DNS can’t resolve hosts?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
tj253p
New here

Re: DNS can’t resolve hosts?

Post by tj253p »

My relatively new TS-253D, which replaced my dead 253-pro started popping the same error. While chasing down logging problems with pi-hole, I found that my nas was not able to update apps or firmware, and the "...system has detected...DNS server cannot resolve..." message was displaying. Furthermore, the nas loses connection with my LAN, i.e., even Qfinder cannot locate it. I have to manually shut down and restart, and ultimately do a 3-sec reset to be able to "see it", under another subnet that I don't use. THIS IS INFURIATING!! I would like to flush, edit all previous connections, but I have no idea how to access the os filesystem as it is buried. My experience with linux-based machines are limited, but I do manage my pi-hole server (raspberry pi).
Can anyone provide steps to 1) access the os filesystem, 2)edit the files needed to try to get DNS working, even temporarily? I have tried google and quad9 directly in DNS server fields on the NICs...nothing works.

Just tried reconnecting: can ping the nas IP, but get "This site can’t be reached192.168.2.10 took too long to respond" error. I have turned off firewall.
Windows diagnostics doesn't find anything (I use port 10443 for https):
"The remote computer isn’t responding to connections on port 10443, possibly due to firewall or security policy settings, or because it might be temporarily unavailable. Windows couldn’t find any problems with the firewall on your computer. "

What does it mean that I can ping, but Qfinder or browser cannot see it? Why is web server not responding???

Thanks.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

For diagnostic purposes, I'd suggest going back to defaults, such as the default port and see how that goes.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
tj253p
New here

Post by tj253p »

I managed to login to the TS-253D, reconfigured port trunking, disabled https under "IP Access Protection", reverted to 4.5.4.2117, and enabled SSH for admins.
I can ping the nas, but the nas cannot ping anything on the LAN. And, of course, there is no internet access, no "Current WAN IP", and I've tried public DNS as well as my routers. Nothing works.
So the problem is not with QTS 5.X. What system config files contain settings for DNS, domain names, hosts, etc. that I could try editing to be able to access LAN?
Actually, now that I can access the CLI, what I run to help diagnose the problem?
Thanks.
johndoehead
New here

Post by johndoehead »

same problem after updating defiantly its a firmware issue was working 100% before the update shut everything down except the web server it works if i use my static ip in the gateway i can view the webpage on my network will not work outside my network .... i solved another issue of the blocked ip list that you cannot remove .what i did was a factory restore before i did that i downloaded firmware from qnap also downloaded apps reason being all drives will be formatted then manually installed the firmware now i am back in action with the list completely gone. there are probably better ways to achieve this but this worked out fine for me
outlying
First post

Post by outlying »

This issue has been bothering me for months, I hoped that maybe someone will find a solution at some point but I'm done with waiting. I usually use NAS for data storing and I'm running some containers there, which are working even after the restart - I don't remember what I did to make them work.

Some facts:

* I own TS-431 P2
* Currently firmware version is 5.0.1.x (something - not important, none of 5.0.x fixed that issue)
* Use a virtual switch
* Containers are working, while normal apps and pings are not - but like I said I remember I changed something to make them work

The road

I do think that problem started on 4.x version of the system, and I kinda think I was trying to setup Pi Hole on my network and that failed - but it was so long time ago I'm not 100% sure, not that important

I tried almost all suggested solutions in this thread, so:
* disabling IP6
* switching ports
* any IP static/DHCP configuration
* running this one script from support to delete some files
* upgrading firmware

I didn't try:
* fixing /etc/config/nm.conf

And about the last one, I didn't try it only because I came up with the other solution before I reached that one, so it could be a totally good solution, give it a shot

My /etc/resolv.conf looked like this

Code: Select all

nameserver 127.0.1.1
The solution

The only thing that make things work was changing 'nameserver' in '/etc/resolv.conf' but the problem with that is this file is re-written on NAS restart, usually my NAS is running for months without the issue but then, you know, you have to restart and you are reminded of that bloody problem you ignored previously.

Because I know that there is a magic file called 'autorun.sh' I thought it might be a good idea to use it to fix a problem with restarts. For those of you who don't know that it is - it's a bash file executed at NAS startup, and you can do the usual stuff here - so execute any script you want/need

How to access/use/edit it (you need SSH access), each hardware is different so I'm not posting "a universal solution" here, you have to figure it out for your own NAS

Running Your Own Application at Startup

Now that you know how to access it you add this one magic line to your 'autorun.sh'

Code: Select all

echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" > /etc/resolv.conf
Done, what it does is it rewrites your file with 'nameserver 8.8.8.8' You can put any other DNS server that works for you or even another one.

NOW, this is hardly a problem solved, I still do think that there is some sort of configuration issue that should be fixed by QNAP and this is barely a workaround

Return to “Miscellaneous”