TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
qqqkyo
New here

TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by qqqkyo »

Hi guys,

I have a QNAP TVS-872XT which was working fine in past year til 2 days ago, since I got a new APC UPS and plan to use it for the NAS.

I did shutdown the NAS via QTS menu and waited until the unit completely off, after the unit shutdown and waited for 2 minutes unplugged the power cord, plugged it to the UPS, than the NAS not able to power up, it got no response when I press the power button.

Steps I tried for diagnostic:
- I did tried to plug the NAS back to the original power source and got the same result.
- The UPS output is 230V 50Hz 800W and which is working perfectly with my iMac, the iMac was using the same power source with the NAS so the UPS is not the problem.
- Then I tried to unplugged all HDD and open up the case for unplugged the NVME SSD also, tried to connected power and it's not power up.
- I did upgraded the RAM to 32GB DDR4 since day.1 and it was working fine but I put the original 16GB DDR4 back in and it's still not power up.
- Tested the PSU on other PC(connected the 24pins to it's mainboard) and the PC able to power up.
- Tested all pins on the PSU output with multimeter and all pins output the good voltage(included the standby power when the PSU was off).
- Tested the NAS with another PSU(A normal ATX PSU and connected the 24 pins for mainboard only) but the NAS still not power up.
- The NAS mainboard got RED LED lid up when connected PSU and power source.
- Tried to manually power up the PSU when it's connected to the NAS by shorted the pin15 & 16(Green & Black which for mainboard power switch) and the PSU did powered up.
- The mainboard LED changed to Green when manually powered up the PSU, front panel LCD screen shown "SYSTEM BOOTING >>>>>" but actually nothing started.
- The case and CPU fans did move a bit when powered up the PSU then stopped, all LEDs on the front panel(STATUS, LAN, USB & HDDs) were not lid up.
- Tried to press the reset button and SYS_RESET button for 10 seconds(both powered up or not) hadn't changed anything.
- Tried to put all HDDs & SSDs back to it's position and retry, the NAS still not powered up by pressing power button and only shown "SYSTEM BOOTING >>>>>" on the LCD with no other LED lid up on front panel.
- Connected a HDMI monitor to the NAS and forced the PSU powered up by shorted the pin15 & 16(Green & Black which for mainboard power switch) but it got no signal output from the HDMI port.

Personally I did tried everything I could but the NAS doesn't powered up, seems like it doesn't post at all(BIOS failed?), it even got no bip like it normally did even got no RAM installed, anyway it does looks like hardware issue by just a simple shutdown(I don't know why and it's not my first shutdown on this NAS), I did opened a support ticket from QNAP support but no response from them after 2 days so I trying to searching some lights.

Below is some details on my disks configuration:
8 x HGST He10 8TB SATA HDD configured as RAID 6
2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVME SSD configured as RAID 1
2 RAID volume configured as a QNAP Tier volume

Thanks.
P3R
Guru

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by P3R »

That's bad luck! :cry:

I think you've done an excellent troubleshooting, much more than can be expected from an average user :!:

Expect to send the NAS back for a warranty repair.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
qqqkyo
New here

Post by qqqkyo »

Thanks P3R,

Looks like that's the only way to go for me, I am seeking the solution from QNAP support, thanks.

Regards.
KYO
baardog
New here

Post by baardog »

Seems like the exact same problem i got today on my TVS-872XT.
Did support reply, have they sorted you out?
TVS-872XT
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if the nas still has warranty ..contact qnap for repair
jhalttu
New here

Post by jhalttu »

Yeah... I got exactly same here with 1 year old 872XT..
Mine started by multiple reboots first and then nothing.. just "rebooting" on LCD, but other front LED dead and no output to screen..

Did you guys get any info what happenned?
I did make ticket and Hopefully they take tare of it fast..
ozmorphasis
New here

Post by ozmorphasis »

Same thing is happening now to my TVS-872Xt. I shut it down to change power outlets on my UPS. Tried restarting and the screen lit up for a few seconds and then died. It won't power up at all now.

It's under warranty, but the process of sending the entire unit in to QNAP while they sort it out and get it back to me is not a possibility for my current client projects. Yes, the files themselves are backed up, but as a video editor, it's not about the files, it's about the performance. I need NAS level throughput to edit my large projects for my clients....projects that are on deadline! I was expecting disk failure at some point, but not PSU failure within 1.5 years of purchase, and then seeing your posts just further erodes my confidence moving forward.

In another thread, Zelin had suggested that you just mirror your nas with another duplicate identical NAS. I've been avoiding that because of the cost, but it seems like that is the only option. The NAS is dead, and now I can't edit despite having all my files backed up because these are large projects with 4k+ files. Not feeling good about the conversations I'm going to need to have with clients on Monday.

I wonder if I can get the PSU overnighted to me? I see it on the parts site for $130. Yes, I would love to have warranty cover everything, but the much more important thing is to get editing ASAP. The site says:

Shipping Time: It will approximately take 5 business working days plus the delivery time based on the country you live in.
The United States 2~3 days.

7-8 days is really not cutting it.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

ozmorphasis wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:16 am 7-8 days is really not cutting it.
If you were desperate and knew a PC repairman, you could ask them to temporarily install a desktop PC power-supply while you're waiting. It might be necessary to customise one of the the wiring looms though. Any modern, generic PC power-supply capable of at-least 250W will do the job. It’s unlikely to fit inside the NAS, so you may have to run it outside the NAS with the NAS covers off for a while. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ozmorphasis
New here

Post by ozmorphasis »

OneCD wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:33 am
ozmorphasis wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:16 am 7-8 days is really not cutting it.
If you were desperate and knew a PC repairman, you could ask them to temporarily install a desktop PC power-supply while you're waiting. It might be necessary to customise one of the the wiring looms though. Any modern, generic PC power-supply capable of at-least 250W will do the job. It’s unlikely to fit inside the NAS, so you may have to run it outside the NAS with the NAS covers off for a while. ;)
Thanks. Desperation is here, indeed. However, I have a feeling that going down that road will only add more anxiety and stress. By the time I do that, I might just buy another TVX872, have it overnighted, use the power supply from that in the old unit, begin the warranty ticket process in the background, get through these deadlines, and then move through the next steps and end up with two units so this never happens again. You know, what Bob Zelin said to do in the first place.

What a PITA.

Again, having a drive go down eventually is what you expect. Having the PSU die at 1.5 years just seems like really poor QC for machines that are advertised as 24/7 multi-user video editing powerhouses. I know QNAP doesn't make the PSU, but they source it.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Today is October 12th. You need to CALL QNAP, tell them you want an advanced replacement, and give them a credit card to secure the advanced replacement. So they bill you, and refund the money when they get the dead chassis back.

I have to tell you, I believe what you are saying, but I install a LOT of TVS-872XT's, and I have never seen a hardware failure yet on this model (yet !). I have seen lots of dead 10G ports on TS-1685's, and I have seen a dead TS-1683, and a dead TS-1677XU-RP, but never a totally dead TVS-872XT or totally dead TS-1685. But I feel your pain, and I fully understand that you don't want to spend $2100 when you have a perfectly good warranty on your current system. You need to call the California office (if you are in the US) and wait on hold until they pick up. Ask for an advanced replacement. And remember, you must give them a credit card to secure this.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
ozmorphasis
New here

Post by ozmorphasis »

Bob Zelin wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:52 pm Today is October 12th. You need to CALL QNAP, tell them you want an advanced replacement, and give them a credit card to secure the advanced replacement. So they bill you, and refund the money when they get the dead chassis back.

I have to tell you, I believe what you are saying, but I install a LOT of TVS-872XT's, and I have never seen a hardware failure yet on this model (yet !). I have seen lots of dead 10G ports on TS-1685's, and I have seen a dead TS-1683, and a dead TS-1677XU-RP, but never a totally dead TVS-872XT or totally dead TS-1685. But I feel your pain, and I fully understand that you don't want to spend $2100 when you have a perfectly good warranty on your current system. You need to call the California office (if you are in the US) and wait on hold until they pick up. Ask for an advanced replacement. And remember, you must give them a credit card to secure this.
Bob Zelin
Thanks for the suggestion Bob. I was optimistic after reading your post, but I just spoke to them and apparently what you are describing is only offered as a special purchased warranty service. It is not an option with their standard 2 year warranty that comes with the unit. Frustrated to say the least.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

you are correct.
I am wrong.
I just spoke with you. I know your exact situation. You are not some "Plex" user, that is watching TV. You need to be up and running right now.
I am available to assist you when you get your new TVS-872XT. I certainly hope this is not an "on going situation" with QNAP.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
weathernerd
New here

Post by weathernerd »

ozmorphasis wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:16 am Same thing is happening now to my TVS-872Xt. I shut it down to change power outlets on my UPS. Tried restarting and the screen lit up for a few seconds and then died. It won't power up at all now.

It's under warranty, but the process of sending the entire unit in to QNAP while they sort it out and get it back to me is not a possibility for my current client projects. Yes, the files themselves are backed up, but as a video editor, it's not about the files, it's about the performance. I need NAS level throughput to edit my large projects for my clients....projects that are on deadline! I was expecting disk failure at some point, but not PSU failure within 1.5 years of purchase, and then seeing your posts just further erodes my confidence moving forward.

In another thread, Zelin had suggested that you just mirror your nas with another duplicate identical NAS. I've been avoiding that because of the cost, but it seems like that is the only option. The NAS is dead, and now I can't edit despite having all my files backed up because these are large projects with 4k+ files. Not feeling good about the conversations I'm going to need to have with clients on Monday.

I wonder if I can get the PSU overnighted to me? I see it on the parts site for $130. Yes, I would love to have warranty cover everything, but the much more important thing is to get editing ASAP. The site says:

Shipping Time: It will approximately take 5 business working days plus the delivery time based on the country you live in.
The United States 2~3 days.

7-8 days is really not cutting it.
I've just had the exact same issue happen. Went to power back on, the screen came on 1-2 seconds, then went off, and now its DEAD. The red LED on the motherboard is the only light on the unit.

Did you get this resolved? What was the issue?
TVS872XT
rafale
Easy as a breeze

Post by rafale »

I have not seen this yet but you guys are getting me a bit worried.
It does look like a motherboard or power supply issue. Has any of you confirmed the culprit?
By chance I noticed that my backup unit, a 473, uses exactly the same power supply so I have a backup if something like this happens and it is indeed a power supply issue...
Server: TVS-872XT i9 9900 ES, 64GB DDR4 2666MHz, intel X550-T2, Asus RTX3070 Dual OC (On pico PSU), 2x Phison E12 1TB M.2, 4x Micron 5210 7.68TB, 4x WD Purple 4TB
Backup NAS: TS-473 20GB DDR4 2400MHz, Mellanox ConnectX3, 2x Samsung PM871b 256GB M.2, 4x WD Red 8TB
Former units: TVS-1282, TS-871, TS-469
weathernerd
New here

Post by weathernerd »

Well, I've just verified the power supply is ok, all the voltages check out fine. I'm pretty sure its the motherboard is the problem.

What was particularly interesting was that when I disconnected the 24 pin connector that feeds the motherboard, but left the 20 pin connector in, when I jumped pins 15 and 16 to get the PS to cut on, the fans started blowing like normal. When I connect the 24 pin connector to the motherboard, then jump pins 15 and 16, just as the OP had happen, LCD lites up, says booting, fans turn for half a second then stop, never get a beep from the system, and the RED led on the motherboard illuminated, which apparently means its dead.
TVS872XT

Return to “Miscellaneous”