QNAP Sudden and Unwanted Shutdown

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Giupul
New here

QNAP Sudden and Unwanted Shutdown

Post by Giupul »

Hello!

I have a TS-231P Nas with 4.3.6.0993 build 20190704 firmware.
Unfortunately from some weeks, I am experiencing sudden and unwanted shutdown. I am in contact with the tech support also, but until now no solutions at the horizon :cry: .
Today, a new sudded and untriggered shutdown has happened. But this time, I heard the shutdown warning beep and I immediately connected to the NAS via web interface. I saw a window with the line 'failed update' with the reference to a log file. Unfortunately the NAS had turned off few second later and I do not remember the log file name and path.
In Control Panel >Sys Log there are no errors, and the shudown log message that you can read in Sys Log is like a normal shutdown without any reference to the process that has triggered it. Even the tech support says that shutdown is voluntary.

Do you have any idea where I can find the log file referenced in the windows that I saw? I think that this file is very important to understand which process is triggering the shutdown and solve the problem.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Re: QNAP Sudden and Unwanted Shutdown

Post by Toxic17 »

these can be quite hard to diagnose. firstly I would would ask have you changed/swapped out memory modules from the default QNAP ram that is fitted as time of purchase.

is your Power supply 110-115v/230-240v supply ok? do you use surge protection or UPS?

might be worth running the QNAP Diagnostics tool (QPKG) and see if that finds anything from all the system log files. did you submit these log files to QNAP support?
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
Giupul
New here

Post by Giupul »

Yes I sent all my dumps and log file to tech support. They suggested me to try installing manually the firmware, however the NAS keeps to restart randomly. Eventually I solved the problem by reinitializing the NAS. I hope that this post can help other users that may experienced my same problem.
Giupul
New here

Post by Giupul »

Unfortunately I was totally wrong because the NAS reinizialization did not solve the problem. Last night I was able to take a screenshot from the QTS web interface just few second before the NAS was shut down automatically. Here is the screenshot:
https://ibb.co/yfmJfkR
My questions are:
- Why on earth the NAS for a failed update (not wanted) should shutdown AUTOMATICALLY making itself useless?
- How can I inspect the system registry as indicated in the message?
- How can I solve the problem? I am experiencing sudden and unwanted shut down since March 2019 and even the tech support that I contacted seems able to solve the problem!
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

I suggest you try updating the firmware manually using this method below.

if it fails you should see some output of why.

https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Manually_Updating_Firmware
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

is yours a random reboot? it will constantly reboot on it's own?

or does it just shutdown and not power backup?

doubt this is related, but i posted other random reboot issues if you want as reference, based on other possible causes
viewtopic.php?f=142&t=150707
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Giupul wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:55 am - Why on earth the NAS for a failed update (not wanted) should shutdown AUTOMATICALLY making itself useless?
It shouldn't.
- How can I inspect the system registry as indicated in the message?
"...registri di sistema." translates to the System Logs to me but you already checked that and obviously Qnap suspport did as well.
- How can I solve the problem? I am experiencing sudden and unwanted shut down since March 2019 and even the tech support that I contacted seems able to solve the problem!
It's not a solution but it could be a workaround to try, untick the automatic firmware check and do your firmware updates manually.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Does it poweroff when the disks are not installed?
Are the disks compatible?
Any non-Qnap RAM?
Giupul
New here

Post by Giupul »

Toxic17 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:00 am I suggest you try updating the firmware manually using this method below.

if it fails you should see some output of why.
In the past I tried a manual update. The NAS updated successfully but the problem is still present.
storageman wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:12 pm Does it poweroff when the disks are not installed?
Are the disks compatible?
Any non-Qnap RAM?
The NAS power off when the disk are installed.
I have an HSGT 4T Nas drive.
I have only Qnap RAM.
Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:02 am is yours a random reboot? it will constantly reboot on it's own?

or does it just shutdown and not power backup?

doubt this is related, but i posted other random reboot issues if you want as reference, based on other possible causes
viewtopic.php?f=142&t=150707
The NAS shuts down and does not power on automatically. I have to press the power button manually to make the NAS working again. This is the reason why this problem is super annoying expecially if you need to access the NAS remotely.
P3R wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:32 pm It's not a solution but it could be a workaround to try, untick the automatic firmware check and do your firmware updates manually.
I think this is a reasonable temporary solutions. However tomorrow the Qnap developers will inspect the NAS with a remote session and I hope they will find the solution.
tonymy01
New here

Post by tonymy01 »

Australian QNAP owner here. No problems whatsoever with my TS-231P for the past 3ish years until 4 days ago when I moved ISP.,
edit2: Nup, think it is just heat related, if I use the auto-fan option, it will shut down reasonably quickly, within a day or 2, even at 20degC ambient (the CPU/board is about 36degC, the HDDs 47degC). If I choose the option to have max fan after 45 and min fan below 35, it seems it stays up for weeks, but I guess an antivirus scan or some other process is working the heat up sometimes and it still (gracefully) shuts down. I use Surveillance station & camera record also, but only when it sees motion events, this seems to build up the HDD heat at times also.

Return to “Miscellaneous”