moved TS-473 to new network and can no longer access

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
gary_nap
Starting out

Post by gary_nap »

Hello,

I moved my network to a new IP range (192.168.1 to 10.10.x.x) and now the TS-473 is not accessible. It has always been configured for DHCP.
- Cannot connect via admin web page
- PC's cannot access the network shares.
- Cannot connect via ssh
- Cannot login from Qfinder

However, the 473 is on the network as It got a new address, and Qfinder finds it. And the 473 responds to pings. The 473 is running QTS v4.5.2.1594.

Before I started down the reset route, I wanted to ask for suggestions.

Thanks!
Gary
gary_nap
Starting out

Re: moved TS-473 to new network and can no longer access

Post by gary_nap »

I am able to connect the TS-473 back to the 192.168.1 subnet, and everything operated as expected.

I'm guessing that this issue is somehow related to the virtual switch that is associated with the physical ethernet port. This makes no sense to me as I expected the virtual switch to pickup the new DHCP assigned address.

I have "container station" and "ubuntu linux station" installed. Removing these 2 applications would be ok.

I am not sure what to do at this point so suggestions are welcomed.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

I am not sure what to do at this point so suggestions are welcomed.
Despite that Qfinder does a good job at locating a NAS - it's best practice to have a static IP address on a shared network resource such as a NAS so that the devices that use it are able to locate it and use it.
Suggestion - configure a static IP address on the NAS, valid for the new network, and outside the DHCP scope.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
gary_nap
Starting out

Post by gary_nap »

Hi Alastair,

I'm looking for suggestions on how to resolve my issue when I move the NAS to a new subnet. Unfortunately, setting a static IP address will not resolve my issue unless it is set at the proper place. If I set it incorrectly, I will lose all connectivity to the NAS and potentially have to do a full restore.

Having encountered this issue expecting things to work transparently is a bit concerning as I would have expected the address change to be transparent as DHCP is in use.

My guess is that this is related to the fact that a virtual switch is involved.

At this point, I think the ideal thing would be to add the new subnet to the existing virtual switch to preserve existing connectivity. And then once access has been confirmed to the new subnet, remove the old subnet, and set the default gateway to the new subnet.

I am new to using virtual switches, and don't want to break anything.

Cheers
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

Unfortunately, setting a static IP address will not resolve my issue unless it is set at the proper place.
Yes, understood. IP addresses do need to be set correctly for the network the device resides on.
If I set it incorrectly, I will lose all connectivity to the NAS and potentially have to do a full restore.
Setting an incorrect IP address will not require a full restore to be done.
Provided the reset button function has not been disabled, there are several hardware reset options available that do not affect user data.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

gary_nap wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:26 pm I'm looking for suggestions on how to resolve my issue when I move the NAS to a new subnet. Unfortunately, setting a static IP address will not resolve my issue unless it is set at the proper place. If I set it incorrectly, I will lose all connectivity to the NAS and potentially have to do a full restore.

Having encountered this issue expecting things to work transparently is a bit concerning as I would have expected the address change to be transparent as DHCP is in use.
If the NAS configured for DHCP is reachable on the old subnet but is not on the new one, what does that tell you?

The most likely cause is that you restricted it to the old subnet, but apparently can't be bothered to remember how or where.
My suggestions:
- Look in QuFirewall if you have it installed and running
- Otherwise look into the Allow/Deny list in the Control Panel
elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

Set NAS for DHCP and set up DHCP static reservations in your firewall/router on old and new subnet. And no, don’t use the QNAP POS QuFirewall. It’s not rocket science people.
gary_nap
Starting out

Post by gary_nap »

Mousetick,

Thank you! I knew that it was a network problem.

I hunted all over the "Network and File Services" area looking for things like the "Allow/Deny" list and was unable to find it. In my other experiences the "Allow/Deny" list was found with the other network configuration/settings.

I must have restricted connections for some reason when the NAS was initially configured.

I hope you have an awesome day!

Regards

Return to “Miscellaneous”