QVPN - OpenVPN "Not a regular file"

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
monellrt
Know my way around

QVPN - OpenVPN "Not a regular file"

Post by monellrt »

Hello Users.... I am posting this because I am in the process of attempting to use OpenVPN within QVPN. The VPN product I am using is NordVPN. Whenever I attempt to add a OpenVPN client connection the system asks for a file which the NordVPN website has provided. It doesn't matter if it is the UDP or the TCP file because they both fail with the same message "Not a regular file". I have been looking for a solution to this error from many different sites but so far I have not found a solution. I am using a TS-451 QNAP NAS with 16 GB (16 GB usable) of memory and Firmware version 4.4.3.1439 Build 20200925. Has anyone else out there experienced this issue and been able to correct it?

Thank you for looking into this post,
Bob
spile
Been there, done that

Re: QVPN - OpenVPN "Not a regular file"

Post by spile »

Why not access your NAS via the Openvpn client app? Why do you need NordVPN which is for hiding your IP address?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

where does it say the vpn is for accessing the nas ?(wouldn't work with NordVPN) ..... probably is for downloading torrents
alagave
Starting out

Post by alagave »

Same problem adding OVPN file from IPVanish. Hopefully someone will look at the problem and not focus on why a user wants to use a VPN or which service they use.

I have one OpenVPN client connection open and active but cannot add another connection (as backup in my case). It seems there are no recent changes in the change log of QVPN app. My old 419P+ accepted the file as did my 653a. That is curious. It must be related to something particular to one of my NAS boxes.....

AHA! I stupidly believed an article that said ViprVPN was no longer needed and would no longer be available in the app store. Oh, silly me - both of the QNAP devices that still have that app work fine. The NAS that I removed it from does not work.

My guess is that some component of ViprVPN was used to parse the OVPN files for the QVPN app. Now I need to find an app that has been removed from the app store.

Can anyone provide a copy?

If my theory is right, how did this get through testing for an official QNAP app? I hope my theory is wrong and someone can help us out.

Greg
Al Agave
TS-419P+ [4*2GB], TS-653a [8*8GB], TVS-873e [8*8GB + RXP-1000 [8*8GB]
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Hey Greg. :)
alagave wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:29 am My guess is that some component of ViprVPN was used to parse the OVPN files for the QVPN app. Now I need to find an app that has been removed from the app store.
VyprVPN is still available on the App Center website, but only for older QTS versions (4.3.4 and-earlier).
If you're using a later QTS, it might still be possible to download and install it manually - you'd need to try it and see.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
alagave
Starting out

Post by alagave »

Thanks OneCD!!

Manually installed then restarted QVPN. Poof. Problem solved.

I can now only assume that there are not that many users that connect as an OpenVPN client (not likely) or QNAP just completely failed to test this extremely common scenario. Perhaps the change is so recent that folks were already working and not many have tried to add new connections.

Thanks again for your gracious assistance.
Greg
Al Agave
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

No worries Greg. :)

Maybe you can let QNAP know about this problem by creating a help-desk ticket?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
alagave
Starting out

Post by alagave »

Sure. It is on my list for tomorrow.
Al Agave
Christiaan5
Starting out

Post by Christiaan5 »

alagave wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:22 am I can now only assume that there are not that many users that connect as an OpenVPN client (not likely) or QNAP just completely failed to test this extremely common scenario. Perhaps the change is so recent that folks were already working and not many have tried to add new connections.
I created a OpenVPN client connection to vyprvpn.com and that seem to work just fine.
Maybe they only tested with VyprVPN?
Since VyprVPN was the supported VPN supplier for QNAP was for me the reason to switch VPN supplier.
macs4all
First post

Post by macs4all »

I could successfully create a client (OpenVPN based) for NordVPN by using Chrome instead of Firefox for the whole process (NAS access/client creation).
Hope this helps.
LordLinhey
New here

Post by LordLinhey »

FIXED
I have had this issue and I know how to solve it.
Ridiculously, I bet you are using GOOGLE Browser to access your NAS web and that is the issue.
Google Browser seems to prevent you from installing your downloaded profile file into the settings for QVPN.
If you try to do the same thing with Microsoft Edge, you will see that it works, I now use the Microsoft Edge Canary version, which uses chrome.
alagave
Starting out

Post by alagave »

macs4all & LordLinhey,

I just saw your post. You are correct that I use Chrome and had the same issue with FireFox. Since I have since found a solution, I cannot easily recreate the circumstances to test your theory. It is entirely likely based on my browser war history.

Of course it fails to explain why Chrome allowed me to perform the update on two of the three systems - the only two that still had VyperVPN installed AND when I installed VyperVPN on the third, Chrome worked just fine. OS versions were the same.

I tried to report this to QNAP but the fiasco of them killing all third-party apps kept the support team busy. Maybe I can get thru now.

Thanks
Al Agave
hoejbjerre
Starting out

Post by hoejbjerre »

Let us not ignore the horrible performance of the QVPN solution

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=150743&p=769298&hi ... nt#p769298
NAS: TS-670 Ultimate ++ QTS 4.3.6.1831
CPU: Core i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz, RAM: KINGSTON 16GB 1600 MHz 2 x 8 GB (Dual Channel)
CACHE: 1* Samsung 960 NVMe SSD 500Gb @ QM2-2P10G1T PCIe
STORAGE: 4*WD RED 6TB WD6002FFWX Raid 5, 2*1TB Samsung SSD 850 EVO, Raid 0
MildMethod
New here

Post by MildMethod »

Easiest way to work around this error I found is go to the app store. "Stop" QVPN Service 2. Once stopped, start it again.
Error message should not occur and you can add the file. Enter your credentials and it should then connect without an issue.

Also check my post (below link) to ensure you turn on "Use VPN as NAS Default Gateway" if you are planning to use VPN to mask your IP.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=118104&p=774526#p774526
facehu
First post

Post by facehu »

Thanks. using edge did fix the issue.
LordLinhey wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:27 pm FIXED
I have had this issue and I know how to solve it.
Ridiculously, I bet you are using GOOGLE Browser to access your NAS web and that is the issue.
Google Browser seems to prevent you from installing your downloaded profile file into the settings for QVPN.
If you try to do the same thing with Microsoft Edge, you will see that it works, I now use the Microsoft Edge Canary version, which uses chrome.

Return to “Miscellaneous”