The school bell!

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
simonz21
Getting the hang of things

The school bell!

Post by simonz21 »

I know it's going to sound nuts, but I want to get my TS453Be to ring a bell at certain times of the day. I'm in Italy, and we are on lock-down, and the kids are being homeschooled. They want a bell to ring just like it does at school, so they know when to start and stop studying. I managed to do it on my PC, and they love it, but it's not a reliable system (sometimes I leave my headphones plugged in accidentally). I'm a fair basic-level NAS user, so I need a fair bit of help.

I have loaded a school bell wav file on the QNaP and managed to play it through the QNAP speaker - perfect. I just need a way to schedule this so it rings 6 times a day, Monday-Friday. Can someone please help me with some simple code I can add to the CRON file that will play a sound file through the QNAP speaker at certain time, repeated mon-fri? I think I can work out how to edit the cron file by reading on the forum, but I can't find anyone dumb enough to have already tried what I'm doing now.

An alternative route would be to send a command from my PC to the QNAP via Task Scheduler, but again, I need to know what to send and how...

Thanks!

Simon
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: The school bell!

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
simonz21

Post by simonz21 »

Thanks Moogle, but that wasn't quite what I was after. However. Music STation has an alarm with lots of slots, and I've managed to get that working fine...just testing now! Works brilliantly!
asharay
First post

Post by asharay »

simonz21 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:42 pm Thanks Moogle, but that wasn't quite what I was after. However. Music STation has an alarm with lots of slots, and I've managed to get that working fine...just testing now! Works brilliantly!
Hi,
Can you please share how you can enable the alarm in music station? I have been trying to create morning alarm for myself to wake up with music but unable to do so yet. There is an app but it doesn't work reliably.
simonz21

Post by simonz21 »

Sure, in Muiscstation 5 there is a little alarm clock icon top-right. clock on it and you can set any number of alarms that will play any music you like. hope this helps.

Return to “Miscellaneous”