Remotely Mounting

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
jay0001
New here

Remotely Mounting

Post by jay0001 »

Hi All,

I am looking into Qnap and have a quick question.
I am planning on encrypting a 6tb drive within it but read it requires manual mounting.

I intend to use the NAS to access the drive while im outside of the house so manually mounting each time would be impossible. Autoloading would also defeat the purpose of encryption.

Is it possible to remotely mount the encrypted volume NAS?
Perhaps loging in remotley and simply entering the password

Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Remotely Mounting

Post by dolbyman »

Establish a VPN(done on router or dedicated device) and unlock the drive via the webgui (vpn is then also used for remote usage)

NEVER expose your NAS to the open internet for remote access
jay0001
New here

Post by jay0001 »

Ah its that simple ok. I didnt realize you can do it via the webgui.

By the way

1) Does decrypting a 6tb drive take a long time?
The videos I have seen where on much smaller drives and seem to take a bit of time.

2) I assume I will have no problem streaming media (movies, music) on my encrypted drive via the webgui right? or do I need to use another app for this?

Thanks again.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

1) decrypting is on the fly....decrypting the whole drive would make no sense

2) any files on that drive would be unavailable until the drive/volume has been unlocked
Pfeffernuss
New here

Post by Pfeffernuss »

dolbyman wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:11 pm 1) decrypting is on the fly....decrypting the whole drive would make no sense

2) any files on that drive would be unavailable until the drive/volume has been unlocked
1) Using a 932px decrypting a 2TB volume literally takes minutes. This is something that has amazed me since day one. Using Bitlocker for example it's a matter of entering the password and you're done. On the QNAP it's grinding away and only after that you're able to access the files

This has lead me to a "solution", always keep the volume decrypted, as I simply can't stand the delay.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

1) Using a 932px decrypting a 2TB volume literally takes minutes. This is something that has amazed me since day one. Using Bitlocker for example it's a matter of entering the password and you're done. On the QNAP it's grinding away and only after that you're able to access the files

This has lead me to a "solution", always keep the volume decrypted, as I simply can't stand the delay.
I'm wondering if you are mixing up 'unlocking' - opening up access to an encrypted volume, with 'decrypting' - permanently converting the contents back to plaintext.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
jay0001
New here

Post by jay0001 »

crap that is what i was worried about. I thought I could connect remotley enter the password for the encrypted drive and within seconds access and stream my files. If a 2TB takes minutes it will take ages for a 6TB. Can anyone else please confirm this? Defeats the purpose of buying a QNAP in this case.

Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

doubt the unlock of a larger volume will take longer .. as (as stated before) the full volume will not be decrypted (obviously) but merely unlocked with on the fly decryption/encryption of accessed data
Pfeffernuss
New here

Post by Pfeffernuss »

AlastairStevenson wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:07 pm I'm wondering if you are mixing up 'unlocking' - opening up access to an encrypted volume, with 'decrypting' - permanently converting the contents back to plaintext.
Sorry, yes I really meant unlocking.
That is, here, not simply entering password and being done, but rather:
Enter password, wait, see percentage of unlocking increase, wait, wait, disks grinding, percentage rising, more grinding etc. etc.

Volume is filled with images and videos. Can make video is people think this is impossible 😉

Return to “Miscellaneous”