Can''t Connect to my Qnap TS-410

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
dannywi11iams
Starting out

Can''t Connect to my Qnap TS-410

Post by dannywi11iams »

Hi all,

First time post, I've looked all over the net and forums, but i'm at a loss now.

I'm having trouble connecting to my Qnap. It all started when I received an upgrade on my router, which is now a Super Hub 3.0 but didn't notice any issues before hand.

My new Super Hub sees the Qnap on the network and identifies the IP address given to the Qnap when using both network connection on the NAS box.

On my Qnap when booting up the status light indicates a red/green light, after the bleep I'm able to connect to the Qnap using a Windows 10 machine (which I have not had any problems with before hand). After routing around through the Qnap's menus and setting, a message dialogue box comes up indicating (form memory) that the network is busy and the NAS box will need to reboot or reload the page, with the option to cancel or reload. if I press cancel I can use the menus but I'm unable to save any setting I make.

Items I've tried.
I've booted up the NAS with out any drives in place, and I'm able to connect to it. this option gives me the ability to do a factory reset along with installing the latest firmware. I've downloaded the latest firmware (4.2.6) and installed that with no problems apart from a compatibility issue with my hard drive, Which I only have one drive connected at the moment (this is a WD Red 4TB (WD40EFRX)) and it tells me to upgrade to the latest firmware (put I have the latest).

I also done done the same as above with a much early version of the 4.2.6 firmware to see if that would correct the issue (so far I dont have the compatibility issue), the only thing is which I'm unsure about if a go back to a much earlier version that this will kill the NAS all together.

My Qnap now just sits there with a green status light and network activity light flashing on the front and back (just like to say I've tried both network connections, same issue) after a complete reboot sometime the hard drive is active and when connected it indicates that it's indexing media. But I'm unable to connect unless I reboot (and only sometime) if I connect, seconds before the bleep sounds I'll have 5-10mins of use before I get kicked off.

I'm thinking that the network cards inside the Qnap are shot or the motherboard it self, and as the system warms up it cuts out. but this might be crap and i'm talking out my but.

If any one could assist me on this it would be a great help.

Thank in advance
Dan
P3R
Guru

Re: Can''t Connect to my Qnap TS-410

Post by P3R »

dannywi11iams wrote:My new Super Hub sees the Qnap on the network and identifies the IP address given to the Qnap when using both network connection on the NAS box.
With what (if any) port trunking configuration in the Qnap?
it tells me to upgrade to the latest firmware (put I have the latest).
When the network issue is resolved just reapply the same firmware again.
I also done done the same as above with a much early version of the 4.2.6 firmware to see if that would correct the issue (so far I dont have the compatibility issue), the only thing is which I'm unsure about if a go back to a much earlier version that this will kill the NAS all together.
No it shouldn't but you could be missing important firmware fixes.
My Qnap now just sits there with a green status light and network activity light flashing on the front and back (just like to say I've tried both network connections, same issue)...
Previously you said you have both connected but have you tried with only a single connected doing it all from scratch, reboot and everything?
I'm thinking that the network cards inside the Qnap are shot or the motherboard it self, and as the system warms up it cuts out. but this might be ** and i'm talking out my but.
Possible but I've never heard of that. They usually break totally. Network is on the motherbord by the way.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
dannywi11iams
Starting out

Post by dannywi11iams »

P3R wrote:With what (if any) port trunking configuration in the Qnap?
What do you mean by this, my experience with networking is limited. So this setup is by default and by the factory settings. If I'm going to change anything I'd only change the IP address to a static IP.
P3R wrote:No it shouldn't but you could be missing important firmware fixes.
I understand this issue, but I'm trying understand if this would be a firmware problem.
P3R wrote:Previously you said you have both connected but have you tried with only a single connected doing it all from scratch, reboot and everything?
Sorry for the confusion, but the tests before hand have all done with a single network connection.
P3R wrote:Possible but I've never heard of that. They usually break totally. Network is on the motherbord by the way.
Yeah I understand these are part of the main motherboard, just speaking out loud.

I'm going to try and just connect it just to the router and or straight in to a computer see what happens as I'm doing it at the moment via Wifi and let you know if any different.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

dannywi11iams wrote:What do you mean by this, my experience with networking is limited. So this setup is by default and by the factory settings.
As long as you only connect a single network cable (to the interface designated as holding the default gateway in the network configuration, most likely the first port) my question about port trunking is irrelevant and your default network configuration should be fine.
I understand this issue, but I'm trying understand if this would be a firmware problem.
I doubt that it's a firmware bug as we would probably have seen other reports about that here. It may be that the firmware haven't been installed correctly or that something in your configuration have been messed up for some reason.
I'm going to try and just connect it just to the router and or straight in to a computer see what happens as I'm doing it at the moment via Wifi and let you know if any different.
I hope you mean that you have the client computer connected via WiFi and not the NAS...

Just to make things clear. What's the current status again?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
dannywi11iams
Starting out

Post by dannywi11iams »

P3R thanks for getting back to me.

Ok I've tried connecting it to my computer and I"m still ending up with the same issue.

When I remover the hard drive and use Qfinder to locate the IP address, I'm able to log on to the NAS. I installed a earlier version of the firmware (4.2.0 20160130) and this installed without any issues. After sometime with the red/green light flashing on the front panel I get the three bleeps indicating the firmware is successful. So I used Qfinder to logon to the NAS. This worked without any problems.

After being logged on to the NAS for all of a minute or two, the network busy or reload dialogue box came up. Then I lost the connection.

So I proceeded to use Qfinder to locate the NAS. When i finally got connected, the Qfinder indicated that I needed to update my firmware to the latest version before allowing me to proceed.

So now I have the latest firmware installed and unable to gain access to the NAS. The status light is constant solid green the network is actively flashing. Qfinder see's it connected to my computer or as being on the network, but the status indicator in the software is blank. (Because last time I connected this showed a green arrow pointing down)

If anyone can advise on what I'm to try any suggestions would help.

My next option is to try another hard drive in it and see what happens there.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

dannywi11iams wrote:but the status indicator in the software is blank.
What status indicator in which software? QFinder?

Do you have disk activity (Disk LED flashing)?
If so maybe the slow CPU of the TS-410 is struggling with a media reindexing (which could take days depending on the amount of media) and therefore the unit is onlt barely visible on the network?

dannywi11iams
Starting out

Post by dannywi11iams »

P3R wrote:What status indicator in which software? QFinder?
The Qfinder software shows icons under the status column which I'm guessing is activity of the NAS drive.
Below is a link to a screen shot (not of mine but to give an idea of what I mean).
https://www.qnap.com/images/products/Ap ... ion_05.jpg

When the green down arrow was showing I'm able to access the NAS drive. When nothing show in this column I can't gain access.
P34 wrote:Do you have disk activity (Disk LED flashing)?
When switching on the NAS box the status indicator flash red/green the hard drive is being accessed for a set amount of time, then activity of the drive will come to a stop and the NAS drive will sit there. During this period I'm trying to logon to the drive with no success.
P3R wrote:If so maybe the slow CPU of the TS-410 is struggling with a media reindexing (which could take days depending on the amount of media) and therefore the unit is onlt barely visible on the network?
But if I don't get a HDD activity light would the mean the drive is sitting there not doing anything. If thats the case why shouldn't
I be able to access the NAS software. My drive is only 4TB which is only half full. When you say "media" do you mean all the contents of the drive, or all files like MP3s and Videos/Photos

If so, would there need to be a particular folder structure for this to be carried out without any issues. As I have photos in a sub directories show location/date/.....
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

dannywi11iams wrote:But if I don't get a HDD activity light would the mean the drive is sitting there not doing anything.
Yes, which also means that my theory about generation of thumbnail doesn't apply.
If thats the case why shouldn't I be able to access the NAS software.
That's the issue with your NAS. I don't know and I'm out of ideas at the moment.

If you haven't done so already, I suggest that you open a ticket with Qnap support for assistance.
When you say "media" do you mean all the contents of the drive, or all files like MP3s and Videos/Photos
I meant media files like video and photos that, if enabled, some services will make thumbnails for. I'm not a user of those services so I know no details but I know it's been discussed here in the forum.

dannywi11iams
Starting out

Re: RE: Re: Can''t Connect to my Qnap TS-410

Post by dannywi11iams »

P3R wrote:
dannywi11iams wrote:But if I don't get a HDD activity light would the mean the drive is sitting there not doing anything.
Yes, which also means that my theory about generation of thumbnail doesn't apply.
If thats the case why shouldn't I be able to access the NAS software.
That's the issue with your NAS. I don't know and I'm out of ideas at the moment.

If you haven't done so already, I suggest that you open a ticket with Qnap support for assistance.
When you say "media" do you mean all the contents of the drive, or all files like MP3s and Videos/Photos
I meant media files like video and photos that, if enabled, some services will make thumbnails for. I'm not a user of those services so I know no details but I know it's been discussed here in the forum.
Thanks for the response P3R.

I'm just in the middle of using another drive at the moment to see if that helps.

I've connect the original 4TB drive to a USB connector and it see's all the partition of the drive but is unable to read anything. It only give me the option to format the partitions Would this be to do with the way Qnap formats the drive and maybe encrypt the information or would the drive be shot.

Would there be any way to retrieve any of the information on the drive if this is the case.

Thanks again for any help.

Dan.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
P3R
Guru

Re: RE: Re: Can''t Connect to my Qnap TS-410

Post by P3R »

dannywi11iams wrote:I've connect the original 4TB drive to a USB connector and it see's all the partition of the drive but is unable to read anything. It only give me the option to format the partitions

Would this be to do with the way Qnap formats the drive and maybe encrypt the information or would the drive be shot.
I've done exactly that successfully a long time ago but that was a disk with a much older QTS firmware. User data should be in the third partition if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately I have no idea if the reason that you can't see any files is becuase of changes in the QTS firmware or a disk issue of some kind...

I also have no similar NAS with single or RAID 1 disks so I can't try it for you. I'm sorry that I can't be of more help.

The disk should only be encrypted if you actively had choosen that (if internal disk encryption was even availiable on a TS-410, I don't remember) upon initialization.
Would there be any way to retrieve any of the information on the drive if this is the case.
If you're not able to get it out yourself you could try with a professional data recovery servce but unfortunately they're probably very expensive. :cry:

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

did OP attach the disk to the nas or a windows computer ?

by default a windows computer would not be able to read the ext partitions (and would offer to format them)
dannywi11iams
Starting out

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Can''t Connect to my Qnap TS-410

Post by dannywi11iams »

Well after placing in a spare HDD, I can say that this is not the problem. I'm still getting the same issue as before.

HERE ARE THE STEPS I'VE USED.
It all started off ok as I booted the NAS with no drives in place, I inserted the spare drive and was granted with the start-up screen.Image
Then moved on to the user input and setting. I filled in all of this thinking "yeah getting somewhere". After all these steps, the applying setting screen came up and a countdown timer indicating the restart of the NAS.
ImageImage

This was applied and the NAS box rebooted with the indication of a bleep. I then proceeded to use Qfinder to located the IP address which it couldn't do. When the red/green status light stopped and the solid green light came on the Qfinder indicated the NAS was on the network. I double clicked the line which indicated my NAS drive and got a message indicating the SMTP server was not configured yet. I clicked the YES button and a login dialogue came up. Which I was unable to login to, so skip this step.
ImageImage
No matter what I do it always returns to the main issue of not booting up or when i do make a connection with it, it will kick me out from the NAS box after giving it some tasks to do.

It is seen as being attached to the network in the Qfinder software, but when I go to connect to it I get the blue screen in the browser window and the the Chrome message stating "This site can't be reached"

If I add the drive to and new NAS box will it be able to recover the information on the disk. As I've read on the "storage manager" setting page "if a (new or used) drive is added, which has not been used on the NAS data will be lost." Dose this mean some sort of binding information is added to the disk that knows which motherboard it was originally connected to.

I'm starting to think that there is some wrong with the motherboard. Does anyone know if it possible to get a replacement board.
dannywi11iams
Starting out

Post by dannywi11iams »

dolbyman wrote:did OP attach the disk to the nas or a windows computer ?

by default a windows computer would not be able to read the ext partitions (and would offer to format them)
the drive was connected to a Windows machine, as I was waiting for the setup of the other drive to take place.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

remember the qnap is not a fancy drive enclosure..but a little linux computer

the 410 is not using storage pools..so the qnap can read its own internal drives,externally

any replacement part for the 410 would be more expensive then just getting a new (faster) unit
dannywi11iams
Starting out

Post by dannywi11iams »

dolbyman wrote:remember the qnap is not a fancy drive enclosure..but a little linux computer

the 410 is not using storage pools..so the qnap can read its own internal drives,externally

At the moment I'm doing a scan on my original 4TB drive using the manufacturers software to make sure there is nothing wrong with it.

I've come across a website that do replacement parts and wonder of anyone as used them.
https://www.storesys.de/QNAP-Ersatz-Zub ... L-24072017

It is cheaper than a new NAS box.
dolbyman wrote:any replacement part for the 410 would be more expensive then just getting a new (faster) unit
If I was to buy a new NAS box will I be able to read the original 4TB drive if I plug it into one of the ports like you mention before or will this only be possible from the TS-410 device.

Return to “Miscellaneous”