TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
P3R
Guru

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by P3R »

Swedishfishx2 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:30 am Now, before I read your message I already logged a ticket with the QNAP-support - probably making me pay for shipping the unit to them anyway.
See what they have to say about the issue. You can demand that they close the ticket at any time and is in no way obliged to send the unit to them just because you created a support ticket.
Seems that we are a few people here with the TVS-872XT and some similar issues hitting us, even if my experience is somewhat intermittent.
On the other hand, your issue could be as trivial as a faulty power-switch and completely different from the others in the thread so lets not jump to conclusions.
Wonder what QNAP says about this...
If you want to have the Qnap view on the subject you need to contact them. They're extremely unlikely to respond here.
...or if they are too big to notice?
They notice. All manufacturers regardless of size keep a close look on their warranty claims and fault frequency as no matter what they do about it, it will cost them money.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
fuuss
Getting the hang of things

Post by fuuss »

I just had the same problem on a TVS-672XT.

I paid 820 USD and waiting for repaire.

My Nas was 2 years and 2 Month so no more Warranty :-(
Swedishfishx2
Starting out

Post by Swedishfishx2 »

P3R wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:07 am
...or if they are too big to notice?
They notice. All manufacturers regardless of size keep a close look on their warranty claims and fault frequency as no matter what they do about it, it will cost them money.
Ok, this is what has happened with my QNAP TVS-872XT since I logged the ticket with QNAP. My 2-year warranty was BTW confirmed to expire on 3 April 2021. I ran multiple tests and could conclude that the unit sometimes did not power-up after pushing the power-on button. Sometimes it powered up after me disconnecting and then connecting the same of a different power cord. In that case the unit would power up without me touching the power button. I tested various configurations with and without disks and m2 SSD cache during a couple of weeks before logging a ticket with the QNAP support on 15 february.

Based on trouble shooting instructions from QNAP-support I ran loads of tests similar to the ones I already had done already. No 100% consistent pattern could be seen. I recorded a few videos with me going through trouble shooting. Yesterday, QNAP came back with the conclusions that it must be a hardware issue and recommended me to send in the unit to the reseller since I still have warranty (until 3 April 2021).

I have now dispatched the unit as a reclamation to the Reseller. I am not holding my breath since they claim they need 5-10 days to start looking at it after they have received the unit. Having a unit with an "intermittent" issue I am indeed worried that they will just make a series of quick tests and not experience the "problem" at that time. Let's see.
Swedishfishx2
Starting out

Post by Swedishfishx2 »

Bob Zelin wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:41 am
Hi -
you are worried ? I have installed more TVS-872XT's than probably anyone here. I have only seen one dead TVS-872XT, and now I see a second one being reported.
Please keep me up to date as to how this is being handled by QNAP. I am a little freaked out by reading this. The TVS-872XT is a "relatively" new product - and I hope this is not an inherent problem with this model. I installed 3 just last week !!!!!!!

Bob Zelin
Just curious, since I have just sent in my "sometimes" dead TVS-872XT to the re-seller yesterday and having seen how many TVS-872XT you have installed (visited you website) - what is your view on this issue?

Everyone in the electronics industry experience flaws at some stage in a product line but it just seems like this came out of nowhere almost at the same time. I have yet to see how it pans out but my faith in a manufacturer is related to how well I can trust them with my work. Anyway, since it's way over four months since you wrote the above, I'm curious.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

I am responding to you on March 6th, 2021. I wrote my original response to you on November 1, 2020. Here we are now a few months later. I have seen four TVS-872XT die (no power) within the last month.
These are all from manufacturing date (or installation date) mid 2019. Yes - this is coming out of nowhere, almost all at the same time. QNAP is covering the warranty on all of these units.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
fuuss
Getting the hang of things

Post by fuuss »

Does anyone of you know how long the repair takes , My qnap is now for about 12 Days at the repair facility but no update yet
infotecmb
Starting out

Post by infotecmb »

+1

The death happened at 2 am. It was responding to PING, but all other services stop working. After that, it can't be powered on and has a red light on the motherboard. Monitoring shows it lost "Available memory" in 4 hours before the death:
qnap1.PNG
qnap2.PNG
That's happened at the age of 2 years + 2 weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maniac0r
New here

Post by maniac0r »

hmm, ability to ping, but no service responding usually means the kernel is still running but cannot do IO to disk(s), or filesystem got corrupted and remounted read-only (but in that case some services might still work). growing memory usage could eventually be made of cummulating processes which never finishes (due to inability to write/read from disk).
@infotecmb , by any chance did you have remote syslog logging enabled on qnap? maybe there could be some traces what was going on for the last 4 hours of NAS "life"?
dblancard
First post

Post by dblancard »

I am, unfortunately, Adding another TVX-872XT to the 'pile' of other dead units. This one failed last week after a full 26 months in service without a problem.

Same symptoms - no boot. red light. no fans. PSU tests fine, MB reset does nothing. If I power on and leave for hours, then quickly unplug/plug in the unit - I sometimes see a 'SYSTEM BOOTING' message for about 300ms then it powers off, and is bricked again.

2 months out of warranty... so sad.

I have the data - and the drives are compatible with other QNAPS I have here - but I would like to salvage this without paying 850 to QNAP for service. If they even will service it (my last call did not go well; It felt like they may not have working MBs available for this unit - but I am speculating).

Has anyone been able to figure out the cause yet ? Any working theories?
Swedishfishx2
Starting out

Post by Swedishfishx2 »

fuuss wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:59 pm Does anyone of you know how long the repair takes , My qnap is now for about 12 Days at the repair facility but no update yet
Well, I started the trouble shooting with the QNAP support in Taiwan 15 Feb 2021 after a couple of weeks with strange behaviour coming from my TVS-872XT. After following loads of instructions, as part of the trouble shooting, with me recording videos etc, they concluded on 3 March that it was indeed a hardware issue and I should contact the reseller and log a RMA with them.

That's what I did and shipped it to them on the same day. The re-seller got the unit on 5 March but did not start the process until 12 March when they officially registered it.

Then on 15 March I learned from an update of the ticket that they "sent my unit to an: External Service Provider and the unit will be returned to you as soon as possible".
The ticket update reads: "Mail sendt: dic_rma_ShippedToServiceCenter".

That's it. Sent it away on 3 March and today on 17 March I really do not know what will happen and how long it will take. It's now over four weeks since the unit started to act up on me. I hope for the best now.
BTW - the warranty expire on 4 April 2021.
infotecmb
Starting out

Post by infotecmb »

maniac0r, no remote syslog was enabled. The last time QNAP renewed DHCP IP at 01:21:29 (I configured lease renew every 37 minutes). At 01:58 it was dead. Remote SSH session had no response (in the case of a read-only filesystem, previously started remote shell should work). All that we learned - the death process took 4 hours.

dblancard, where you got 850 for QNAP service? For my after-warranty RMA, I paid USD 1,040 + shipping. It has been delivered to the QNAP RMA center and I have no ETA when can get the working NAS back. They do not have working MBs available for this unit, but TVS-872XT still be the most powerful QNAP NAS with 10GE, 4K and TB3 and they sell it.

So far, most users got their replacement TVX-872XT by warranty and nobody tried to do actual repair yet. Some cheaper models of QNAP NAS were repaired by enthusiasts by replacing defective voltage regulator (in one case it was MCP6133 and in another TPS563200).
kinglouie4556
New here

Post by kinglouie4556 »

Count another one.
Mine died 2 days ago after only 1 year of use. Same issue only red light on the mobo, no beeps no fans no other leds. Does anyone know if the replacement units have revised hardware which should prevent the same happening again in the future when the unit is out of warranty?
Swedishfishx2
Starting out

Post by Swedishfishx2 »

I'm not sure if anyone is interested in my updates anymore, but I'm writing them here anyway.

As I have posted here before, the story of my TVS-872XT started back in early February 2021. Intermittent issues where the unit (often) refuses to start after being shut down. Troubleshooting with very helpful and nice QNAP support and then on 3 March finally an RMA back to the reseller. Just received word from the reseller and it turns out that based on the information from the service centre - they will send me a new unit! It was not in stock and is now due to surface sometime 30 March - 7 April.

That is good news in all this turmoil. Will I be able to trust a TVS-872XT again? I will for sure check out the manufacture date. As most of us know after reading posts here something appears to happen to a worryingly large percentage of TVS-872XT units after 18-26 months of service.
infotecmb
Starting out

Post by infotecmb »

Swedishfishx2, thank you for the update. Sharing the information about RMA process will help others.
I personally have no idea when I will get my (replacement) QNAP back. No ETA provided.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

infotecmb wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:22 am Swedishfishx2, thank you for the update. Sharing the information about RMA process will help others.
Please be aware that RMA-routines differ across the world.

In Sweden (and probably the rest of Europe) warranty claims are usually handled by the reseller and experiences may be vastly different between different resellers. In the US and possibly other parts of the world RMAs are usually handled by the manufacturer so the times for handling will likely be more consistent.
Last edited by P3R on Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Miscellaneous”