Bugs in QSW-M1208-8C switch

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
dunderware
New here

Bugs in QSW-M1208-8C switch

Post by dunderware »

I bought one of these two weeks ago and I would like to report the following bugs.

All are with firmware 1.0.0.16817 (20200910)

DHCP does not work. Selecting the DHCP option just fails to get an IP address from my AT&T Pace Gateway. I am required to set an IP address manually.

Now that I entered a proper IP address and I connect to it the auto ("live") firmware update does not work. It says it cannot contact the internet. Even though the network it is on connects to the internet and the machine I am using to access it connects to the internet. The upstream port for internet access is port 1, a 10Gig LR fiber optic SFP+ transceiver. It has no trouble switching packets to that net, but it cannot see the internet over it when trying to update firmware with the "live" function.

I looked for new firmware on the net and the newest firmware at the time was older than the firmware that came on the device. I see a newer firmware now and I will try to install it after I post this.

I cannot make the admin port on the back work. It will link up at 1G or 100mbit (I didn't check) and lights flash but there is no way to contact the device. It certainly is not answering on the same IP address it answers to no the front ports. Also the QNAP Finder app does not find the device when connected via the admin port. Is it possible that there is some special fixed IP address it responds to on the admin port?

Because I had to set the DHCP address manually that means if I move this to another network there is a good chance it will have an invalid IP address. Because of this every managed device has a reset function. Surely this one does. I see a tiny hole next to the ports on the back. That's probably a reset button. But the documentation says nothing about it. This should be documented somewhere. Do I hold it for 10 seconds or something? 30?

You print "forum.qnap.com" on the box for the device but there is no forum to discuss networking equipment at this URL. I ask that you please make a "networking/switches" section of this forum for these devices.

I like this device. I liked the previous non-managed ones too (I still own two). Although those have a bug where the twisted pair ports go silent. I would love to be able to get those fixed, but with no support forum what am I to do? Please increase your support level for these devices. Please make a sub-forum for them.

I like these devices due to the mix of ports (I use some twisted pair, some fiber in my network) and due to the quietness of them. And of course I like the price. If they only had fewer bugs I really feel like you could sell a lot of these.
dunderware
New here

Re: Bugs in QSW-M1208-8C switch

Post by dunderware »

After installing the new firmware and connecting it has the wrong date in the upper right. It says 2037/11/20.

Asking it to synchronize with pool.ntp.org (by clicking the little recycle button by the field) failed to fix the date. "Unable to synchronize with NTP server. Check the NTP server IP address or the network connection." I have DNS set up correctly, I copied the info from a machine on the same network and verified it from that other machine as working. Changing the server to sync to to an IP address which should work (one for pool.ntp.org) does not fix it.

Live firmware update still fails in the same way as before.

All that was with static IP. Now I tried DHCP again.

DHCP does now work. After switching to DHCP Live firmware update does now see the internet and tells me I am up to date. With DHCP ntp sync is still not working.

I will now try using the admin port and see how that goes.
dunderware
New here

Post by dunderware »

I tried the admin port. It links up at 1Gig. But nothing works. I cannot contact it at the same IP address on the front. It does not show in QFinder Pro either. So the back port seems useless still.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

dunderware wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:22 am I bought one of these two weeks ago and I would like to report the following bugs.
thx for letting the other users know.

but also remember to post a support ticket so qnap knows to fix it
https://service.qnap.com
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
hhuang
First post

Post by hhuang »

dunderware wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:22 am I like this device. I liked the previous non-managed ones too (I still own two). Although those have a bug where the twisted pair ports go silent. I would love to be able to get those fixed, but with no support forum what am I to do? Please increase your support level for these devices. Please make a sub-forum for them.
I've noticed my QSW-M1208-8C twisted pair go silent too, did you ever get a solution from QNAP Support, I've submitted the problem, and they've yet to resolve this issue.
Thanks!
disenter
Getting the hang of things

Post by disenter »

I just got one of these switches a couple of weeks ago as well.
I can't say I've encountered any issues like you have, but then I set this up with a direct link from my laptop without anything else connected, set the ip manually etc, and then just plugged it into my network.
I use a sfp+ direct attach lead from this to my router, and everything else just ethernet.

The only funky thing it's done so far, was that it seems like it couldn't negotiate the speed of the ports leading directly to my 2x Qnap NAS. Quite bizarre i thought that it should fail that with not one, but two of it's own brand devices.
I watched the ports on the switch just keep coming up, and going down, coming up and going down. I tried a few different ethernet leads and no change. I was temporarily unable to access either of my NAS'. A TVS-872XT and a TVS-663.
Both of these NAS also have 10G ports going through this switch, and they haven't had any such issue. I just used the port configuration page on the switch, and set it manually to 1Gbps and they're working normally now.
I have just right now updated the firmware and tried putting it back to automatic and it seems to be OK. But those ports are only capable of 1Gbps anyway so I just leave it set on 1Gbps.

Other than that, so far its been fine. Can't say i've had any other issues.

Return to “Miscellaneous”