QVPN Server and Client together

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
sudheeshb
Starting out

QVPN Server and Client together

Post by sudheeshb »

Hello,

I have a TS -251+ NAS with QT 4.3 release.

Currently I have enabled OpenVPN Sever and OpenVPN Client in my NAS. Both works fine, if I enable only one at a time. If I enable both simultaneously I cannot access my NAS from outside network. I can access it only if I disable OpenVPN client in the NAS. Is there any way to fix this?. I would like to have both Client and Sever running together in the NAS.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: QVPN Server and Client together

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

i did not see your thread but i was also wondering about this question. i was actually going to post my own thread before i saw yours in search.

Anyway just to share, this was what i found, though it is outdated
pwilson wrote: Where did you hear this fantasy? I connect from my Linux Laptops, and kids laptops, and all my Android devices all the time. It never affects my Internet at all. I'm not talking about using a 3rd Party VPN provider, I'm simply talking about running the OpenVPN Server on the NAS. (I don't use the OpenVPN client on the NAS at all. In fact due to incompetent configuration on QNAP's part, you can't operate as both a OpenVPN Server and Client at the same time. It's one or the other. There is no technical reason for this restriction, so I have no idea why QNAP put it in place.

It is possible to have multiple OpenVPN connections setup both as servers and clients, but you can't do so via the NAS Admin WebUI because it won't allow you to do so. It is however fairly easy to accomplish via scripts. In your case this isn't an issue at all. Simply configure the OpenVPN Server on the NAS, and leave it with default settings, with the single exception of actually generating new keys/certificates for OpenVPN to use.

Do not use the "redirect gateway" and you won't have to worry about this non-issue.
viewtopic.php?f=313&t=111806&p=489412&h ... ce#p489244

this is a very old post dated back a few years ago, so not sure whether things have changed or not..... this is exactly what i myself too wanted to ask.

Can both server and client be used at the same time now with the latest QVPN from qts 4.3.5? does anyone know :'

best use of vpn for the qnap would be as wilson suggested
pwilson wrote:
Cloudlink sets up a reverse-PPTP connection, so it really is no more secure than opening the ports. If you are paranoid about security, simply Port-Forward 1194/UDP to your NAS, and disable all other port-forwarding. After you have done this you can setup OpenVPN on your NAS.

Simply connect from your remote PC/Laptop to xxxxxxx.myqnapcloud.com via OpenVPN. Once the OpenVPN connection is active, you can access the NAS Admin WebUI at: https://10.8.0.1/ or http://10.8.0.1:8080/. Obviously https is preferred, but as OpenVPN encrypts the entire connection anyway, it really doesn't matter.

Similarly, if you want to access Twonkymedia remotely, simply access http://10.8.0.1:9000/ remotely. (Enjoy your media from anywhere). :DD :DD :DD
- only port forward what is required by the vpn server
- connect from remote device to the qnap using the vpn
- access the qts = profit :mrgreen:
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
sudheeshb
Starting out

Post by sudheeshb »

Thanks for the post. I see that it is 3 years old as you mentioned.
I am fine with using scripts via SSH ( not via GUI ) if some one provides the guidelines. Any help is appreciated.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Don’t know if you are running the latest firmware and QVPN since you didn’t provide that info but I would open a ticket with QNAP as you should be able to run both at the same time.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
sudheeshb
Starting out

Post by sudheeshb »

I have given the firmware version in the first post. It is 4.3.5.0713. QVPN version number is 2.0.553. I have also raised a QNAP ticket as per your suggestion.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

In the first post you just said 4.3.
sudheeshb wrote:Hello,

I have a TS -251+ NAS with QT 4.3 release.

Currently I have enabled OpenVPN Sever and OpenVPN Client in my NAS. Both works fine, if I enable only one at a time. If I enable both simultaneously I cannot access my NAS from outside network. I can access it only if I disable OpenVPN client in the NAS. Is there any way to fix this?. I would like to have both Client and Sever running together in the NAS.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

what don means is, you need to include 4.3.x Build...... ?

because there are many different builds, and they're not equal :)

there is also QTS 4.3.4 and 4.3.5 which are quite different.

also e.g. 4.3.4 vs another 4.3.4 (although core features will be more or less same) but with different builds may have different things that have since been fixed or feature incrementally added. so hard to tell if you're using latest 4.3.4 or not :' (actually in some builds, some new features sometimes get added. but only when there is a qts version change like from 4.3.4 to 4.3.5 do some major features get changed significantly)

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/download?mod ... y=firmware

based on the firmware yours could either be for latest

Code: Select all

4.3.5.0722 build 20181007
or

Code: Select all

4.3.4.0695 build 20180830

OR even an outdated build,

OR even a much much older qts than 4.3.5 and 4.3.4 :shock: (it's happened before. one guy even didn't update his qnap for more than 3+ years..... :-0 )

we have no idea :(

you can view release notes here for changes between the qts versions and builds
https://www.qnap.com/en/releasenotes/in ... t_choose=5
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
sudheeshb
Starting out

Post by sudheeshb »

I got the following reply from QNAP for the ticket which I raised. Looks like there is no solution :-(

"It looks like the NAS assigning itself a new WAN when acting as the VPN Client is a new spec in QVPN.
I am not sure why they decided to go this way but we have recommended for them to add an option.
Sorry I could not help much more with the issue, hopefully they come around with it in the next update for QVPN."
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* topic locked to prevent further necroposting *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Miscellaneous”