMC is soldered onto the main board or has an MMC connector for EMMC replacement.
yulasinio
New here

Post by yulasinio »

Very informative thread, saved my ** today.
Last night we had some power outages and the battery in the UPS is dead Image so woke up to a powered off NAS. I turned it on and went my way, only to see hours later that it's stuck on System Booting screen. After a lot of messing I went in BIOS to find that I don't have any Bootable devices. Yes, the dom wasn't showing in the Boot section.
After spending loads of time online trying to find a replacement I decided to do my own. Got an old 8GB USB drive, de-solder the USB metal head and soldered a 4pin header that you find on Arduino etc.
Plug and play Image

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Last edited by yulasinio on Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
parkerc
Easy as a breeze

Post by parkerc »

Nice job @yulasinio !

Thanks for sharing - is there a step by step guide somewhere to do that as finding a replacement DOM (in the right size, with the right orientation) was in my experience not easy.
Model Name : QNAP TS-253be (16GB) & TS-453D (16GB)
Firmware Version:: QTS Latest
OS Version : Apple iOS (iPad/Safari Browser)
Number & Type of HDDs : 2 x 3TB WD Reds, Raid 1 & 4 x 4TB WD Reds, Raid 5
Website (When I have time) : http://www.nodecentral.co.uk
yulasinio
New here

Post by yulasinio »

Thanks parkerc.
Yes, not easy to find a 1GB or 2GB dom's online that will be a straight replacement. There are a few in the States but the shipping it's huge, $65 to Ireland one product had. There a re also a few on Aliexpress but you'll be waiting 2 months by the time it arrives in EU :)
I'm not sure if there's a guide out there for what I did, but if you let me know what other steps are missing I'll add them to my original post.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Return to “Miscellaneous”