What's the use case for QuMagie?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Choppit
Starting out

What's the use case for QuMagie?

Post by Choppit »

Anyone able to clarify what the purpose of QuMagie is? I believe QuMagie sits on top of QNAP AI Core, but QPhoto allows me to tag people without QMagie installed, so does that make QuMagie redundant?

From their respective app descriptions;
QuMagie is a QTS photo management application that uses AI to help you manage photos and videos on your QNAP NAS. QuMagie integrates facial recognition and object recognition to make browsing and organizing photos and videos easier than ever before.
QNAP AI Core integrates facial recognition and object recognition to make NAS applications smarter than ever.
Thanks
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: What's the use case for QuMagie?

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

basically, you have on your qnap a bunch of pictures of people.

so when you want to do a search, you don't want to manually look for the pics with person X in them. imagine if you had hundreds of thousands of pics, and out of that only a fraction had pics of that person x.

so this is what qumagie is supposed to solve.

it uses ai to detect person x among others, then lets you label this unique person x, so you can select person x and immediately it will group up all pics where this person was detected.

so no more searching a needle through a haystack.... so is the theory o-O;

it's not just people detection it does, but also objects, locations and a few other things.

I mostly use qumagie for anime characters and art. it works alright, but i suspect that the focus is more with real people images.

although qumagie has some parts which are similar to photostation, they actually are different. qumagie has that ai functioned i mentioned, whereas photostation does not. photostation merely just displays all the images on your nas (or at least from the shares you indicated images you want shown in photostation).

qumagie serves a more specific purpose which is to use ai to help group up images into individual persons for you to make searching quicker and less of a hassle.

i keep a lot of pictures but they tend to be disorganized and not well named. so qumagie for me helps with this. i just label the persons, and then i can find pics for that character.

so it's not a gimmick, there is actual usefulness in regards to this app, i just hope that they develop it more to maturity from it's current statu, as it has much promise if it can deliver on effectiveness of the app.

it also does another function which is to locate duplicate images on your nas. this is useful because i often add duplicates of images without realizing. so qumagie helps me detect and locate them so i can then delete these unecessary duplicates that take up space.

there is actually another app that serves a similar function to dupe image detection called dupeguru.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Choppit
Starting out

Post by Choppit »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:07 pm basically, you have on your qnap a bunch of pictures of people.

although qumagie has some parts which are similar to photostation, they actually are different. qumagie has that ai functioned i mentioned, whereas photostation does not. photostation merely just displays all the images on your nas (or at least from the shares you indicated images you want shown in photostation).
But If I go to PhotoStation6 -> People, I see people automatically grouped, which I can then tag, or merge with a pre-tagged name, so with respect to people, this looks like exactly the same functionality that used to be offered by QuMagie (which I no longer have installed). Originally I think QMagie contained all of the core functionality, but later the core was separated into its own package.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

qumagie is the tool that will auto group pictures based on unique persons so that the user requires fewer steps and hassles to group those pictures up based on a person x.

for example i noticed only 1 person which i used qumagie to identify and group pictures was listed, and nobody else. meaning that those tags were created when using qumagie based on that result.

but i see this persons in photostation you mention and it does have a "identify this unknown persons?" option there similar to qumagie.

i think the photostation persons is interfacing with qumagie engine is it? try use it while qumagie is uninstall. does it still function?

maybe you may need to reindex in multimedia console when qumagie is installed as well perhaps? first
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
Choppit
Starting out

Post by Choppit »

Facial recognition works just fine in QPhoto without QuMagie as I’ve said, so I’m not sure why QuMagie still exists. Another related point of concern, if I do install QuMagie, it doesn’t recall the tagging done through QPhoto, suggesting it has a separate index/DB. Can anyone from QNAP comment?
dawsonkm
Getting the hang of things

Post by dawsonkm »

Choppit wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:26 pm
Can anyone from QNAP comment?
Choppit. QNAP doesn't come to these forums. You have to open a ticket with them and ask.
TS-431X2 QTS 4.4.3.1439 - Static Vol 4 x 8TB Hdd Raid 5 Using 10GBE
TS-431X2 QTS 4.4.3.1439 - Static Vol 4 x 8TB Hdd Raid 5 Using 10GBE
TS-431P2 QTS 4.4.3.1439 - Static Vol 4 x 8TB Hdd Raid 5
TS-431P2 QTS 4.4.3.1439 - Static Vol 4 x 8TB Hdd Raid 5
TVS-1282T QTS 4.5.4.2012- Static Vol 8 x 16TB Hdd Raid 6, Static Vol 4 X 8TB SSD Raid 5 Using 10GBE
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

https://service.qnap.com/

report back to forum what they say so we all can know, ty
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “Miscellaneous”