Dropbox equivalent

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Ruud Westerhout
Getting the hang of things

Dropbox equivalent

Post by Ruud Westerhout »

Hello all,

I am currrently using Dropbox to synchronize only a few files. The reason I use Dropbox:
-on PC it is immediately synced
-on my Android phone and tablet another App Dropbox-Sync takes over the immediate syncing
Any device that changes the file, is syncing immediately with dropbox and the other devices have it too.
This works being in my LAN or WiFi network as well as through the internet.

I'd like this process to be done with my own cloud on my Qnap.
I tried different options here without the result I want, most probably because I am doing something wrong.

Is there a serious equivalent for the above process.

Best regards,
Ruud
TVS-873 (8GB) with 6x Seagate IronWolf 10TB in Raid6 FW 4.3.6.0923 Build 20190425
TS-419P with 4x Hitachi 4TB in Raid5 FW 4.3.3.0789 Build 20190102
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: Dropbox equivalent

Post by Trexx »

I am assuming you have already looked at QSync.

You might want to look at something like the community OwnCloud/NextCloud apps. Not sure if they will do what you want.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
Ruud Westerhout

Hi Paul,

Yes, I tried QSync a few years ago and tried it again just yesterday. Next from the fact that I have my problems understanding how to install it, it does not seem to work. And looks quite active although no files are synced.
And also owncloud was testen by me, though only on my 'old NAS', I again had my problems. I had my hopes somebody would either confirm which solution really works (and therefore confirm also the problem is me) or what other solution should be looked at.

Best regards,
Ruud
TVS-873 (8GB) with 6x Seagate IronWolf 10TB in Raid6 FW 4.3.6.0923 Build 20190425
Ruud Westerhout

Hello JakiBOii,

My DropBox account is working fine, I just want to stop using it. I do not like the idea of my files being on a cloud-server, I'd rather have the files on my own server, myqnapcloud should be able to fulfill that request. So another Dropbox account is not a solution for me, no.

I started using QSync yesterday again, got somewhat further again. But I was once again disappointed when all of a sudden a file I editted was not shown in QSync anymore although it was still available in the team folder on my mobile. The whole idea of this quest is to have a possibility to use the data on whatever device I want, always in the latest version. Not seeing it on one device is certainly not what I wanted. And, as usual, I am not aware of this being a user error or a problem in the software.

Regards,
Ruud

Return to “Miscellaneous”