DNS can’t resolve hosts?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
xoemmdee
New here

DNS can’t resolve hosts?

Post by xoemmdee »

Hello everyone!

First time posting here, but I hope someone may be able to offer some guidance.

Here’s my setup:

I have a Rogers ignite wifi modem, which is currently in bridge mode. It’s connected to our Google Wifi nest router, which is connected via hardwire using a plug and play Ethernet switch to my QNAP NAS TS 251+ and desktop computer running windows 10. Everything was working fine and dandy until we got the new modem a couple weeks back.

At first, the Ethernet connection was not working at all with the NAS. Could not even find it. With some chatting to QNAP support we were able to change the ports and IP address, which allowed it to connect again. It was then working fine until it asked me to go through a software update. I did, and didn’t get any errors during the update (I watched it while I performed the update). But as soon as the NAS rebooted after updating, all of sudden I got this message stating the DNS server cannot resolve hosts and some apps might not work properly. According to QNAP, they saw in my logs that this also happened the day we connected the new modem but I’m not sure as I never noticed it then if I’m honest. I think at that time I was more focused on trying to get it connected properly and accessing the user interface again, lol!

With a combination of guidance from tech support at Rogers, Google, and QNAP I’ve tried everything from rebooting and resetting our entire network to changing the DNS server to several varieties including Google’s server and my ISP’s server on both my router and the QNAP itself. I even attempted to give the QNAP a DHCP IP reservation and port reservation on my router. Nothing has worked to resolve the issue, so if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it! Also of note is that I can successfully ping Google’s DNS using the command prompt line “ping 8.8.8.8” on my computer and it works fine.

Thank you very much!
xoemmdee
New here

Re: DNS can’t resolve hosts?

Post by xoemmdee »

Hello, as a quick follow up I tried a couple things to isolate the issue. It seems that things I had read before were right. There is something in the new firmware update that’s causing this issue. I can tell because I downgraded to the previous firmware prior to the latest, and surprise - the DNS worked fine!

I hope QNAP will fix this in the next update!
tuffa
First post

Post by tuffa »

I experienced the same problem with the 2021-04-28 firmware. Reverting back to the previous release resolves the problem.
Dieterv
First post

Post by Dieterv »

A revert back to the 4.5.2.1630 version (instead of 4.5.3.1652) also did the trick for me, to fix DNS.
swr85
Starting out

Post by swr85 »

you can disable IPV6, w/o revert back to previous revision of firmware
xoemmdee
New here

Post by xoemmdee »

Good to know I’m not alone in this, thanks everyone! And also thanks for the tip of disabling IPv6 to stay on the current firmware, as that is not something I’ve tried. I also submitted a support ticket to QNAP to make them aware of the issue so they can hopefully fix it with the next update.

Much appreciated!
Zygote
New here

Post by Zygote »

FWIW, I've been investigating this and my best guess is that the DNS service is failing on startup, probably a dependency isn't loading in time, as I can work-around the problem after rebooting by changing one of the DNS servers and saving, then changing it back. (in my case I change it to OpenDNS, then back to my local DNS server). This process must be restarting the DNS Client service.

The only way I can avoid DNS failing on reboot is to configure the interface to get its address via DHCP with a reservation on my DHCP server. My guess is that all the required services have started by the time it renews the IP address so doesn't fail. It fails every reboot if I use a static address.
SSKarn
New here

Post by SSKarn »

swr85 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:44 pm you can disable IPV6, w/o revert back to previous revision of firmware
I literally have the same setup (Rogers Ignite in Bridge Mode to a Nest Wifi Router) and this reply saved me. Thanks swr85!
jkingma
Getting the hang of things

Post by jkingma »

Same error here on 4.5.3.1652 TS-453mini. on the CLI there is no problem in resolving hostnames. Is there a specific host QOS is trying to resolve? (IPv6 is disabled)
QNAP TS-453mini
Firmware: up to date
jsandhol
New here

Post by jsandhol »

Same here, irritating as hell... Works for a day or two, then fails on its own.
linearkinetics
Starting out

Post by linearkinetics »

Did this get resolved? I encountered the same issue after I updated to QTS 5.0... Tried disabling IPv6 per one of the replies but that did not resolve the issue for me.
NAS: TS-453D FW: 4.5.3.x
HDD: 4 x 4TB RAID 5 (Seagate IronWolf ST4000VN008)
M.2 NVMe: WD Blue SN550 1TB + Samsung 970EVO Plus 500GB
RAM: ADATA 4GB 1866Mhz (stock from QNAP)
Expansion Card: QM2-244A
Big2hd
New here

Post by Big2hd »

linearkinetics wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:21 am Did this get resolved? I encountered the same issue after I updated to QTS 5.0... Tried disabling IPv6 per one of the replies but that did not resolve the issue for me.
Same issue, updated to 5.0 last night, and everything went crazy (My SSD cache broke, Plex, Rtorrent or Medusa wouldn't open, reinstalled now that they open but they have no connection.) and now constantly I get the DNS cant resolve warning so I'm guessing that's my internet Applications problem
vodor
First post

Post by vodor »

Same issue here on QTS 5.0. Cant update it via "Network & Virtual Switch". In the meantime I manually edit /etc/resolv.conf and add my DNS server then things work again.
phatmatt
New here

Post by phatmatt »

Thanks - I had this same issue and vodor's suggestion of manually editing the resolv.conf worked for me
gipasoft
Starting out

Post by gipasoft »

Same issue, this is the content of my resolve.conf:

Code: Select all

nameserver 127.0.1.1
How I must update it? Thanks!

Return to “Miscellaneous”