TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
wilsodg
Know my way around

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by wilsodg »

I just got my 872xT back 12 days after sending for warranty repair (21 months old). They sent a new unit back - have not checked manufacturing date, but firmware was a 2019 build, so maybe get same issue again in 2023. My other QNAPs have worked fine for many many years - looks like 872 has issues, but I cannot fault the QNAP responsiveness in sorting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TVS-872XT with TR-004 and D800C
TS670Pro with UX500-P expansion
TS569Pro
genii_central
First post

Post by genii_central »

Well - this forum thread has sadly just answered my questions about my suddenly non-responsive TVS-872XT. Adding another near identical report of a TVS-872XT with a non-responsive main power button.

Like all the rest not quite two years old. Installed and running flawlessly as an editing station on 10G since late april of 2019. LAN ports still show power and lights, but the main unit will not power on from the main switch, and the LAN does not respond to pings on 10G or 1G.
wilsodg
Know my way around

Post by wilsodg »

To all those with failing units before the end of the 2 year warranty, I say “raise a ticket and get it returned”. QNAP were very responsive sorting my issues. To those who are outside warranty - I think I would still see if they can sort it as a goodwill gesture. In some places, even if outside warranty, a manufacturer is obligated to resolve an issue if it fails and reasonably should not have. The fact that there is a lot of chatter out there re 872 failures indicates an underlying manufacturing issue.
TS569Pro
Skwor
Know my way around

Post by Skwor »

weathernerd wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:33 am Well, I've just verified the power supply is ok, all the voltages check out fine. I'm pretty sure its the motherboard is the problem.

What was particularly interesting was that when I disconnected the 24 pin connector that feeds the motherboard, but left the 20 pin connector in, when I jumped pins 15 and 16 to get the PS to cut on, the fans started blowing like normal. When I connect the 24 pin connector to the motherboard, then jump pins 15 and 16, just as the OP had happen, LCD lites up, says booting, fans turn for half a second then stop, never get a beep from the system, and the RED led on the motherboard illuminated, which apparently means its dead.
Curious, is it often moist? Damp? where you keep your NAS.
NAS:
TS-453Be
2-4 Gig QNAP ram sticks
1x12 TB Seagate Iron Wolf and 3x12 TB Seagate Exos
Mainly used as a Plex Server and Photo manager (QuMagie is actually pretty good)

WD 12 TB Elements for each hard drive - External HD BU to the NAS movie database and Photos
Swedishfishx2
Starting out

Post by Swedishfishx2 »

Skwor wrote:
Curious, is it often moist? Damp? where you keep your NAS.
Well, I can certainly confirm that my TVS-872XT unit was hosted in a perfectly dry and ideal environment before it suddenly started to act up on my in early February just 22 months into service.

My new unit arrived yesterday. ImageImageImage I have yet to get it fired up though. Will it run for another 22 months and then die or run beyond that? Image

Agree on whats been said about the QNAP-support - very nice, very helpful and persistant guys.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
greghuson
New here

Post by greghuson »

I can add my system to this list, just drove out to Pomona to drop it off for warranty repair. I was expecting to buy a 'spare,' but even here in Los Angeles it's difficult to find one you can pick up 'same day,' and by the time I get one shipped mine will be back from service. Eventually, I'll buy a second unit.
infotecmb
Starting out

Post by infotecmb »

24 days after the death, I have received the replacement unit. Paid $1040USD + shipping for after warranty service.
New device comes with firmware 4.4.1 (20191113) and MAC address is newer: 24:5e:be:38:xx:xx -> 24:5e:be:57:xx:xx
It has 6 months of warranty.

It was easy to restore the system using instructions provided by QNAP.

The new device has a new issue - "random colour dots flickering on the screen in 4096x2160x60 screen resolution", so probably something changed in the technological process and HDMI output is more sensitive to digital noise than before. Let's hope they resolved the main issue that caused the death of the original unit.
greghuson
New here

Post by greghuson »

Hand Delivered my TVS 872 XT to warranty service in Pomona after receiving an RMA. I bugged them via chat a couple times, and may or may not worked the name 'Bob Zelin' into our conversation a few times. (Also one of my favorite vendors, Maxx Digital, may or may not have called on my behalf!) Anyway, 5 days later Jimmy from customer service posted to say the RMA was ready for pickup - so I drove back out to Pomona (30 miles away, not bad with 'Covid Light' traffic) and picked it up.

That's pretty great warranty service for a $2100 server! Still, next time I feel like making a capital expenditure, I'll buy a spare.

With Bob's quick help, I'm already back online - fortunately I was between projects and didn't miss a beat. (I highly recommend having your server die during down time - far less stressful!)
KL888
New here

Post by KL888 »

Hi All, coming to this forum as My TVS 872XT is dead. The sequence of events is I tried to update the QNAP last night with the latest FW, process as per norm. In the morning I got this message BIOS Q016AT11 - checking memory. Seemed like it was stuck on this message after waiting a few hours. So I maybe incorrectly reset it from the back (hole). After the screen switched off the unit would not switch back on. There is no display and the front power button and reset button don't do anything. There is power as I see the network orange light still on. The fans are not moving. I removed the 8 drives and tried to power up but nothing happened. Also took out the ram and reinstalled and nothing happened. Have wrote off to QNAP and waiting. Am guessing it maybe the motherboard, as some have hinted. Anyone found out from QNAP why their 872 is dead? Unfortunately my warranty expired by 2 mths after 2 yrs. If it is the motherboard, with the cost of postage and parts it will be half the price of a new unit. Worse case is maybe buy another unit, move the drives across and extend the warranty by 3 yrs. Has anyone confirmed from QNAP the reason why their 872 died. Thanks in advance
Swedishfishx2
Starting out

Post by Swedishfishx2 »

The story of my TVS-872xt unit continues, but at the same time, has now come to an end. To reiterate a bit - in early February I suddenly experienced intermittent issues with the unit not powering up as expected. After some troubleshooting on my own I logged a ticket with QNAP support on 15 Feb. After excellent support from the QNAP guys and more troubleshooting, I opened up an RMA with the reseller on 3 March. I received a brand new TVS-872xt unit on 1 April, actually one day before the 2-year warranty expired.

With "to the point" and good instructions from the QNAP-support I got the unit working within an hour. After another couple of days, my old licences were transferred and just about everything is now back to normal. GREAT! (At no extra cost for me here in Sweden).

It seems that all TVS-872xt units are shipped with the same version of the firmware. Mine is no exception. My old unit had a manufacture date of 2018 and my new unit 2020. I am indeed keeping my fingers crossed that the real cause of all the issues with the TVS-872xt units was found and fixed in 2020...?

For me, it took two months from when I noticed the intermittent issue of having a unit not powering up properly until I got a new unit back. It's a long time but all this was a learning for me. 1) RAID (again) is no backup. 2) Intermittent issues are hard to troubleshoot. 3) QNAP support are both professionals and nice. 4) Having a NAS-unit fail does not mean that data are gone. 5) Warranty are bliss. 6) A two-year warranty is still just a couple of years.

All in all, I'm good now but that new rumoured expansion unit to replace the TR-004 would be helpful... :'
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Swedishfishx2 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:24 pm I received a brand new TVS-872xt unit on 1 April, actually one day before the 2-year warranty expired.
In Sweden you by law have a 3 year right to complain (Reklamationsrätt) to the reseller (not Qnap) about a faulty unit. It's technically not the same as a warranty but similar. This only apply to individual consumers though. If you're shopping on behalf of a business, that's regulated in another law that isn't as generous to the customer.

Swedish laws are of course irrelevant in this global forum and it would be painful if this thread would turn into a longwinded comparison of consumer rights in every different market. It was just to give an example of that we shouldn't only focus on the warranty. There are probably similar things in other jurisdictions, so my advice here is only that it is useful to inform yourself about your rights as a consumer on the market you live and buy in.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
wilsodg
Know my way around

Post by wilsodg »

Swedishfishx2 wrote:. It seems that all TVS-872xt units are shipped with the same version of the firmware. Mine is no exception. My old unit had a manufacture date of 2018 and my new unit 2020. I am indeed keeping my fingers crossed that the real cause of all the issues with the TVS-872xt units was found and fixed in 2020...?
:'
Where do you find the manufacturing date?

TS569Pro
Swedishfishx2
Starting out

Post by Swedishfishx2 »

wilsodg wrote:
Swedishfishx2 wrote:. It seems that all TVS-872xt units are shipped with the same version of the firmware. Mine is no exception. My old unit had a manufacture date of 2018 and my new unit 2020. I am indeed keeping my fingers crossed that the real cause of all the issues with the TVS-872xt units was found and fixed in 2020...?
:'
Where do you find the manufacturing date?

Well, I’m only assuming that my old unit (bought in April 2019) was manufactured in 2018 since the serial number starts with Q18 and my new unit (received in April 2021) have a serial number starting with Q20. A qualified guess, to be honest.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
infotecmb
Starting out

Post by infotecmb »

Swedishfishx2, I totally agree with your conclusion.

My serial path Q19 (9K range) -> Q21 (3K range)

Anyone has Q20 QNAP dead already or Q19 is the latest?
kinglouie4556
New here

Post by kinglouie4556 »

I just received a new unit after sending in my unit only 10 days ago.
The Serial of my new unit starts with Q21 with Firmware 4.5.1.1547(20201123) so I'm wondering if it is yet another revision and I'm the first lucky guy here with (hopefully) more reliable hardware?

Return to “Miscellaneous”