/share/homes/admin directory getting reset/wiped

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
danny6869
New here

/share/homes/admin directory getting reset/wiped

Post by danny6869 »

Why is it that after every firmware update, that directory seems to revert back to factory default?

All I am wanting to do is have some aliases and $PATH adjustments happen via .bashrc/.bash_profile ... and everytime I go through and set this stuff up, a firmware update will eventually wipe that out, and force me to re-find everything I need and get it set again.

One of the reasons I need to do this stuff is opkg is not in the path, not is my installed editor of choice, but more importantly I need to make sure python3.bash is sourced (from the original qpkg which doesn't work without this ... a whole other frustration)

Over the years this NAS has become more of a pain in the ** than it's worth, so hopefully, there's some simple info someone can pass on to me to save aggrivation or educate me on the way things currently are today.

I just want a few little customizations to "stick" across updates. I am not asking much...am I?!
nibbles2bits
Getting the hang of things

Re: /share/homes/admin directory getting reset/wiped

Post by nibbles2bits »

Great question. For security and to be able to run with drives offline, QNAP has a fixed set of files that are overwritten at boot.
You can make customization at boot via autorun.sh which is explained here in the QNAP wiki.
You'll want to click the checkbox in Control Panel that enables autorun.sh to be used, as explained barely in the wiki,
then run the script for our CPU type. In this example we both use the All HAL-based Intel and AMD NAS script.

Return to “Miscellaneous”