TVS-872XT - 10G Random Performance

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
grobbarg
Starting out

TVS-872XT - 10G Random Performance

Post by grobbarg »

Hi all,

Recently acquired a TVS-872XT (see here for my initial issues: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=160925 )
I thought it best to start new thread as this solely 10G network related.
I've given up on getting the TB3 connection working correctly, and going the 10G network route as I've already got most of the gear:
So, connecting my Windows 10 NUC workstation (now with Sonnet solo 10G SFP adapter) to the TVS-872XT, via Mikrotik 10G Switch I seem to get random 10G performance, one day with excellent transfer speeds seemingly over 1GB/s, the next day down to between 70-400MB/s (Testing both with file transfers and Aja system test and between NVME drives on both devices). When I reboot the NAS, the performance comes back up again, for a day. Rebooting the Win10 workstation does nothing. I'm therefore thinking I've missed something with the NAS or network settings.

I've set all Network switches, PC's, IP cameras and NAS etc to fixed IP addresses, (except the Unifi AP) and all below the DHCP range, also set everything where possible to 9000 MTU.
The NAS is still as standard, apart from addition of Quadro K220 card, and moving TB3 card to lower slot, and also addition of 1TB WD Black NVME drive for VM's, this will be increased along with memory when I've figured out the 10G issues.

I have a network consisting of switches etc collected over the years, and as I'm not too good at explaining stuff, I've attached a 'map' for info. perhaps I've overlooked something and there's a conflict?

Would be grateful for any thoughts as to why this might be happening...

Edit:
After seeing some posts about direct connect PC to NAS (without rebooting NAS) - tried that with the 10GBE connection on the NAS to the Sonnet solo on the Workstation with 10GBE/SFP+ adapter, I immediately saw fast transfer rates of around 800MB/s to NAS, but around 200 MB/s to Workstation, then the NAS seemed to 'lose' connection, then transfer rates went down to the 70 MB/s to 250 MB/s both ways. Re-instating the connections to the NAS / Workstation and Switch saw the 1GB/s speeds return :S
Might try Intel X520 SFP+ NIC in the NAS next, as I'm running out of ideas, and obviously out of my depth here..!

System Info.:

TVS-872XT:
16 GB RAM as standard
F/W: 4.5.3.1652
6 x WD Red 4TB HDD (Slots 1-6) RAID6
2 x Crucial 1TB SATA SSD (Slots 7-8) for VM's
1 x WD Black NVME SSD for VM's (currently testing)
1 x TB3 Card (moved to lower slot)
Quadro K220 GPU (in upper slot)

NUC Workstation:
Intel NUC -9VXQNB
Xeon E-2286M
64GB Memory
RTX 2060 GPU
2 x TB3 ports (1 with Sonnet Solo SFP+ adapter)

Network:
10G Switch: Mikrotik CRS 317-1G-16S 10G SFP+ switch (1 slot has SFP-10G-T adapter to get 10GBE to the TVS-872XT 10GBE port).
1G Switch: TP-Link T1700G 28TQ (with 1G SFP uplink to CRS 317-1G-16S).
Router: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP v2.0.9-hotfix.1 (IP's below xxx.xxx.x.100 reserved for fixed IP's)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grobbarg
Starting out

Re: TVS-872XT - 10G Random Performance

Post by grobbarg »

Hi all,

As a follow up to last post:

After several days of what I would expect to be 'normal' 10G performance (between NAS with inbuilt 10GbE connected to Sonnet Solo, and without changing any settings/harware), around 1GB/s to NAS and 900 MB/s to workstation, the network speeds dropped to around 250MB/s both ways. I pulled the Ethernet connection from the NAS for a minute then re-connected - performance then went back to previous speeds as above :S

Just for interest, I pulled the TB3 card from lower slot and tried the following spare NIC cards (all with similar results - around 900MB/s speeds to NAS and 250 MB/s to workstation:

QNAP: QXG-10G1T (would expect better results from this one).
Intel: X520 SR2 (NAS only recognised 1 port, perhaps due to card partially 'sticking out' rear of PCIE slot?).
Startech: PEX10000SFP (Tehuti chip, so perhaps cr@p anyway?).

I also tried previously re-setting the NAS networking without pulling the network cable, but that didn't work, only rebooting and/or disconnecting cable seems to work.
So... for now it's back to the inbuilt 10GbE port, and pull the plug when required (not entirely professional!), and replace TB3 card with spare QM2-2P card for additional NVME VM storage...

Was hoping some expert out there could tell me I've done something stupid, or perhaps it's an issue with the NAS itself?
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

please plug in your Sonnet Solo 10G T3 directly to the native 10G port of the TVS-872XT (this is the top port - ethernet port 1 on the TVS-872XT). No switch.
What speeds are you getting. Is the Solo 10G T3 running super hot ?

Bob
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
grobbarg
Starting out

Post by grobbarg »

Thanks for your reply Bob,

For your test I've connected Workstation direct to NAS as follows:
Workstation & Sonnet Solo with SFP+/10GbE adapter >> CAT6 Cable >> NAS 10GbE port, no other connections.
I try running some file transfers and AJA tests however, for some reason seem to intermittently lose connection between NAS and workstation, and when connected can only get ~250MB/s transfer speeds. They both have fixed IP's in the 192.168.1.x / 255.255.255.0 range, should any DNS settings be changed?
Sonnet Solo temperature is around 38 DegC (using IR Thermometer pointing at the top fins).

Resuming normal connection:
Workstation & Sonnet Solo with standard SFP+ connector >> Fibre Cable >> Mikrotik 10G Switch SFP+ port. Then Mikrotik 10G Switch SFP+/10GbE adapter >> CAT6 Cable >> NAS 10GbE port.
Running similar transfers and tests as above, the system is 'stable' again (until the next drop in performance sometime)...
Sonnet Solo temperature is around 34 DegC in this configuration.

As a bonus test, I connected the Workstation to NAS directly from 1GbE port on workstation to the 10GbE port on NAS with CAT6, it connected reliably and got the 110MB/s transfer you'd expect.

One thing I hadn't thought about before - the SFP+ to 10GbE Transceiver/adapter, could they go 'faulty'? It's a Dimiks SFP-10G-T, it does get hot and perhaps more so when in the Sonnet Solo, maybe not compatible with Sonnet Solo?

Return to “Miscellaneous”