VPN Client virtual switch set up

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
shamz84
Starting out

VPN Client virtual switch set up

Post by shamz84 »

[wiki][/wiki]Hey guys....I recently bought my self a new QNap and looking to configure it.

What I'd like to do is run a VPN client on the QNap and route certain traffic through that.

So When setting up the VPN client...it's doesn't seem i can use it for only one network adapter...it's had to be used via the default gateway...I'm guessing that means all my traffic with go through this?

Is that correct or am I missing something?

Also I was looking at the virtual switch...so what I wanted to do is

Have the VPN attached the network adapter 2. Then my chosen container will go there the VPN...bit couldn't figure out how that is achievable

Thanks for your help.
RichJacot
Starting out

Re: VPN Client virtual switch set up

Post by RichJacot »

I'd be interested in this also. Subscribed.
TVS-672N - 32GB - 4.5.1.1594 - Static volume - RAID5 - 6 x 10TB Ironwolf --- Thick Volume RAID1 - 2 x 500GB M.2 SSD - CT500P1SSD8 in a QM2-2P10G1TA
TS-453B - 16GB - 4.5.1.1540 - Static volume - RAID5 - 4 x 4TB WD Red
sszben
New here

Post by sszben »

I would be interested too!
I would like to use adapter2 to share the VPN connection with other devices via cable.
sebastianmx2
New here

Post by sebastianmx2 »

Me too. Too bad Qnap documentation is horrible. I literally can never figure out how to setup stuff like this because their software is not intuitive at all and their documentation only covers simple setup.
Pereto
Starting out

Post by Pereto »

+1
Msallal
First post

Post by Msallal »

I was trying on this since a week. anyone got luck setting this up.
johnnyz
New here

Post by johnnyz »

What you need to do is run the VPN client inside of your container or VM, not on the NAS. Your VM or container will have a network interface assigned from the virtual switch you chose. Then you create a VPN connection using the virtual adapter inside of the VM or container. Only the VM or container will use the VPN connection in this case. The rest of the NAS will be unaware that a VPN connection exists.

Return to “Miscellaneous”