Why is Google trying to log into my NAS as Admin?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
gsloman
Getting the hang of things

Why is Google trying to log into my NAS as Admin?

Post by gsloman »

In the early hours of this morning and just prior to midday two different IP addresses have been trying to log into my NAS as Admin. The two IP addresses are owned by Google. Fortunately, my NAS has blocked them and I have now blocked the IP addresses forever. But, these were two different addresses and Google must own thousands if not millions of them. Has anyone else experienced this behaviour?
P3R
Guru

Re: Why is Google trying to log into my NAS as Admin?

Post by P3R »

Someone have bought a server from Google and is using that to try admin logins or that VM have been compromised and is taken over by someone using it for this activity.

Stop exposing your NAS on the internet to make that and many other threats to your data instantly disappear.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
gsloman
Getting the hang of things

Post by gsloman »

Thanks P3r- but the only exposure to the internet my NAS has is via myqnapcloud - would that be the problem?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

gsloman wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:54 pm Thanks P3r- but the only exposure to the internet my NAS has is via myqnapcloud - would that be the problem?
Well if that is the only exposure, then it's clear that it's the way someone is trying to break into your NAS.

With internet exposure you automatically get those break-in attempts.

For those that absolutely need NAS internet access I can only recommend a remote access VPN solution, preferably with the router/firewall as the local endpoint. That will be a relatively secure remote access solution.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Miscellaneous”