About ready to set TS-251 on fire

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
BisKit
First post

About ready to set TS-251 on fire

Post by BisKit »

I bought 2 QNAP devices used. One is the TS-251 and the other is TS-121.
They will run for about 20 hours then become unresponsive. I can use Qfinder to shut them down or reboot however I can't login or see the shares I have set up. Are these things crap now and I need to go back to using computers?
I'm assuming the data is gone. Is there a test or something I can do to test them?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: About ready to set TS-251 on fire

Post by dolbyman »

seems strange that both behave that way, are both updated to their respective latest firmware version ?
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: About ready to set TS-251 on fire

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

unresponsive? both of them same time? that's odd.

few things i can think of

1. network connectivity issues. router? cables?
2. credential issues. you did not enter proper login so you can't access?
3. hard drive dead or dying? highly unlikely since you say both are having the same issue at the same time.
4. malware? cryptomining? or something that is maxing out cpu on the NAS making it become unresponsive? usually it's because your nas got compromised due to things like port forwarding, upnp, enabling myqnapcloud, not updating QTS for a long time.
5. perhaps browser has issues. try clear cache. When you say unresponsive do you mean when login into qts via browser, or when trying to access via windows 10 smb, or what? be specific.
6. raid scrubbing active. it slows down the nas, but it is still accessible however, so i doubt this is the issue? also when raid scrub is active, this is already expected behaviour, which is why most people schedule this when they aren't expecting to be using the NAS (once a month)

I hope you have backups?

all i can think of is perhaps check that your router is configured properly. DO NOT ENABLE UPNP. DO NOT PORT FORWARD. Make sure you update your router firmware regulary.

After that reinitialize your QNAP (try doing 1 first to see if that fixes it, before doing the same on the other nas).

maybe you don't have to go that far.
however I can't login or see the shares I have set up.
I'm assuming you meant

1. you can't login to QTS using browser
2. you cannot connect to windows 10 smb to access your shares, correct?

and you are doing this from windows 10 pc yes? :' you need to be specific, otherwise i have to make likely assumptions..... :?

it worked for 20 hours, but next day you could no longer access? how exactly did you configure your NAS? did you change much from defaults? also did you save your NAS credentials in windows 10? are you using some anti virus that might be blocking your NAS from being accessed? (e.g. bitdefender)

usually you would use qfinder to check if your NAS is detected on the network or not.

make sure you create a ticket and get support to assist you. it's good you asked here, but also ask help from support which is the official channel to seek help.
https://service.qnap.com
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Miscellaneous”