Container station 127.0.1.1:53: i/o timeout

RulerOfHeck
New here

Container station 127.0.1.1:53: i/o timeout

Post by RulerOfHeck »

Hello.

Today, I found that "Container station" could no longer pull images from docker. There were no real signs of problem; when I hit "pull", it started a background task. However, I noticed that no new image appeared. In the "more" list button, I could "download diagnostics log" and within I found:

Code: Select all

time="202X-XX-XXTXX:XX:XX.XXXXXXXX XX:XX" level=warning msg="Error getting v2 registry: Get https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/: dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on 127.0.1.1:53: read udp 127.0.0.1:48259->127.0.1.1:53: i/o timeout"
The address "127.0.1.1" was new to me. Searching the internetz, I found several threads with people having problems with Dockers and timeout to the 127.0.1.1 address. Apparently, systemd (part of most Linux distributions) use that address for the DNS cache. Anyway, there were several suggestions about manually editing resolv.conf and similar solutions.

That might have worked: log in to the QNAP using SSH and manually override the DNS. However, messing with the system files of an appliance is not something I like to do on a "production" system; who knows what will happen, it might cause a future firmware upgrade to fail? I would like to use the QNAP GUI and the official, supported, tools to remediate this type of problem. Knowing what the 127.0.1.1 address is, I suspected the internal DNS resolver, its configuration must have been corrupted somehow. A few weeks ago, I had a problem with a firmware upgrade that required a soft reset (push reset 3 seconds to return network configs to default). After that, I had to reconfigure the network; perhaps that reset caused issues, or I somehow configured it incorrectly?

I checked the network configuration (Network & Virtual Switch): the address for "Primary DNS server" looked right, but I wanted to set it again, to force the dns resolver configuration files to be rewritten. I looked around and realized that, once Container Station is installed, it's not possible to change DNS server on the adapter anymore. I have to change the setting on a "Virtual Switch". So, I hit "Configure" on the virtual switch, the only thing I changed was secondary DNS. It was set to "0.0.0.0". I have only one DNS (my router) so I just removed it. After hitting "Apply" and waiting a bit, the QNAP still worked. The "secondary dns" was set, again, to "0.0.0.0" but whatever. I went to Container Station and... Great Success! I could now search for "unifi" in the "Docker Hub" repository. A "Pull" also worked right away.

Long explanation; I hope it will be of use to someone, perhaps DuckDuckGo will list this post for the next person who encounters this problem :)

TL;DR: If you get timeout to "127.0.1.1:53", or if your internet fails to work for your Containers or Container Station, reconfigure your network settings, even if the settings looks good. It might rewrite a corrupt configuration file.
steerage250
Getting the hang of things

Re: Container station 127.0.1.1:53: i/o timeout

Post by steerage250 »

This technique fixed my problem (ie changing the already correct gateway address in "Network & Virtual Switch" to a bad address then back to the correct address). The problem I had was that every time I logged-in, I was told "the system has detected that your DNS server cannot resolve hosts and some applications might not work properly."
TS-251, PCs with Windows 10
Sandrock02
First post

Post by Sandrock02 »

steerage250 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:51 pm This technique fixed my problem (ie changing the already correct gateway address in "Network & Virtual Switch" to a bad address then back to the correct address). The problem I had was that every time I logged-in, I was told "the system has detected that your DNS server cannot resolve hosts and some applications might not work properly."
I got the same issue on my QNAP NAS, could you please help to describe more on how to change the gateway address?
steerage250
Getting the hang of things

Post by steerage250 »

Open Control Panel,
- select General Settings
- select Network & Files Services (down the left side)
- select Network & Virtual Switch (top item)
- select Interfaces (on the left)
- select the 3 vertical dots to the right of Adapter 1, and then select Configure
- here you will find "Default Gateway". It will be set to the IP address of your router/modem. In my case, it is 10.1.1.1 but it depends on the router. Frequently routers have an address of 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. In any case, if you NAS is able to access the internet (eg to do updates, update virus definitions etc), this address will be correct (whatever variant it is). Just change the last digit to 2 (for example) to make it incorrect, select Apply, then change it back to its original number (eg 1) and hit Apply again.
- if you have two Adapters, repeat the process for Adapter 2
TS-251, PCs with Windows 10

Return to “Container Station”