TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
cayou2000
Starting out

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by cayou2000 »

The same on my side, it's the 17th NAS i owned or install and except a dead PSU on a ds411+ i Never had hardware failure even with CPU, ram or extension card modifications...
I think this issue can be putted in the same case that the Atom failure of Synology x15+ séries.
sympatric
First post

Post by sympatric »

Just adding my name to the list. TVS-872XT dead. Purchased March 2020, died September 2021. RMA filed. Unfortunately I didn't grab the MB Vers.
Qmann
Easy as a breeze

Post by Qmann »

My TS-877 was a lemon and took over a year to get it replaced. When they finally did replace it, they sent me a 872XT which I was extremely grateful for! But now, 12 months into it with the 872XT I am getting random reboots since June or July. I figured it was a bad firmware release, but then more releases came out and still random reboots occasionally. I then took out my 64G memory add-on and replaced it with the original 16G QNAP memory, but, the reboots are still happening. Sometimes it's 20 days, sometimes less than 15 minutes and it reboots.

I just looked and I have v1.3 motherboard. They only gave me 6 months warranty when they replaced it 12 months ago.... It hasn't completely died yet, but I suppose that might be tomorrow. QNAP did issue a RMA without any questions, but we will see what it's going to cost me in the end. :?:

Q
Last edited by Qmann on Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Model: TVS-872XT 64GB (Crucial 64GB Kit CT2K32G4SFD8266)
2 x 1TB XPG 1TB NVMe (ASX8200PNP-1TT-C) [RAID-1]
5 x 16TB EXOS [RAID-5]
Borg Backup running to an offisite pi, AND to the local TS-569L
Model: TS-569L Borg server for backups
6 x 8TB Ironwolf [RAID-5]
Qotom-Q355G4 Fanless Mini Micro PC running pSense in front of everything
haproxy for anything inside the LAN
bokr71
Been there, done that

Post by bokr71 »

Qmann wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:40 am …12 months into it with the 872XT I am getting random reboots since June or July. I figured it was a bad firmware release, but then more releases came out and still random reboots occasionally. I then took out my 64G memory add-on and replaced it with the original 16G QNAP memory, but, the reboots are still happening. WTH?? Sometimes it's 20 days, sometimes less than 15 minutes and it reboots.
That sounds EXACTLY like what I went through. QNAP tried everything; they had me test memory, reseat the PCIe card, even update FW in a “special” way. I eventually got a replacement - MB ver. 1.7 - and I did a clean-out of unnecessary programs running, and I haven’t seen a freeze/reboot for weeks now. I believe it was uninstalling all programs I really do not need, not the MB upgrade. Why? Because I did have one freeze up right after I got the replacement unit… Am I 100% sure? No, as it happened on the second day, and the whole inserting disks with FW in a new unit was a bit freaky.
Apple: MS M1 Max 10c/32c/16c/64GB/2TB - MP 3.2GHz 16c/192GB/2TB/2xRadeon Pro - nMP 3.5GHz 6C/64GB/1TB/D700 - Echo Express 1TB Accelsior/4x500GB NVMe Sonnet/Sonnet Solo10G PCIe - MBP 13" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MBP 14" M1 Pro/16GB/512GB - MB 12" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MMI 6c i5/8GB/500GB - 2 x TC 3TB - HomePods - iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches...

Primary NAS: QNAP TVS-872XT 7x10TB + 2x512GB NVMe SSD. BackUp: Cloud iDrive - Locally QNAP TR-004 4x12TB

Network: ISP Gtateway - TP-Link Deco - QNAP QSW-M408-4C
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

Qmann wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:40 am Holy QNAP F***ery! My TS-877 was a lemon and took over a year to get it replaced. When they finally did replace it, they sent me a 872XT which I was extremely grateful for! But now, 12 months into it with the 872XT I am getting random reboots since June or July. I figured it was a bad firmware release, but then more releases came out and still random reboots occasionally. I then took out my 64G memory add-on and replaced it with the original 16G QNAP memory, but, the reboots are still happening. WTH?? Sometimes it's 20 days, sometimes less than 15 minutes and it reboots.

I just looked and I have v1.3 motherboard. They only gave me 6 months warranty when they replaced it 12 months ago.... I suppose I am f***ed because I didn't log my random reboots earlier this summer.... It hasn't completely died yet, but I suppose that might be tomorrow.
They seem to have implemented an extended warranty for these units because they realize they are defective. Open a case and let them know you received one of the units with the bad batch of motherboards and have been experiencing the random reboot issue for the past however many months. They'll likely replace the MB for you.
MA043HA
New here

Post by MA043HA »

Came back from a week's vacation to a "scanning memory" message at startup that didn't move on after 1 hour so I held the power button to shut it down then nothing but the red light underneath. Just put ticket in with QNAP. TVS-872XT bought from Amazon July 2019 MB v1.3
Qmann
Easy as a breeze

Post by Qmann »

I have created a simple Google form to survey anyone that has experienced this issue. Everything is anonymous and you can fake the email if you don't want to edit your response later. I can post the pie graphs when there are some results and maybe we'll see a pattern. If anyone thinks that we need additional questions, please let me know and I will add them.

(Maybe the OP can put this link at the front of this thread)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

Q
Model: TVS-872XT 64GB (Crucial 64GB Kit CT2K32G4SFD8266)
2 x 1TB XPG 1TB NVMe (ASX8200PNP-1TT-C) [RAID-1]
5 x 16TB EXOS [RAID-5]
Borg Backup running to an offisite pi, AND to the local TS-569L
Model: TS-569L Borg server for backups
6 x 8TB Ironwolf [RAID-5]
Qotom-Q355G4 Fanless Mini Micro PC running pSense in front of everything
haproxy for anything inside the LAN
cayou2000
Starting out

Post by cayou2000 »

OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

cayou2000 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:08 pm I'm doing my part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_7FaWnlhS4
The book was better. :wink:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
septemberknight
New here

Post by septemberknight »

Hi folks,
TVS-472XT kicked the bucket as well.Has been on power schedule, and one fine morning decided not to wake up anymore.Now cover your ears: I just simply disconnected the main cord.Guess what ? when plugged back in started up..stuck on initialising hardware screen...power cable unplug again.Same game 2-3 times finally has been started and running all day without a glitch.Following morning same story, same unplug-plug back game.
Now after a few days decided not doing anything.The magic power cord ripping doesn't help anymore.Wonder if there is a capable man out there who can point at the right direction.What could it be? Warranty is already lost, due to local PC Shop attempted repair.PSU seem ok they say, has been tested.
Usual solid red light at the bottom.At PSU Jump, (Green+Black) ,screen comes on, saying booting system ...fans spinning up for 2-3 sec then stopping.Screen still on, red light turns to green and system booting forever...
Wonder if anyone ever took the NAS apart and investigated with some electronic skills?!
dan7383
New here

Post by dan7383 »

The same happened to me and I thought I was doing something wrong or there was a problem with with the PSU. So I was just waisting time because it always ended up going on with a few tries. The thing is one day it just didn't. And then I was out of guarantee. And I found out this problem and I guess, this was the problem all alone. My recommendation is to get in touch with QNAP as soon as there is any problem with these units, because one day, it may not turn on again, and then you will be out of guarantee and it has been really hard to get them to recognize the problem and extend the guarantee to solve it.
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

dan7383 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:37 pm The same happened to me and I thought I was doing something wrong or there was a problem with with the PSU. So I was just waisting time because it always ended up going on with a few tries. The thing is one day it just didn't. And then I was out of guarantee. And I found out this problem and I guess, this was the problem all alone. My recommendation is to get in touch with QNAP as soon as there is any problem with these units, because one day, it may not turn on again, and then you will be out of guarantee and it has been really hard to get them to recognize the problem and extend the guarantee to solve it.
They've extended the warranty period on 872XTs with the 1.3 motherboard. But in general your advice is good. Open tickets early and often. Not only do you have paper trail should you later need a replacement (too common with QNAP hardware) but maybe a flood of tickets to deal with will convince QNAP that investing in more quality insurance is a good investment and we'll all be better off for it.
rxs0
New here

Post by rxs0 »

Well add me to the list. I just updated my TVS-872XT to the latest firmware yesterday and now the machine will not start up after a shutdown. I bought this unit on 1/22/19.

My advice. DO NOT UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE until this problem is resolved. Backup your data prior to updating firmware. I am convinced this is the result of yet another QNAP fiasco, this time bad firmware. Needless to say, this will be the last QNAP I ever buy.

Thanks,
Rich
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

rxs0 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:56 am I just updated my TVS-872XT to the latest firmware yesterday and now the machine will not start up after a shutdown. I bought this unit on 1/22/19.
There are many indications that Qnap are now covering these faulty motherboards even on units out of warranty. Please contact Qnap support and see if they won't help you as well...
Backup your data prior to updating firmware.
To have a backup of any data that you care about is vital at all times, not only when doing system management.
I am convinced this is the result of yet another QNAP fiasco, this time bad firmware.
And I'm convinced your analysis is incorrect. Software causing irreparable harm on hardware is extremely uncommon. Much more likely, it's the power cycling that lead to this situation on the motherboards of the old revision that are old enough (about 1-3 years) to have developed this fault.
Needless to say, this will be the last QNAP I ever buy.
Maybe you should wait with deciding that until you know more about how they handle the situation?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
rxs0
New here

Post by rxs0 »

P3R,
I have been using the TVS-872XT system problem-free since the unit was purchased in 1/22/19. The unit auto updated to the latest firmware last week. The unit worked well after the firmware update days later while the machine was NOT shutdown after the firmware update. The unit however did not turn back on with the front power button after the unit was shutdown completely by software shutdown. The unit worked well with all previous firmware updates. This problem coincided exactly IMMEDIATELY after the recent firmware update. My unit was at least (2) firmware updates behind at the time of the auto update. I unfortunately left the auto firmware update option on as recommended after the Qlocker ransomware attack.

I rarely use the unit which is turned off most of the time. Fortunately, the unit was turned off during the Qlocker ransomware attack. I rarely power cycle the unit, only when I need to retrieve data. The unit is in mint condition. Power cycling is likely not the problem.

I realize there is likely an underlying motherboard defect that multiple posts on this post have already documented. The recent firmware updates likely don't work well with the underlying old motherboard defect.
Again, I would strongly advise against updating the firmware on these older TVS-872XT motherboard units until this problem is directly addressed by QNAP. I recommend turning off the auto firmware update option on these older TVS-872XT units to prevent bricking your unit.

Sadly, with the recently Qlocker ransomware fiasco, firmware updates are a necessity to protect your unit. After the attack, I have extra protected my system from attack by physical disconnection (air gap) from the internet and keeping the unit turned off when not in use.

I have opened a service ticket. I will update this post with QNAP's response since my unit is now out of warranty. Hopefully they will offer the warranty extension that other users on this post have received.

Thanks,
Rich

Return to “Miscellaneous”