TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
rafale
Easy as a breeze

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by rafale »

@krock72, Thanks for the report. It is more a post about the hardware failure and the issue with the warranty service than it is about backup which for some reason many people on the forum seem to jump to a bit too quickly and start judging how we use our NAS. It's always puzzled me. Merry Christmas!
Server: TVS-872XT i9 9900 ES, 64GB DDR4 2666MHz, intel X550-T2, Asus RTX3070 Dual OC (On pico PSU), 2x Phison E12 1TB M.2, 4x Micron 5210 7.68TB, 4x WD Purple 4TB
Backup NAS: TS-473 20GB DDR4 2400MHz, Mellanox ConnectX3, 2x Samsung PM871b 256GB M.2, 4x WD Red 8TB
Former units: TVS-1282, TS-871, TS-469
Big09
New here

Post by Big09 »

That's 10 dead TVS-872XT'S and counting
DropBear
First post

Post by DropBear »

Another one to add to the list...Qnap did end up sending me a new unit as a replacement which took a couple of weeks
scarastisis
New here

Post by scarastisis »

My 872xt also just died. Rebooted and just a red light on the motherboard and no response whatsoever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jamiecruickshank
First post

Post by jamiecruickshank »

I have just come onto this forum and furious is an understatement. I have the TVS-472XT and my one has just died the same way, however I am really up the creek without a paddle as I bought my QNAP in the UK and I am currently living in Japan.
So add me to this list, red light on motherboard after shutdown.

So I completely stripped my one down to the bare metal, I reseated the CPU, cleaned all the contacts with contact cleaner and tested the Power supply. I removed the PSU and jumped the Green to Black to test the PSU and all the voltage rails are correct. I had jumped the wire when connected to the QNAP and it does power up but no boot.
czimmerm
First post

Post by czimmerm »

Chalk up another one here. Upgraded to latest OS last night. When the system rebooted it never came back up. No response to anything, but the ethernet connection is lit up. I opened a trouble ticket with QNAP. Not happy about a failure 14 months after spending a couple grand on a NAS...
maniac0r
New here

Post by maniac0r »

I have TS-869PRO and was thinking (after digesting it's price) about upgrade to TVS-872XT as i am now worried that 10+ years of current unit will lead to failure sooner than later..

Reading here that 12+ users had fatal issue with 872XT after around 1 year of usage i am now worried..

If i recall correctly when i bought 869PRO I had to replace (Fotron) power supply once and then replaced PSU fan with after market one due to whining noises. But this was really in first 2-3 months of usage so it was not so critical as I had my data still readily available on former NAS. In later 10years of usage there was no hw issue and mostly also no sw issue (at least nothing significant).

Please what was the result of the 872XT warranty service - you guys all have got new units and those are working fine now? Waiting time around weeks to one month? Was the root cause identified?

Thanks!
JakiChan
New here

Post by JakiChan »

Are there any similarities to these shutdowns? New units, older units, etc?
PGC77
First post

Post by PGC77 »

Another died TVS-872XT here (1 year old).
I updated the firmware two days ago. FW update went well and the NAS was running fine for two days. Today I wanted to move the NAS to a new place in my office. Did a proper shutdown but when trying to restart the unit, the LCD display lit up for a few seconds and just went black. Now nothing is working anymore.
Now I'm worried, if it's the PSU or the Mainboard. Ordering and installing a new PSU would not be that hard and a few retailers have several models on stock. Despite the unit is still under warranty, I wan't to avoid the hassle of sending the unit in. I'm also a video editor and I have some important client work to do. Of course I have a backup but as someone wrote above, it's all about the speed. It's kinda strange that so many TVS-X72XT die after +/- one year.

To all TVS-X72XT users with the same problem: was it an issue with the PSU or the mainboard?
zyphaz
Starting out

Post by zyphaz »

Late to the party, but I figured I'd add my experience as well.

Last year my TVS-872XT started experiencing spontaneous reboots (July 22nd according to my ticket history). A month of troubleshooting/E-mails back and forth and I ended up RMA'ing it with a diagnosis of a failing motherboard. Due to COVID supply chain impact, I was advised not to send my unit in right away, even though the RMA was approved. I waited another month and then sent in my 872. Within a week I had a brand new 872, new serial numbers across the whole unit, not just a replaced motherboard. I've had no issues since with the new unit that I received in October.
pharoz
Starting out

Post by pharoz »

Searched for TVS-872xt power issue and found this post... Add another one to the list.

This is the 2nd 872xt that I had failed. No power. Only red light on motherboard like everyone elses. The first one was 3 years ago and exhibit the same issue a few months into owning it. Got a replacement, lasted almost 2 years, but had really weird issues; bad LCD/CPU fan failure, NVMe failure (even though they were less than a year old), and then random reboots and eventually it just died. All my NAS were on UPS, so I know it gets clean power. This is pretty frustrating because my last NAS (a 659 Pro II), lasted over 7 years without a hiccup and I ran it hard! It was built like a tank. For some reason, the TVS-872xt are much more sensitive to reboots and movements than the older units. Feels like the 872xt will fall over if I sneeze at it the wrong way.

When it works, it's great, though. not looking forward to this RMA.
pharoz
Starting out

Post by pharoz »

So, after putting back my dead 872xt, I noticed a cable near the front panel of the LCD towards the left side that was jostled loose. Looks like it's held together by a white liquid glue they put on there possibly knowing that it could come loose. I remember my first unit also had that goob as well. I'm starting to think that those of us experiencing all these hardware issues is because that cable gets pushed out slightly whille we're closing the case back up and that causes some sort of short that eventually kills the motherboard.

It's a pretty bad hardware design, especially with the way the cable is prone to come loose as you're closing the case back up. Doesn't help that the goop's clearance to the top of the case is extremely small and is almost rubbery in nature resulting in it gripping the top of the case as you're sliding the case back on. I'm guessing that it may also come loose during shipping as well which leads to the bad connection that eventually causes all sorts of weird hardware anomoly over a short period of time. In most of our cases, this seem to surface within 2 years...

For those that own these units, you'll probably want to be extra careful and double-check that this cable is securely seated. The only way I was able to seat the connection was to use a long skinny flat nose screwdriver and wedge it between the cable and the case to make sure the connection is secured. Either way, the unit is already toast. Hope this helps someone.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m1FIxP ... 5RlfD/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rzBHeR ... bTQkc/view
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Swedishfishx2
Starting out

Post by Swedishfishx2 »

As someone before me wrote in this forum, I'm late to the party - but my QNAP TVS-872XT with 5 x Seagate Barracuda Pro 10 TB drives started to act strange a couple of weeks ago. I had shut it down just to re-arrange some furniture and then the "power-on" button just did not react. It did send the chills down my spine. Checked the mains, nothing. Took out a drive and re-inserted. Nothing. Moved it, change the mains cable and it just powered up!

I left it on for a day. Then decided, that I maybe did something wrong. Shut it down again. Moved it. Fired up again as normal. That's good. A couple of days later I had to shut it down. Of course, it did not start again. Moved it. Change mains cable. Used a cable extender. Started! It's been on for a week now. I do not dare to shut it down but then I found this thread and everything comes together. It's not me, it's the darn QNAP TVS-872XT that is on the verge to give up on me.

I have noted some things. The "power-on" button is making that click "as normal" but it seems to fail to trigger that normal "power up" cycle sometimes. In my case, sometimes works and sometimes does not work. Worrying.

I bought the QNAP TVS-872XT in early April 2019 which makes it almost two years old now. Living in Sweden, what would you guys recommend? Contacting QNAP or the re-seller (ProShop in Denmark)? I would obviously never send the disks or the NVME M2-SDD with the unit itself. I am soo glad I found this forum! I was about to lose hope!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Swedishfishx2 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:01 am bought the QNAP TVS-872XT in early April 2019 which makes it almost two years old now. Living in Sweden, what would you guys recommend? Contacting QNAP or the re-seller (ProShop in Denmark)?
By law resellers in Sweden have to offer consumers (not business customers) a 3 year right to complain (reklamationsrätt) about faults in the product. The warranty offered by the manufacturer is a separate thing. As a consumer you can choose the one you find the most attractive. If you choose warranty with Qnap you need to pay for shipping the product to them (Qnap pay for return shipping). The reseller instead will pay for the shipping both ways but it may take slightly longer as they most likely will need to send it to Qnap anyway. Please refer to the reseller terms of purchase (köpvillkor) and the Qnap Warranty Terms and Conditions.

The problem in your case is that it's an intermittent issue. There's a risk that they can't find anything wrong with the unit and will ship it back to you so describe the fault carefully.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Swedishfishx2
Starting out

Post by Swedishfishx2 »

P3R wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:05 am
Swedishfishx2 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:01 am bought the QNAP TVS-872XT in early April 2019 which makes it almost two years old now. Living in Sweden, what would you guys recommend? Contacting QNAP or the re-seller (ProShop in Denmark)?
By law resellers in Sweden have to offer consumers (not business customers) a 3 year right to complain (reklamationsrätt) about faults in the product. The warranty offered by the manufacturer is a separate thing. As a consumer you can choose the one you find the most attractive. If you choose warranty with Qnap you need to pay for shipping the product to them (Qnap pay for return shipping). The reseller instead will pay for the shipping both ways but it may take slightly longer as they most likely will need to send it to Qnap anyway. Please refer to the reseller terms of purchase (köpvillkor) and the Qnap Warranty Terms and Conditions.

The problem in your case is that it's an intermittent issue. There's a risk that they can't find anything wrong with the unit and will ship it back to you so describe the fault carefully.
Thanks a lot for your response! Appreciated!
Turns out that when I check with QNAP my 2 year warranty with them expire on 20 Feb 2021! But, on the other hand, as you point out I will have a 3 year complain (reklamationsrätt) going directly to the re-seller. I guess my challenge is to get the 22 TB onto something else while the unit is travelling the world before hopefully being repaired. Well, unless the unit decides to work fully once reaching it's destination, that is. Now, before I read your message I already logged a ticket with the QNAP-support - probably making me pay for shipping the unit to them anyway. Bummer.

Seems that we are a few people here with the TVS-872XT and some similar issues hitting us, even if my experience is somewhat intermittent. Wonder what QNAP says about this, or if they are too big to notice?

Return to “Miscellaneous”