251+ won't boot - flashing status LED in orange

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
mjonis
Getting the hang of things

251+ won't boot - flashing status LED in orange

Post by mjonis »

TS-251+ QNAP with 2 drives in it. Not the latest firmware (one prior to the latest).

Not sure what happened, it was working yesterday and last night I couldn't connect to it, so I checked it this morning.
Both HDD LED are solid red
USB is solid blue
The green power LED flashes once when you power it on, then goes off.
The status LED is flashing orange, and it seems to be a pattern of sorts, but I cant' quite make it out. It's not solid, it'll blink like maybe 3 times, 4th time is a longer pause, etc.

FAN is running. I hear the HDD spin up

I've tried removing both HDD and same issue.

What other troubleshooting steps can I take?

AND, if it's toast (unit was ordered/purchased on 2/17/17), if I buy a new one of the same model and upgrade the firmware, can I just toss the drives in it from the old unit and be OK? I vaguely recall that the actual config isn't really on the drives themselves (meaning the IP settings, etc.)?

AND
If it's toast, can I get the 451+ model and slap the drives in as well (as long as the data is intact, I think I can live with reconfiguration, we'll see).
NAS - TS451+ Firmware: 4.4.2.1270 RAID-1: Seagate ST4000VX007 x2
dolbyman
Guru

Re: 251+ won't boot - flashing status LED in orange

Post by dolbyman »

there is a website for migration questions

https://www.qnap.com/en/nas-migration/

also always have external.backups of your data
mjonis

Post by mjonis »

Hmm, took everything apart (figured I'd see if the RAM needed re-seating). I'm not sure if this white blob is supposed to be there?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mjonis

Post by mjonis »

dolbyman wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:15 pm there is a website for migration questions

https://www.qnap.com/en/nas-migration/

also always have external.backups of your data
Yes, all the data (well as best as possible) is backed up via Elephant Drive.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the white blob is keeping the DOM in place
mjonis

Post by mjonis »

OK, thanks. Well then nothing is apparent, so who knows. I believe there's only a 1 year warranty, and the unit's 3 years old. Crap. Well guess time to spend another $300-400 on one and wait 2 weeks for it to arrive. I would've thought they would last longer, but oh well.

I guess I'll scrounge around for how to properly backup the "config" for future reference. If memory serves, the config (IP, etc.) are not on the drives per se (so even if I get another 251+ and throw the drives in, I'll still have to use the qfinder thingy to reconfigure it).
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

on a new nas, update the firmware on the nas (no drives inserted). Then insert your old drives and it should boot up the same as the old one

what does the hdmi out say on the old NAS when booting ? .. did you try a firmware recovery to flash the dom ?
mjonis

Post by mjonis »

First, thanks for your help!!!

Second: When I connect HDMI and boot up, I get "no hdmi signal" on the monitor

So I'm guessing it's toast?

I've not yet tried a firmware recovery.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

HDMI should show something at least, but try the firmware recovery nonetheless
mjonis

Post by mjonis »

Nothing on the HDMI at all. No beep at all the NAS. The power/status LED will flash green once when powering on and that's it. The flashing amber I thought was the status, was the LAN LED (looking at the front panel with better lighting now).

I guess I can try the firmware recovery and see what happens. Nothing to lose at this point.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

could also be a busted power supply (not enough current)
mjonis

Post by mjonis »

OK, thanks. I've got a multimeter, I guess I'll have to figure out how to probulate it (LOL).
I don't think I have a spare 12v 5.4A spare laying around. The one I have for my laptop is like 19V 6.32A output
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

yeah, don't put a 19V PS on a 12V input
mjonis

Post by mjonis »

OK new NAS arrived today.

I booted up new NAS with default stuff (original 2 GB module, no drives), hooked up to HDMI. I see stuff.
Qfinder, updated firmware.

OK, power down.

Tried RAM modules from "old" NAS (Kingston KVR16LS11/4). Neither one is good (NAS won't boot up). OK, so we know bad memory on old NAS.
New NAS is a TS-451+ BTW (was only one in stock and for the extra $100 over the TS-251+ I'll at least have more drive slots).

So I had the original 2GB module from TS-251+ so might as well temporarily run 451+ with (2) 2 GB modules while I wait 2 weeks for new memory to arrive (grrr). Anyway, boots up OK.

Now onto the drives.

both are Seagate Skyhawk ST4000VX007. One died just a month or two ago (well was getting SMART errors). Well that one is totally dead. Won't spin up at all.

So now the quandry:

1) Seagate apparently doesn't have any of those in stock, even though it's under warranty so I'd have to accept an "equivalent" (whatever that is). Not so keen about different drive models in RAID-1 even from same vendor.
2) Do I do that, and then just boot up the new NAS with ONE drive? I'm assuming it'll still work, although in degraded state since RAID-1 is missing a drive?
3) I suppose I can order another one (ugh, money flowing out the door now), still send the old one back and then boot up with the ONE working drive, let it do its thing, add in the new/blank one (same model #), rebuild RAID and then when Seagate ships the "equivalent", what do a RAID-1 + hot spare, or just do RAID-5?

Ideas/options?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Buy another drive (ST has NAS drives, actually meant for NAS, they are called Ironwolf, use one of those to rebuild your RAID) when the warranty swap comes in, either keep it for future swaps or build a RAID5

Return to “Miscellaneous”