Unable to reach NAS via local IP address but able to reach it via public IP address

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
m.bagattini
New here

Unable to reach NAS via local IP address but able to reach it via public IP address

Post by m.bagattini »

So I'm in this strange situation.

My NAS (TS-251B) is connected to my LAN, replies to ping at 192.168.1.8. It is seen by Qfinder. I have the dynamic DNS in place and my router redirects correctly to the NAS local IP. So, if i connect to https://nasname.myqnapcloud.com I can reach it and configure it. I can also reach it to https://<current public IP> but, as expected, I get the mismatching certificate alert in my browser.
What I can't understand is why I can't reach it via https://192.168.1.8 or https://nasname; if I have no internet, I can't connect to the NAS. Qfinder lists the NAS but can't access its configuration too. Windows can't find its shares if I try browse via Explorer and NAS isn't listed under Network.

I'm pretty sure this is a recent problem, I was previously able to do all of that. As a safety measure, I wanted to close my outside access so that's when I discovered this issue.

I'm not able to track back to something I did that broke the configuration; I've recently reset my router but I'm pretty sure the only setting I had on it was the port forwarding. What I did that may be related was the installation of the container station and addition of a docker image for pi-hole. I'm not really a networking expert so I don't know, maybe now who's responding to my connection request to the NAS admin page isn't the NAS anymore but some other service? It's the only thing that came to my mind. I see some configs under virtual switch but I don't want to touch there since I don't really know what I'm doing.

Any suggestion would be really welcomed!
oyvindo
Experience counts

Re: Unable to reach NAS via local IP address but able to reach it via public IP address

Post by oyvindo »

Why do you use HTTPS to log on to your NAS inside your LAN? If you LAN is behind a NAT router, there is no need to use HTTPS, unless you have som very specific requirements. And if you do, you have to create (or buy) certificates and have them registered as root certificates in all your clients. Did you really activate SSL/TSL on your NAS for local access? If so, unless everything is configured and set up correctly, both on the NAS and on the client, you will at best get error messages when you try to logo on, or at worst not be able to log on locally at all. And I trust you did not open your WAN-router/firewall port 443 and redirected it directly to your NAS servers for external access? If you did, that's asking for trouble.
ImageImageImage
Radasaurus
Starting out

Re: Unable to reach NAS via local IP address but able to reach it via public IP address

Post by Radasaurus »

I believe your problem may be your host file. I'm a super rookie novice with this stuff but I couldn't access my NAS properly on my Lan until I followed the instructions (I'll attach below) to edit the hosts file and then all worked perfectly. Note that this was necessary because I was using a domain registered computer from my company to access my NAS on a non-domain network (ie. my home). I agree with Oyvindo (not that I'm on his level, of course...) but if you are behind the dmz and on your local network, you don't need to screw with SSL.

I was here to find out if the SSL I purchased on MyQnapCloud.com to access my NAS remotely and securely was necessary. My Nas is getting literally hundreds of attacks an hour but they are all being blocked by the QuFirewall which works great but scares the hell out of me that I'm getting that many attacks. Before I installed that Firewall app on the NAS, i was getting lots of warnings from the NAS itself, but it was only blocking for 5 min. The QuFirewall blocks the scumbags permanently but still seems weird that I'm getting so many attacks..

------------------
The Hosts file in Windows 10/8/7, is used to map hostnames to IP addresses. This Hosts file is located deep down in the Windows folder. It is a plain text file, and the size of the original default Hosts file is around 824 bytes.

Hosts File in Windows 10
In this post, we will see its location and also how to manage, lock, or edit the Hosts file.

Host file location
The Hosts file in Windows is located at the following location:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Lock Hosts file to prevent hijacking
Imagine clicking on www.thewindowsclub.com and seeing a completely different website load in your browser. Malware can redirect Web addresses on your computer by altering your Hosts file. This is referred to as the Host File Hijack.
To prevent Host file hijacks, you may navigate to it, right-click on it, select Properties and make it a Read-only file. This will lock down your Hosts file and prevent anyone or any malware from writing to it.
Block website using the Hosts file
To block a website using the Hosts File, simply add the following entry:
127.0.0.1 blocksite.com
Although I do not do it, many users like to manually add entries to it in order to block the opening of one or more particular websites. Others, like to download and use List from well-known sources like mvps.org, to add entries which block malware sites from opening.

Edit Hosts file
If you need to edit the Hosts file, navigate to the following folder location:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\
Here you will see the Hosts file. Right-click on it and select Notepad. Make the changes and Save.
But sometimes, even when you are logged on with administrative credentials, you may receive the following error message:
Access to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ hosts was denied
Or
Cannot create the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct.
In this case, type Notepad in Start search and right-click on the Notepad result. Select Run as administrator. Open the Hosts file, make the necessary changes, and then click Save.
Edit as follows:
# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
10.0.0.195 NASRAD1
gambacherkalbenstein
Starting out

Post by gambacherkalbenstein »

oyvindo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:25 am Why do you use HTTPS to log on to your NAS inside your LAN? If you LAN is behind a NAT router, there is no need to use HTTPS, unless you have som very specific requirements. And if you do, you have to create (or buy) certificates and have them registered as root certificates in all your clients. Did you really activate SSL/TSL on your NAS for local access? If so, unless everything is configured and set up correctly, both on the NAS and on the client, you will at best get error messages when you try to logo on, or at worst not be able to log on locally at all. And I trust you did not open your WAN-router/firewall port 443 and redirected it directly to your NAS servers for external access? If you did, that's asking for trouble.
This makes sense, but I am too stupid to do so... Sorry
gambacherkalbenstein
Starting out

Post by gambacherkalbenstein »

Radasaurus wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:23 pm I believe your problem may be your host file. I'm a super rookie novice with this stuff but I couldn't access my NAS properly on my Lan until I followed the instructions (I'll attach below) to edit the hosts file and then all worked perfectly. Note that this was necessary because I was using a domain registered computer from my company to access my NAS on a non-domain network (ie. my home). I agree with Oyvindo (not that I'm on his level, of course...) but if you are behind the dmz and on your local network, you don't need to screw with SSL.

I was here to find out if the SSL I purchased on MyQnapCloud.com to access my NAS remotely and securely was necessary. My Nas is getting literally hundreds of attacks an hour but they are all being blocked by the QuFirewall which works great but scares the ** out of me that I'm getting that many attacks. Before I installed that Firewall app on the NAS, i was getting lots of warnings from the NAS itself, but it was only blocking for 5 min. The QuFirewall blocks the scumbags permanently but still seems weird that I'm getting so many attacks..

------------------
The Hosts file in Windows 10/8/7, is used to map hostnames to IP addresses. This Hosts file is located deep down in the Windows folder. It is a plain text file, and the size of the original default Hosts file is around 824 bytes.

Hosts File in Windows 10
In this post, we will see its location and also how to manage, lock, or edit the Hosts file.

Host file location
The Hosts file in Windows is located at the following location:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Lock Hosts file to prevent hijacking
Imagine clicking on www.thewindowsclub.com and seeing a completely different website load in your browser. Malware can redirect Web addresses on your computer by altering your Hosts file. This is referred to as the Host File Hijack.
To prevent Host file hijacks, you may navigate to it, right-click on it, select Properties and make it a Read-only file. This will lock down your Hosts file and prevent anyone or any malware from writing to it.
Block website using the Hosts file
To block a website using the Hosts File, simply add the following entry:
127.0.0.1 blocksite.com
Although I do not do it, many users like to manually add entries to it in order to block the opening of one or more particular websites. Others, like to download and use List from well-known sources like mvps.org, to add entries which block malware sites from opening.

Edit Hosts file
If you need to edit the Hosts file, navigate to the following folder location:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\
Here you will see the Hosts file. Right-click on it and select Notepad. Make the changes and Save.
But sometimes, even when you are logged on with administrative credentials, you may receive the following error message:
Access to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ hosts was denied
Or
Cannot create the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct.
In this case, type Notepad in Start search and right-click on the Notepad result. Select Run as administrator. Open the Hosts file, make the necessary changes, and then click Save.
Edit as follows:
# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
10.0.0.195 NASRAD1
Thanks so much! I actually had a look into my hosts file and was just tofu-signs. So I copied my other hosts file from my other PC, where the connection actually works fine. No result.

And on my other machine it even works vis SSL with the default SSL-certificate... Strange!
PIRATA!
Know my way around

Post by PIRATA! »

Try to put the port after the ip. It is necessary with last version of firmware, and default port is 442: https://192.168.1.8:442
QNAP TS-251+ with 2x Seagate IronWolf 4Tb (ST4000VN008)
vvbit
New here

Post by vvbit »

I had the same problem, I saw QNAP device in my Windows 10 but couldn't see any share in it. The error messages from Win10: "Windows cannot access \\NASname" on name or "Element not found" on IP address \\192.168...
Here is a simple fix which helped me:
- Edit your network credentials for that internal IP address with Credential Manager.
- Search in Win10 Cortana for "Manage Windows Credentials"
- Select "Credential Manager" from the search results
- Launch the "Credential Manager"
- Click "Windows Credentials"
- Click on item with IP address of your NAS and click on Edit and enter the current credentials for the NAS account
After that I could see all the shares in my NAS device

This video may be helpful, it shows a similar procedure for removing credentials
https://youtu.be/NELbSv2lw3s
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

PIRATA! wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:04 am Try to put the port after the ip. It is necessary with last version of firmware, and default port is 442: https://192.168.1.8:442
just seen, this is a typo! Since when is port 442 default for https? It is 443.

Regards
vvbit
New here

Post by vvbit »

vvbit wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:03 pm I had the same problem, I saw QNAP device in my Windows 10 but couldn't see any share in it. The error messages from Win10: "Windows cannot access \\NASname" on name or "Element not found" on IP address \\192.168...
Here is a simple fix which helped me:
- Edit your network credentials for that internal IP address with Credential Manager.
- Search in Win10 Cortana for "Manage Windows Credentials"
- Select "Credential Manager" from the search results
- Launch the "Credential Manager"
- Click "Windows Credentials"
- Click on item with IP address of your NAS and click on Edit and enter the current credentials for the NAS account
After that I could see all the shares in my NAS device

This video may be helpful, it shows a similar procedure for removing credentials
https://youtu.be/NELbSv2lw3s
Just fixed it again on my another Win10 machine where I logged with email Microsoft account. I didn't see NAS name or IP address in the credentials list on that machine.
So if you don't see NAS name or IP address in the list just click on "Add a Windows credential" and add an entry for one or both with working NAS account - it worked fine for me
sonybansi
Starting out

Post by sonybansi »

My TVS-671 is also can't reach http://192.168.1.xxxx:8080/. I have always use local ip address with port 8080, i think problem start after update firmware "5.0.0.1986". Now i have to use myqnapcloud to use my NAS.
QNAP TVS-671, CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790S CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 cores, 8 threads) 16GB RAM and 3x3TB of WD Red disks(64MB 5400RPM) RAID5 , Current firmware version:5.0.0.1986
Router: AsusRT-AC66U Firmware Version:9.0.0.4.382_52503
Macbook Pro: Intel Core i5 2,3 GHz 16GB, macOS Sierra 10.13.6
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

sonybansi wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:42 am My TVS-671 is also can't reach http://192.168.1.xxxx:8080/. I have always use local ip address with port 8080, i think problem start after update firmware "5.0.0.1986". Now i have to use myqnapcloud to use my NAS.
Then you have a local problem in your network.
BTW: you know that myqnapcloud is a fantastic attack vector for hackers to encrypt your NAS with ransomware? If you are really using this staff get prepared (external backups) to loose all your at NAS!
See i.e. the threads about ransomware in "users corner"!

Regards
Kunzite
Know my way around

Post by Kunzite »

The QuFirewall app used to block my PC's IP - if you're using it, it's worth checking.

Return to “Miscellaneous”