QSW-M408 HW Reset Button

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
JP1MF
First post

QSW-M408 HW Reset Button

Post by JP1MF »

First time poster. Hope this post proves useful for the community.

Summary of HW reset button usage before I tell my story. All actions described are with switch already powered on and running.
  • Reboot: push and release (not tested, presumed)
  • Password Reset: push and hold for 5 seconds
  • Factory Reset: push and hold for 10 seconds

Unfortunately in my case I had a useless switch for 3 or 4 days because I could not find this information ANYWHERE online. I raised a support ticket, and Tim from QNAP Support got back to me within ~24 hours with the information I needed. I successfully performed the HW factory reset procedure and was back in business.

After getting access to the switch again, I actually noticed the information I've documented here on the use of the HW reset button is shown on the web admin interface on the System Settings | Backup & Restore tab. Honestly it is completely useless to document how to do these things (which require access to the switch admin pages) when the reason you need this info is because you don't have access to the switch admin pages.

QNAP Support: if you're reading this please do two things.
  • Setup a forum category for your excellent switches
  • Add the information about the HW reset button in the print/PDF documentation
Overflight
New here

Re: QSW-M408 HW Reset Button

Post by Overflight »

Thank you for posting this. Why would a switch come from a factory in need of reset and no instructions to reset it. PLUS the MAC address to be entered is without dashes. Not as presented. Okay up and running.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

that button is not for restarting the device..and this page here exists for years (and got updated with the non default password behavior)

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... -explained
Flying_Dutchman
New here

Post by Flying_Dutchman »

dolbyman wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:36 pm that button is not for restarting the device..and this page here exists for years (and got updated with the non default password behavior)

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... -explained
Well, you refer to resetting a NAS while this tread is about resetting a switch.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Most "IT" devices do not have a "reset switch" to perform a "soft reboot" they always have some sort of config clearing purpose
Flying_Dutchman
New here

Post by Flying_Dutchman »

I came here because my QSW-M408-4C is booting all the time. I see the green system LED blinking forever. Reset is not working at all. The switch keeps booting (that is what a blinking LED is telling me).
As the device is only 5 months old I will send the unit in for repair under warranty.
ubronan
First post

Post by ubronan »

Pfff it took me alot of time to finally find how to actually get into the freaking Switch
The reason no clear instructions nor any help at all found until i came onto this forum and found some important information.

Like the login into the switch is a enormous pain todo, the most silly is that all the tips did not work until i decided to force a reset.
Now that also turned out to be also a pain in the behind.

I actually found the whole thing needs a longer period of holding the pin pushing onto the reset.
Now for me the whole design of the hardware suddenly made at me over protected without any need.
First why the hell you need to reset to get into the whole darn thing.

Why the hell do you make a reset button hidden like that and not simply a small button on the back while it function is absolute safe against stupid mistakes, why do you say well it only reset the password after you keep it pushed after 5 seconds and a real reset takes 10 seconds longers.
So a silly mistake of pushing that button does nothing at all ....

Again why oh why you need to reset it to access the whole darn thing without ever being used before ??????
Now it looks like the thing has been used, because i could not get in at all .... after finally found that that reset takes 5 seconds before works

Why is it not mentioned in the very small setup guide, the rest of the user guide does actually contain absolute nothing usefull.
Unless your a n00b who should not touch this kinda hardware in the first place, this hardware is kinda for advanced users anyway.
You need to know what your doing with all the advanced settings for sure.

I admit most probably never gets used by most users of this device, but it could have been done much nicer and more relaxed.
Why is there absolute nothing to be found about the port with the key above it, on the site or in the 1 page user guide.
Am i missing something or what ?

Now that i finally found my way in the device i found it kinda simple and actually does hardly need any changes but lol i would have liked to see that you can actually set jumbo frames in the seperate forms used by many cards. Some cards work partially others do 9000 plus ... i thought we had a standard there but i learned some nic do not work well with other brands ( probably on purpose "brand protection probably") as some nic need it to set at 4096 before they worked a bit faster.
Anyway this should have been in the almost not existing guide.
LoL this has made me decide not togo for Qnap in the future for network devices

Return to “Miscellaneous”