Can't quit some apps??

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
mlevin77
Know my way around

Can't quit some apps??

Post by mlevin77 »

I rebooted my TS-879Pro because it wasn't answering on the SMB service and the web interface was being slow and displaying weirdly. After the reboot, it's better but I notice that a bunch of services are running that I don't think I had started (PLEX server etc.). I've quit most of these apps, but there are a few that won't quit because when I click the down arrow next to the "Open" dropdown menu, either nothing happens, or it only shows the Display On option:

Nothing happens: Cloud backup sync, QTS SSL certificate
Display On is the only option: License Center, Resource Monitor, Network and Virtual Switch

what's going on, why can't I quit these things (and how do I find out why all of them were running all of a sudden)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-----
TS-879Pro (firmware 4.2.0, 8 hard drives in a RAID6, accessed from Apple machines)
P3R
Guru

Re: Can't quit some apps??

Post by P3R »

mlevin77 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:45 am what's going on, why can't I quit these things...
At least most of the services that you list are vital for your NAS working and intended to run.

I wouldn't expect Plex unless being installed though.

Compared to me you have about twice as many apps installed. Do you really need that when you apparently is allergic to having any of them running?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
mlevin77
Know my way around

Post by mlevin77 »

I guess that's the question. Of the apps that I showed running, which are necessary to the NAS? I don't seem to remember them being on before. But whichever ones aren't required, I'd like to turn them off. I can delete other apps no problem, but they aren't running so are not bothering anything. The only reason I'm even worried about any of them is that the NAS has gotten slower when serving files through SMB, and the other day got so bogged down that the GUI wouldn't work well even.
-----
TS-879Pro (firmware 4.2.0, 8 hard drives in a RAID6, accessed from Apple machines)
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

mlevin77 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:12 am I guess that's the question. Of the apps that I showed running, which are necessary to the NAS?
I don't know but that you can't shut an app down sound like a very good indication of that it's necessary.
The only reason I'm even worried about any of them is that the NAS has gotten slower when serving files through SMB, and the other day got so bogged down that the GUI wouldn't work well even.
I doubt that the very few apps you still have running there is causing your problems. I have many more running (but far less installed) and as you can see on the Resource monitor in the left lower corner, my NAS isn't bogged down by it:
Monitor.jpg
What does your CPU and RAM usage look like?
What does the System log tell you?
Is the NAS reachable from the internet, if so what services?
I can't find Malware Remover among your apps and that's an app that I'd recommend to have running.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
mlevin77
Know my way around

Post by mlevin77 »

> What does your CPU and RAM usage look like?
%top give right nows:
CPU: 1.8% usr 0.8% sys 0.1% nic 96.4% idle 0.6% io 0.0% irq 0.0% sirq
Load average: 1.20 1.24 1.17 2/926 29116
is there something through the web GUI that is more informative?

> What does the System log tell you?
the only thing I see is repeated lines of
Severity Level Date Time Users Source IP Application Category Content
Warning 2019/08/09 08:33:05 System 127.0.0.1 --- --- Re-start process nvrd due to live report out-of-date
which I'd love to get rid of, but haven't figured out a way. Also I'm not sure it's showing me everything (even though it's set to show all) because for example I don't see the reboot event.

> Is the NAS reachable from the internet, if so what services?
yes. At the time the problem happened, it was reachable but acting very slow and wonky, both over http and SMB. Over the last month I've noticed that SMB has been slower than before (video files viewed by VLC over SMB connection pause sometimes). Right now it seems to be ok via ssh and http;

> I can't find Malware Remover among your apps and that's an app that I'd recommend to have running.
ah! I'll install; I didn't know we needed that on Linux too. Is that something I run periodically, or leave it running all the time?
-----
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

mlevin77 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:02 pm > What does your CPU and RAM usage look like?
%top give right nows:
CPU: 1.8% usr 0.8% sys 0.1% nic 96.4% idle 0.6% io 0.0% irq 0.0% sirq
Load average: 1.20 1.24 1.17 2/926 29116
I'm no expert with top but it look like your system isn't overloaded, though still far from idle.
> What does the System log tell you?
the only thing I see is repeated lines of
Severity Level Date Time Users Source IP Application Category Content
Warning 2019/08/09 08:33:05 System 127.0.0.1 --- --- Re-start process nvrd due to live report out-of-date
I don't know but I'd guess that nvrd is related to Surveillance Station. You have both Surveillance station and QUSBCam installed and maybe they didn't shut down properly when you disabled the apps?
> Is the NAS reachable from the internet, if so what services?
yes. At the time the problem happened, it was reachable but acting very slow and wonky, both over http and SMB. Over the last month I've noticed that SMB has been slower than before (video files viewed by VLC over SMB connection pause sometimes). Right now it seems to be ok via ssh and http;
I'm not sure you understood what I meant so I have to ask again. Is your NAS really open and available from anywhere on the whole internet over http and CIFS/SMB? Or are you talking about only on your local LAN?
> I can't find Malware Remover among your apps and that's an app that I'd recommend to have running.
ah! I'll install; I didn't know we needed that on Linux too. Is that something I run periodically, or leave it running all the time?
All operating system can be hacked and NASes are attractive targets for the bad guys.

Malware Remover will automatically scan the system as long as you have it running.

mlevin77
Know my way around

Post by mlevin77 »

> I'm not sure you understood what I meant so I have to ask again. Is your NAS really open and available from anywhere on the whole internet over http and CIFS/SMB? Or are you talking about only on your local LAN?

sorry, I didn't understand. No, it's behind a cablemodem and a router, and should not be available to anyone not on the LAN.

> nvrd is related to Surveillance Station.

yes; posts on-line suggest it's a bug and I haven't seen anyone find a solution other than to not run the Surveillance Station.
-----
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

mlevin77 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:30 am > nvrd is related to Surveillance Station.

yes; posts on-line suggest it's a bug and I haven't seen anyone find a solution other than to not run the Surveillance Station.
Please contact Qnap support.

Return to “Miscellaneous”