TS-230 usable memory

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
grouillier
Starting out

TS-230 usable memory

Post by grouillier »

New QNAP user. Got a TS-230 only to do file backups from local, LAN-attached computers. I'm turning off as many features as possible so memory and CPU can be dedicated to the file backup task.

I notice under System Status that Total Memory is reported as 2 GB. Yet if I got to the Resource Monitor, it shows me Total Usable Memory is 1.50 GB. If I SSH into the box and cat /proc/meminfo, it reports MemTotal as 1578028 kB. I notice on the QNAP spec page is says that some memory is reserved for shared graphics memory. I'd be shocked, though, if they reserved 25% of total memory for this shared graphics memory.

Are there any other TS-230 owners here? Do your systems report the same thing?

Thanks.
TS-230, TS-253A, both with latest stable QTS
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-230 usable memory

Post by dolbyman »

There was a discussion about ARM type memory hogging for GPU stuff a couple of months ago ...not sure of that was ever successfully addressed..think it was @OneCD?

at the end of the day..dont worry about it ...1GbE file serving will not be inhibited by that
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Yes, the RAM allocation is normal for this model NAS. I've asked QNAP to provide an option to release the 512MB of reserved RAM back to QTS (for those of us who don't use the NAS for transcoding), but there's no way to know if-or-when they'll do this.

Ticket number for this request is: Q-202101-09612

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
grouillier
Starting out

Post by grouillier »

Thank you both for the replies. OneCD, apparently I can't see your ticket to add my support for it. I already have a ticket of my own Q-202104-18143 asking to free up memory for my limited use case. I just added a note in that ticket referencing this discussion and asking the QNAP support person to add my vote to your ticket.
TS-230, TS-253A, both with latest stable QTS

Return to “Miscellaneous”