TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Bengaldad
Starting out

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by Bengaldad »

I
Thank you for responding. I do have two separate backups of the data on my original TVS-872XT, and in fact using QNAP’s QuDeDup Extraction tool I now have recreated the file structure of the NAS on a single 20 TB external Lacie USB3.2 HD so regardless of what happens I will not lose the data. I should also add that I had a conversation with QNAP Support on Friday explaining the mistake I had made in leaving the two M.2 SSDs in the TVS-872XT that was on its way to them for repair. The Support person was kind enough to access my RMA and write a note on it explaining that the M.2 SSDs must be left in the TVS-872XT that had been returned for repair or if a replacement NAS was sent to me the M.2 SSDs must be returned with it.
nmorales3142
First post

Post by nmorales3142 »

Can add another TVS-672XT failure to the list. It worked well for 2.5 years.
Now it is completely unresponsive with only a red light on the motherboard.
Qmann
Easy as a breeze

Post by Qmann »

Really makes me wonder when it's gonna be lights out at QNAP on this and they won't address these at all? I am rather surprised they are still fixing. Kudos to them so far.
Model: TVS-872XT 64GB (Crucial 64GB Kit CT2K32G4SFD8266)
2 x 1TB XPG 1TB NVMe (ASX8200PNP-1TT-C) [RAID-1]
5 x 16TB EXOS [RAID-5]
Borg Backup running to an offisite pi, AND to the local TS-569L
Model: TS-569L Borg server for backups
6 x 8TB Ironwolf [RAID-5]
Qotom-Q355G4 Fanless Mini Micro PC running pSense in front of everything
haproxy for anything inside the LAN
amnm
Getting the hang of things

Post by amnm »

Sorry if these questions have been asked before. It is a very long thread.

- Does this problem also affects the 4-Bay model TVS-472XT?
- Does this problem still exists with the latest hardware builds or it was only related to old hardware

Thank you very much
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

amnm wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:38 am Sorry if these questions have been asked before. It is a very long thread.
Thats why you can search within the topics
amnm wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:38 am - Does this problem also affects the 4-Bay model TVS-472XT?
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=153097&p=835605&hi ... XT#p835605
amnm wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:38 am - Does this problem still exists with the latest hardware builds or it was only related to old hardware
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=153097&p=829303&hi ... on#p829303
amnm
Getting the hang of things

Post by amnm »

Thank you dolbyman.
It is sad that there is no confirmation yet that this problem has been resolved.
925john
New here

Post by 925john »

You can add my TVS-672n to your list. Bought it in June of 2020 and it died three weeks ago. Wouldn't boot after attempting a restart. Same symptoms: red light and Ethernet port blinks. Serial number starts with Q20. Afraid I don't have the motherboard version. I politely asked QNap support for a repair or replacement at no cost due to this being a well documented motherboard problem. They had me do a few simple tests then issued an RMA. They sent a new TVS-672xt to replace my TVS-672n less than a week after receiving my NAS.
zo6cjs
First post

Post by zo6cjs »

my tvs-872xt has died also after normal shutdown. opened a support ticket with qnap im out of warranty by 4 months and so far they will not cover the repair. has anyone had luck getting the repaired covered out of warranty?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

yes, all over this thread, point support to this thread
iliyan78
First post

Post by iliyan78 »

Hello, i bought TVS-672XT with red light problem the idea is to repair it. So, in local service replaced the chipset, but the problem is persist. But when i start to test the device i found something. The device is start if i remove the battery from motherboard and plug the power cable, it start whit the battery if i give short on jumper CON6 it located close to buzzer. The device restrt 2 times then boot and start and work normaly. If i pres and hold the power bottn for shut down it just shuted down and then imidiatly start something like restart. If i send command from web interface for shutdown it just restart, not power off. I try it whit another RAM, whit another PSU, all HDD are out the situatin is same.
Version of the bios is Q012AT13, serial number start whit Q20****
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

We found in this thread that repairs do not last (fails again after BGA chip replacement)

Now that you have fiddled with it (or paid somebody to do it) chances are low that you will get an exchange unit .. time to look for a new NAS I guess
sguser888
New here

Post by sguser888 »

Add another one to the list...

My TVS-872XT died this morning with the same problem. MB revision is 1.3

Out of warranty but hoping Qnap will repair it out of goodwill since this is my 5th and most expensive NAS from them but yet died so prematurely. All my previous 4 Qnap NAS lasted more than 5 years without any issues

Hopefully Qnap will do whatever necessary to retain me as their loyal customer and not force me to switch over to their competitor
cameralabs
New here

Post by cameralabs »

Found this thread after my TVS-472XT appeared to do the same thing yesterday.

Built in 2019 and working fine until now, with regular QTS updates and firmware / BIOS updates.

Yesterday I logged into it and it said there was a firmware / BIOS update available, so as always, I chose the option to shutdown, restart and install it, but when restarting, it refused to post, displaying "BIOS: Q012AT11 Checking Memory" - this message wouldn't go away. I tried powering off and on again, but then it would just briefly start, before switching itself off a split second later. After doing this a couple of times, it now won't even power up at all. I have tried removing the drives and it still won't power up, so I don't think it's a drive issue.

Does this sound like a motherboard issue? It must be related to the firmware / bios update. Is there a solution, or is my unit stuffed?

Short term, I'm obviously hoping to retrieve the data from my four-disk RAID 5 array. Is it possible to migrate the array to a compatible NAS, like the TS-464? I'm reluctant to go for a replacement TVS-472XT since so many of them seem to have this issue, and following either an Apple or QNAP update a year or so ago, I've not been able to reliably use the TB connection. So I'm just after a reliable NAS replacement with one user and minimal activity, other than providing a large storage pool and automated cloud backups.

Longer term, I'm now wary of both QNAP and updating the firmware, since this seems to have been what caused the issue.

What's everyone else doing?

Thanks for your help and support,

Gordon
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

disk migration and the need for backups have been mentioned many times

have you tried a topic or forum search?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

cameralabs wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:20 pm Does this sound like a motherboard issue?
Yes
It must be related to the firmware / bios update.
No it isn't. The defective motherboard finally failed and the thing that tipped it over the edge was the reboot, not the firmware upgrade.
Short term, I'm obviously hoping to retrieve the data from my four-disk RAID 5 array. Is it possible to migrate the array to a compatible NAS, like the TS-464?
Check here for compatible models (yes TS-464 is one of them).
What's everyone else doing?
This thread is literally full of what people have done in your situation. Reading before posting is a good idea.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Miscellaneous”