TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
P3R
Guru

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by P3R »

toebes wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:55 pm Fortunately I have a continuous backup but it is a USB drive in the QNAP backup vault format so I need to figure out how to pull data off it with a dead QNAP.
This is why we should always strive for not locking our files into proprietary backup formats. HBS3 can do plain file system backups as well. But now that you already is in that situation maybe this can help.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

obiwanKenobi wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:17 am But in the suggested section or often bought together I see different cables (SFP or SFP +DAC) - are these just for connecting networking devices Routers/Switches etc (I have one in my Unifi set up) or should I be using this to connect to the NAS to Mac?
As far as I can see you look for RJ45 products, which I think is a good idea for you, so just ignore those SFP/DAC products.
...you were best to match drives (same make/model/serial, etc) for best performance and better data surety...
It waste performance to mix in 5400 rpm drives in a 7200 rpm array and the awful SMR WD Reds (EFAX in the model name) should of course always be avoided at all cost but other than that, it's not a problem at all to mix disk manufacturers and models as long as they are all good NAS or enterprise disks.
Last edited by P3R on Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
obiwanKenobi
Getting the hang of things

Post by obiwanKenobi »

Thank you @P3R - this is helpful and much appreciated.
I did not know to avoid the SMR WD reds - was not on my list but useful to know
Also on the speed matching
Wishing you a Merry Christmas or Happy holidays or whatever you celebrate
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hello Obiwan Kenobi -
I don't know what your application is
QNAP has many users - consumer users that have family photos, and pro users, which hopefully you are.
I don't care about consumer users. I only deal with Pro users. Someone that makes money with a NAS does not care if it costs $500 or $2000 - that is nothing, when you do this for a living.
It is painfully obvious that a new TVS-h874, once you add the RAM and the 10G card (yes, the QXG-10G1T is no longer available, but the $199 TVS-10G2TB is available everywhere) - is almost the same price
as the TVS-h1288X. Both the TVS-h874 and the TVS-h1288X are both great products - and they are not dying.
But what the heck to I know - in 2024 will they all start to die - I DO NOT KNOW - and I bet QNAP does not know. We will see. But the TVS-872XT is a disaster, and SO FAR the TVS-h1288X and TVS-h1688X
have been fantastic. And SO FAR, the TVS-h874 has been great. Do not quote me in 2024 if these all die !!!!!

your iMac Pro has a native 10G port. The 2017 iMac Pro design is an Aquantia AQC-107. Currently the QNAP QXG-10G2TB (and the Mac Pro Studio) all use the new Marvell Aquantia AQC-113 chip, so it's all compatible. You do not need a Sonnet or OWC Thunderbolt 3 to 10 G adapter. Stop it with the SFP+ questions. You just need cheap Cat 6 cable (the blue cable that came with your QNAP) - that works up to 55 meters (180 feet) at full 10G bandwidth.

And stop it with SHR. If I was to setup a Synology DS1821+, (since there is no Synology DS1821xs+) I would still have to add a 16 Gig RAM chip and a Synology 10G card, which is the same price as the QXG-10G2TB.
Synology BTRFS **. And now that I am used to ZFS with QNAP QuTS - QNAP QTS ** as well. ZFS rules - it's only a matter of time before Synology offers this.

The ONLY reason Synology users talk about SHR is because they want this to be a like a horrible useless (and now basically out of business) Drobo product. Because the Cheap A#$ users would not buy ALL the drives to build a RAID array properly. Well guess what - if you are building a PROFESSIONAL Synology system - you buy ALL the drives (for a DS1821+ or DS3622xs+) and you set this up in RAID 6 like a PROFESSIONAL - not like some LOSER consumer user that wants pictures of their grand children, or new baby photos. We do this for a LIVING - we pay for the medical bills, and car payments, and house or condo payments - and this is not a game, or a joke, or "fun" - this is how we make a living - and so we buy the RIGHT EQUIPMENT to make a living with our QNAP (or Synology, or Asustor) - and you do what it takes to do the right thing.

I never knew that the TVS-872XT would be a disaster, and I bet QNAP never knew either. But it was. Stop looking at every penny. And if this is just a hobby for you, and you are having a good time with your QNAP - well, I am sorry - but now, I don't care. "If you are a PRO user - I will support you in any way that I can.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
opensourcefan

Post by opensourcefan »

Bob Zelin wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:34 am Hello Obiwan Kenobi -
... And if this is just a hobby for you, and you are having a good time with your QNAP - well, I am sorry - but now, I don't care. "If you are a PRO user - I will support you in any way that I can.

Bob Zelin
Bob Bob Bob,

Curious if your post could have been worded at all a little less arrogant. I can only shake my head at that comment, it truly is amazing.

It's been a while, you in hiding?

Happy Holidays to you.
Qnap TVS-X72xt Motherboard Failures Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Location Update Spreadsheet
THOMAS!g2v
First post

Post by THOMAS!g2v »

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for their great input, especially Bob Zelin! I'm in the process of returning my newly installed TVS-872 ( the generous return time around Christmas is greatly appreciated ) and I'll be getting a TVS-h1288X instead. I was wanting Thunderbolt or highspeed fiber, but once again, I'll follow Bob Zelin's advice. 10 Gbe is what I'll be staying with.

Experience is learning through our own mistakes....

Wisdom is learning through the mistakes of others....

Bob, you are real blessing to folks like me. You words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays to one and all!
jaysona
Been there, done that

Post by jaysona »

Bob Zelin wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:34 am ... not like some LOSER consumer user ....
Takes one to know one - apparently. :roll:
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-872x (i7-8700. 64GB) (Plex server & encoding host) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6706T (32GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AX86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 3004.388.6_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC66U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.12_6
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)
directy
New here

Post by directy »

Hi, same problem here

TS-673A-8G

Brand new, dec22
After turn off it does not turn on again
red light on.. inside on the MB
lights near the rj45 port on
no lights on the front panel
diwiwi
Easy as a breeze

Post by diwiwi »

directy wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:56 am Hi, same problem here

TS-673A-8G
Hi,
This is a different model, likely not the same problem.
If your NAS is under warranty, which I suspect it is as the TS-673A is relatively new, please open a ticket with QNAP, for warranty repair.
opensourcefan

Post by opensourcefan »

diwiwi wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:11 pm
directy wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:56 am Hi, same problem here

TS-673A-8G
Hi,
This is a different model, likely not the same problem.
If your NAS is under warranty, which I suspect it is as the TS-673A is relatively new, please open a ticket with QNAP, for warranty repair.
Yes and if it does happen to be the same issue please come back and confirm. Let's hope it isn't :shock:

directy
New here

Post by directy »

Yes... the problem seems to be the same. Is dead... won't turn on and i can see a red light inside... on the motherboard.
diwiwi
Easy as a breeze

Post by diwiwi »

Well it does not mean the cause is the same. Here is what appears to be a defect on TVS-X72XT.
Have you opened a ticket with QNAP?
directy
New here

Post by directy »

yes... Qnap said that i can return it to my reseller
Max1mizer
Starting out

Post by Max1mizer »

vtcats wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:17 am I’ve been following this thread since I purchased my TVS-872XT this past February. Does anyone know of people who own these that still work after a year? While I backup to another external hard drive and took out an extended warranty, that doesn’t make me feel a whole lot better if this fails because it took me awhile to learn how to set it up and I’d have to do that all over again. I wish there were better reviews that spoke to longevity in addition to the usual features etc.
I feel like I want to be more preemptive and purchase a different unit to then make as my primary, but I could be looking at the same issue with that unit unless people know of comparable units with known reliability??
I bought mine on March 2021 TVS-872XT but ... my MB is v1.7 -> it's already in extended warranty anyway till March 2026, but so far I don't have any problems. So far as I know MB v1.0 and v1.1 had lots of troubles. Not sure about v1.3 but v1.7 is (as people say) "removed" from troubles.
opensourcefan

Post by opensourcefan »

Max1mizer wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:54 am I bought mine on March 2021 TVS-872XT but ... my MB is v1.7 -> it's already in extended warranty anyway till March 2026, but so far I don't have any problems. So far as I know MB v1.0 and v1.1 had lots of troubles. Not sure about v1.3 but v1.7 is (as people say) "removed" from troubles.
1.3 is definitely bad.
1.7 and above were in replaced units.

Return to “Miscellaneous”