Cannot connect / see folders on brand new TS-451+

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
sentiv
First post

Cannot connect / see folders on brand new TS-451+

Post by sentiv »

I am trying to set up a NAS as a single backup repository for multiple computers and external drives.

I am new at NAS and networking (only used external USB drives before), and so far my experience is super frustrating. I did not want to be that newbie asking stupid questions, so I have spent 8+ hours looking at online posts, tried many solutions (including the obvious: enabled file service, enabling SMB 1-3, rebooting everything). Nothing has changed since before I tweaked anything. I asked a friend who recommended this solution and has been using a QNAP NAS for years, he spent an hour on it and could not figure it out either.

This is my setup:
TS-451+ | 4.5.2.1594 | 4 disks | single volume | 10.59TB | RAID 5 | Encrypted disk volume
Qfinder Pro | 7.4.5.0120
Windows 10 Home | latest updates
I think I set "Obtain an IP address automatically (DHCP)" during setup (not static IP address), in case that's helpful.

What is working:
- Can access everything via the web UI.
- Can unlock the volume.
- Can install apps.
- Can create users and shared folders.
- Via FileStation5, I can upload files from my computer to the NAS and open sample files that were installed there.
- Can see the NAS in Windows File Explorer under Network (it shows up as both a Computer and a Media Device).
- Can ping the NAS.

What's NOT working:
- In Qfinder Pro: Storage Plug and Connect > successful login > Map the Network Drive: none of my shared folders visible in FileStation5 are listed in the Folder box/list! This seems a major symptom that goes beyond browsing via File Explorer (see below). I created a new folder from there, after an eternity I get to the "Map a network drive" dialog box with my new folder name selected and Z as the default drive letter, I click OK and after another eternity I'm back to the same dialog. When I cancel, then quit, the new folder does show up in the list in FileStation5 and seems functional.
- In Windows File Explorer: Cannot expand the NAS. After a varying number of seconds I get the dreaded "Windows cannot access <the share>... Error code: 0x80070035. The network path was not found."
- In Acronis TrueImage 2021: I can select the NAS as a destination, but after I enter my username and password (tried both admin and a different user) it comes back as "connection failed".

Please please help! I don't know what else to do, short of buying an external USB enclosure and reformatting the drives. But it would be a shame to dump the NAS approach and hardware. I feel so close to having it working... I'm hoping it is something obvious that I cannot see because I'm new at this.

I can provide more diagnostic info if I know what would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
scdctiger
New here

Re: Cannot connect / see folders on brand new TS-451+

Post by scdctiger »

I am having the same problem. New TS-253D. I have turned on all the suggested settings under Network & File services> Win/Mac/NF > Microsoft Networ > Advanced Options > Check enabled WS-Discovery. I can ping the drive from win10 terminal. All other features are working. I can even FTP into it from my computer. But I cannot access it by modifying explorer //myserver and when I click network drives in qfinder pro, it confirms the IP and protocol, then when I click okay nothing happens.
kitchenbed
First post

Re: Cannot connect / see folders on brand new TS-451+

Post by kitchenbed »

Hello,

I have a brand new TS-231P3, firmware 4.5.4.1723 and all latest updates installed.

With the device out-of-the-box, there was no problem accessing shared folder from Windows file explorer. Trouble started after firmware update.
Unfortunately, I didn't write down the firmware version that was delivered with the device.
There is nothing in the release notes of the firmware that clearly points to anything relevant to the issue at hand.
Also, common known issues related to that firmware version do not include it.

I'm experiencing the exact same behavior as sentiv, except for mapping network drives from QfinderPro, where my situation is the exact same as scdctiger's.
Impossible to connect to the nas through Windows file explorer, neither using \\myserver nor using it's IP address. Web access is fine.

Already tried - without success - all proposed solutions in the following posts:
viewtopic.php?t=153972
- enabled SMBv3 on nas - no change
- reset credentials in Windows control panel - no change
- run net use \\[NASNAME] /u:[NASNAME]\admin in command prompt - returns System error 59 (unexpected network error) - no improvement
viewtopic.php?t=158843
- checked and re-checked credentials - no change
- enabled SMBv1 client in Windows (although it is not recommended and I'd really prefer to keep it off) - no change
viewtopic.php?t=159648&p=780328
- checked IP black list on nas - black list is disabled, no improvement

Any other clever idea?
Thanks in advance!

Return to “Miscellaneous”