QNAP TS-563 work too slow after expand pool

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
merlinofchaos
New here

QNAP TS-563 work too slow after expand pool

Post by merlinofchaos »

I have a QNAP TS-563 with AMD GX-420MC and 8GB Ram. I replaced all 5x4GB disks with 6GB WDRed one by one. The five rebuilds finish successful. After that I expand Storage Pool it take about 20 hours (the one rebuild took about 12-13 hours). After that something broke and NAS started working super slowly. I decided to restart- and the startup took about 1 hour. After login NAS start sync it took about 4 days. Then I had to run a file system check because the volume has unmounted.
Now I see everything, but again it works super slow. I download important files at 1-2MB/s.

I don't know how to proceed and where is the problem- software or hardware ...

I'm currently trying to back up the more important files (it will probably take me a month) and then if someone doesn't give better advice I will reset the device.

Please for an opinion, what is the reason for the problem and advice on how to proceed from now?

Sorry for my bad english...
OneCD
Guru

Re: QNAP TS-563 work too slow after expand pool

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

Which model WD Red drives did you install? EFRX, EFAX or something else?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
merlinofchaos
New here

Post by merlinofchaos »

EFAX:
1. WD60EFAX-68SHWN0
2. WD60EFAX-68JH4N1
3. WD60EFAX-68JH4N1
4. WD60EFAX-68JH4N0
5. WD60EFAX-68JH4N0

I bought the discs 2 times in 3 pieces. For a long time (2-3 months) he worked with one 6TB Disk and 4 4TB disks. While I was changing the discs and during the rebuild, it also worked normally. I think everything collapsed when I released the expand...
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

These model WD drives are unsuitable for RAID operations and are known to be problematic when used in NAS due to their use of SMR technology. :(

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=154346

You’ll need to replace these drives again with a different brand or model.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
merlinofchaos
New here

Post by merlinofchaos »

Thanks for the feedback.
I read about the SMR technology and as far as I understand the problem with it is the lower recording speed. In my case, the problem is almost zero read speed. I understand that use of this technology decrease performance problems, but I don't believe SMR is slowing down RAID that much
jeffbaygents
Starting out

Post by jeffbaygents »

I utilize 2 efax drives in my TS-563, which is a mix of 4TB and 6TB drives. One of my efax (reds) drives is 4TB and the other is 6TB. I haven't had any issue; however, when I added my 6TB into the mix last week, I was in the process of performing a reset anyway. I know this post is old but, it's added info that might help in the future. I performed the reset and experienced no issues. However, I'm using RAID 10, if that means anything. The efax drives using SMR are a known issue for heavy users such as businesses and other related scenarios. It's specified on the product description to avoid these SMR drives for those scenarios. I am using them in my home office and don't fall under those scenarios so they work fine for my purposes. I had some old timing info on performing resets and I observed that it took about the same length of time for completion of the initialization of RAID 10; however, I did notice copying over the files before the RAID was finished formulating was slower. Knowing it was probably the SMR, I stopped copying files and waited for the RAID to complete. After that, I copied back my files and it operated as before. Hope this helps.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

SMR issue mostly come up when

- the disks are mostly full or on long continuous writes when the 'CMR sectors' are exhausted (sequential)
- random write operations are done
merlinofchaos
New here

Post by merlinofchaos »

In fact, my problems with the NAS continue. After about 2-3 months of agony I download the data from it (at a speed of 100-200kb/s). I reinstalled it, recreate RAID but problem exists after it.
I took it to the importer's service center (from Bulgaria it's Persy). After diagnosis, it was told that three of the discs "disappeared for a while" and this caused the problem. Apparently they have a problem with the electronics.
Now I will try to return them for warranty support ...
Thanks for support ;)

Return to “Miscellaneous”