TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
P3R
Guru

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by P3R »

kmozart wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:41 am I even don't know even what operating system mine has.
The only alternative to QTS, which is the default and by far the most commonly used in TVS-872XTs, is QuTS Hero and you or the person initally configuring the system would know if you had switched to that. Just update to the latest available stable version of the OS in use.

Below are the natural alternative models and they are all supported for migrating the disks over. Please note that all the three alternative models lack Thunderbolt out of the box so if you use Thunderbolt you will need to add a card for that. TVS-1X88X would be upgrades in both performance and the number of drive bays. https://www.qnap.com/en/product/compare ... t_overview
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
reedbrandvold
New here

Post by reedbrandvold »

reedbrandvold wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:42 am FYI today I send my TVS-672N back under RMA !! :)
So looks like QNAP is fixing my TVS-672N under warranty! which is awesome. My concern is that even though they repair/replace my board the issue could happen again at anytime in the future.... Anyone know if the main issue with the Motherboard was corrected with different hardware?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

reedbrandvold wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:47 am Anyone know if the main issue with the Motherboard was corrected with different hardware?
One would hope so for at least the latest motherboard revision (2.0 if I'm not wrong) but since Qnap don't communicate on the subject, nobody outside the organization can know until in 2-5 years time.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
kmozart
Starting out

Post by kmozart »

Sending mine with the RMA for fix! Hope is permanent!

I also bought a TVS-1288X as a backup, (probably will be main looking at the specs), but I need to have backup unit. 🤦‍♂️

Maybe not for this tread, but are there any reports on TVS-1288X?

Best!!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Haven't heard anything from 1288x units
reedbrandvold
New here

Post by reedbrandvold »

P3R wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:47 pm
reedbrandvold wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:47 am Anyone know if the main issue with the Motherboard was corrected with different hardware?
One would hope so for at least the latest motherboard revision (2.0 if I'm not wrong) but since Qnap don't communicate on the subject, nobody outside the organization can know until in 2-5 years time.
RMA is completed and in transit back. The RMA report states that "No more MB, replacing." and "Replaced New Product". Thanks QNAP!!!!!! but may still be building a unraid server
Thelosen
Starting out

Post by Thelosen »

I had my QNAP repaired by Krisfix (the one from the Youtube video). It took them a few weeks, but the unit is running again as before. :D :D

The total cost to me was 275 euro including shipping to them.

Communication was fast and the solution seems ok.

I tested the unit at my bench and did some measurements. The chip with the heatsink is running 30 degrees (Centigrade) above ambient under light load. That is a bit to high for me. I think that a lower temperature would be better for a longer life. I will add a fan to the inner of the chasis to maximise airflow. Will post some pictures later.

For now I am happy... :D 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CraigHB
New here

Post by CraigHB »

My TVS-872XT (serial starting Q20) died at the weekend, 4 months outside warranty. Same symptoms as others - mobo or PSU dead, no fans spin up, only a red light on mobo. I raised a case to QNAP and quoted this thread. I've just had my warranty extended and an RMA approved (FYI - I'm based in the UK). On the RMA I was able to see what appears to be some QNAP internal case management system classification (abbreviated in the form I could see): "All the following models shipped before August 1, 2020, TS/TVS-X72XT/N/XU/RP, TVS-X83XU/RP, Once encountering Hang/ Reboot/ Cant Boot issue, Please RMA NAS also needs to submit to notes>IT services>data correction request to extend its warranty from 2 to"

To me this seems to indicate some internal notes advising agents of the issue and approach of extending warranty & RMA - YMMV outside UK I guess.
Synchronicity
First post

Post by Synchronicity »

Add a TVS-672XT to the list. Purchased January 2020, failed yesterday. Red mobo light of death.

At least some at QNAP support are clearly aware of the issue; the first response was "It looks like you have an issue with the motherboard". Now they are checking on warranty status. We're 10 months past the 2 years, so we'll see what they do. This thread has given me hope that they'll take care of it.
reedbrandvold
New here

Post by reedbrandvold »

reedbrandvold wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:42 am FYI today I send my TVS-672N back under RMA !! :)
Got a TVS-672XT back.

I'll be starting my unraid or truenas build soon. hard to trust QNAP will last...
Wolf59
First post

Post by Wolf59 »

Add me to the list: TVS-472XT, bought new in march 2020 (serial no. starting with Q20)

Wanted to power up after I had shut down for two weeks due to a holiday trip ... no reaction at all. Only a red LED on the side of the motherboard is lit. I contacted support ...
Kingfisher99
New here

Post by Kingfisher99 »

I have a TVS 872XT. I have had loads of problems with it but then on mostly on Software not so much Hardware.

I have or had problems with Video Station, Photo Station, still a problem with directories and pictures not shown, Virtual Switch, TVs not in list to Cast to, Linux Station, McAfee Antivirus, extremely slow, too much resources, HBS, too much resources, CPU i5 98%, RAM 80% during backups or sync, Samsung 970 Plus nvme running too hot, throttling, changed heatsink from Amazon with heat pipe, VPN Qbelt not working on Android phone but on iPads, Qfirewall issues, not Shutting down, needed hard shutdown and then fix volume, then must reboot to get things back to before.

I have had nearly 2 years support with dozens of tickets. I am still looking for solution with Photoststation. When pictures in Multimedia folder it's OK, but when backup with Netbak homes, nope, all pictures scanned, nothing to see in Photo Station. It's mind-boggling. Used to work in firmware 4.5, but not in 5.01. Sigh!

Reading this, that my 872XT is still working is maybe that every 6 months I clean it all out, disassemble the fans clean them from all dust junk. This thing eats dust for a living. I told Qnap, hence they made a fanless one, lol. Thus gets hot when full of dust, but when cleaned it is OK. The cooling design is not good for the Processor, heatsink and Motherboard. They should have made filters where the intakes are. These fans are a nightmare to clean, you need to take them apart from the metal and plastic housing and clean with a pastry brush dipped in alcohol and earbuds.

Takes about 1-2 hours to clean (disassembling and assembling) but when clean temperatures are down. Maybe the cause of dying when too hot or CPU up to 98% while backing up with HBS ? Let me know. Also when this happens you cannot log in the NAS, gets stuck on loading.....

One should not have to do that. But it might help. In January 2023 my warranty runs out. Few months left. It is still working but concerned that it will go belly up.

Ok does anyone have any solution for Photostation no pictures showing with Pictures in homes netbak backup directory ?

Gimme a holler,

Thanks

Martin
opensourcefan
Getting the hang of things

Post by opensourcefan »

Kingfisher99 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:11 am Reading this, that my 872XT is still working is maybe that every 6 months I clean it all out, disassemble the fans clean them from all dust junk. This thing eats dust for a living. I told Qnap, hence they made a fanless one, lol. Thus gets hot when full of dust, but when cleaned it is OK. The cooling design is not good for the Processor, heatsink and Motherboard. They should have made filters where the intakes are. These fans are a nightmare to clean, you need to take them apart from the metal and plastic housing and clean with a pastry brush dipped in alcohol and earbuds.

Takes about 1-2 hours to clean (disassembling and assembling) but when clean temperatures are down. Maybe the cause of dying when too hot or CPU up to 98% while backing up with HBS ? Let me know. Also when this happens you cannot log in the NAS, gets stuck on loading.....

One should not have to do that. But it might help. In January 2023 my warranty runs out. Few months left. It is still working but concerned that it will go belly up.
I can say that meticulously taking care of my system did not help to prevent my failure. It still failed "on time" just like everyone else's. This actually is what bugged me the most. All the OCD care that I put into it was in vain.

In actuality, if taking care of it so much ends up prolonging your issue, it may push you beyond any "accepted" warranty period, whatever that is for that particular day and weather.
Qnap TVS-X72xt Motherboard Failures Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Location Update Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Kingfisher99
New here

Post by Kingfisher99 »

Hey Opensourcefan,

I suppose you are true, but still it proves that the design is not correct. I did this every 6 months and was surprised how much dust is in the CPU fans. The fans in the back are OK. It also attracts static dust on the outside over AND on the USB port on the front which could also cause issues. Some computers are fine with lots of dust others don't like it. Talking about 30 years experience with computers and worked for Apple and IBM. They really should rather use passive heatsinks or dust filters that are in good computer cases. Overheating is a big problem for computer components and over clocking and burst modes as well.

The Samsung 970 plus are much hotter it is the firmware that does this than Sabrents for example. Throttling is very annoying with Cache and also size.

I am not too much bothered with cleaning a computer but once a year or with water cooling is a must. Regardless if you are OCD or not. :-))

Did you disassemble the CPU fans ? If you did not, check out now, you will be in for a surprise. If you did not do it for 2 years you will see how full it is with dust.

That's all I can say.
Optimised
New here

Post by Optimised »

kmozart wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:47 pm After reboot for a firmware update, my TVS-872XT won't turn up. Removed HD's, removed M2 sticks, PCIe cards, tried to start, nothing. Only red light on the motherboard. Motherboard V1.3, Ser #Q204I18004

Purchased on Amazon, Jun 2020. Hope is still under (extended) Warranty!

I'm using this unit it in a professional audio recording studio with sessions booked every day, not for fun. Any recommendation how can I get fixed/replaced super_fast? Did not know that this is a problematic unit up until now.

Thank You!
Hi kmozart

I am in a similar situation. I am using a a TVS-672XT in a professional photography environment with sessions booked, not for fun. My NAS has not died yet (touch wood).

How did you find your motherboard version/build No (Motherboard V1.3). Was it printed on the motherboard after disassembly?

Did you have to remove all components to find the printed Build No.

Any chance of a photo or indication of where the Build No is located on the motherboard?

I cannot afford to buy another NAS as a failsafe. I keep backups and extra external drives. Which works OK although still no good to me if the NAS dies as I can’t restore to a dead NAS.

Hope you get yours sorted soon.

Thanks

Return to “Miscellaneous”