QNAP helpdesk: bunch of incompetents or ingnorance?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
earckens
Starting out

QNAP helpdesk: bunch of incompetents or ingnorance?

Post by earckens »

Being unable to unmount volumes (QNAP TS419-P+) in order to check storage inconsistencies I contacted QNAP helpdesk. A week later nothing solved and I just discovered, after response from helpdesk (case Q-202105-30242) stating that "nothing was found to resolve my issue to unmount volumes", that all my folders and files have disappeared.

What a disgrace this QNAP "helpdesk" is. Bunch of ignorant incompetent idiots.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP helpdesk: bunch of incompetents or ingnorance?

Post by dolbyman »

You are sure they didn't just abandon your ticket because your NAS is out of support ? (EOL for a while now)
Caretaker
New here

Post by Caretaker »

Well I somehow I must agree with @earckens.

My NAS is not out of support (TS-251+) and I have 2 tickets open since APRIL and until today nothing has happened I was only 2 times asked to open an remote support session for the development staff. They have been on ma NAS and did nothing.

The support staff assigned to this tickets (for both tickets the same staff) does not inform about anything and even does not respond if I posted in the ticket asking for information.

If they are unable to solve the problems then at least the should say so, But just ignoring THAT IS NO SUPPORT.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

eol listed is here
https://www.qnap.com/en/product/eol.php

personal experience, in regards to helpdesk, you need to chase them if you want to expedite, or you will be waiting back from them.

if you want to chase them more, they have a technical hotline. please be sure to have a ticket already created BEFORE you call up. Then you got a ticker number to cite. I don't usually bother unless it's something urgent.

You can create helpdesk ticker here
https://service.qnap.com/en

tip: if you are not using the qnap default ram, or if they ask you in regards to that, MAKE SURE you have the original. do not sell or throw it away even if you do replace them. Otherwise it may make it harder to get helpdesk support (even if the new ram works just fine :' ... )
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
earckens
Starting out

Post by earckens »

Thank you all for your replies!

My TS419P+ is not on that list, so it is obsolete?

Thanks too for that hotline tip, and for the RAM idea: I was not aware I could install my own.

And also: this morning just now I discovered that the NAS files and folders all miraculously reappeared.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

earckens wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:02 pm Thank you all for your replies!

Thanks too for that hotline tip, and for the RAM idea: I was not aware I could install my own.

And also: this morning just now I discovered that the NAS files and folders all miraculously reappeared.
yes but sometimes they can get antsy if they notice that you aren't using their stock ram. worse case scenario they may refuse to provide support. this is why if you know there is no issue with the ram, don't bring it up. but if they noticed, you may need to reinstall back the original to get support if they press you :roll:

this why i don't ask support for help unless it's really needed.

like the time i had random reboots, that was hell. i definitely could not troubleshoot that on my own.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

earckens wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:02 pm Thank you all for your replies!

check the list again.. update support to 2017-12 and security support till 2020-12
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

earckens wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:02 pm My TS419P+ is not on that list, so it is obsolete?

Note: the TS-419P+ does not support RAM replacement. It has a fixed 512MB that cannot be removed. :(

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Caretaker
New here

Post by Caretaker »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:11 am if you want to chase them more, they have a technical hotline. .. )
You forgot to mention that this "support" hotline is chargeable at a rate of € 1.49 (US$ 1.81) per minute.

Not my idea of customer friendly support.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Caretaker wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:26 am
Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:11 am if you want to chase them more, they have a technical hotline. .. )
You forgot to mention that this "support" hotline is chargeable at a rate of € 1.49 (US$ 1.81) per minute.

Not my idea of customer friendly support.
good point.

however if you rely on email correspondence only, the follow up on their end may or may not be slow in between. depends how urgently you need them to reply back. maybe you can ask them to switch over to live chat after contacting them over the hotline to keep it short? :'

discord is free? or you can do whatsapp?

anyway if your case is a situation where it is ongoing and depends on qnap to get back to you in regards to progress updates, ALWAYS ask them when you can expect a reply back from them for the follow up. Get a firm date that is agreed upon before ending the convo. do not be left in a situation where you have to wait on them to contact you back without knowing that.

this is why i only do email for small issues. big issues i'll do the technical hotline. i can count on one hand the number of times i've done it this way over the many years of using a qnap :wink:
NAS

Network

Resources
Caretaker
New here

Post by Caretaker »

Well it looks like that Qnap Support has a "Blacklist" of customers whose support tickets are not even looked at or treated.

My initial 2 tickets from April are still status "In Progress" but no reply was received since beginning of June. A third ticket I opened on 7th June was not even receiving attention till now, status as well "In Progress"but did not receive an initial answer.

Well it looks like QNAP knows why they don't provide a possibility for customers to complain.

Return to “Miscellaneous”