DHCP working but not visible

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
DaveM
Starting out

DHCP working but not visible

Post by DaveM »

Hi,

I've searched for this but no sign of a similar post.

I've got a TS-653D which was upgraded about a week ago to 4.5.3.1670. I haven't been in the screen for a while so I don't know if it's upgrade related or not - gut feel is not.

Simply put DHCP is being controlled on my network by the NAS. This was configured by applying the DHCP config to the virtual switch and previously I'd been able to view this config and see what addresses clients had been granted etc.
Now in the Network & Virtual Switch it no longer shows that DHCP is configured and is actually quite happy to let me try configuring it again.

However the thing is DHCP is working fine, devices are being granted addresses, the NAS IP is showing as the DHCP server, leases are working as expected. To all intent and purpose it's all working fine except this isn't reflected in the qnap gui. I suspect there are command line things I could do to confirm this and probably view my clients, change the config etc but I'd much prefer that it was working properly in the GUI.

I can also confirm that I'm not running any VMs/Containers that are using that same NIC to actually provide DHCP services - I did check because I have pihole running and I know that can do DHCP if enabled.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

Dave
P3R
Guru

Re: DHCP working but not visible

Post by P3R »

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your question as I've never used it.

I'm curious. Why do you use the NAS DHCP and not either of the more natural places, the internet router/firewall or Pihole?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
DaveM
Starting out

Re: DHCP working but not visible

Post by DaveM »

So my sky internet router is notoriously bad at DHCP. Has a habit of just failing to dole out addresses especially when it has to do a lot at once - say after a power cut.

While i run pihole I run it as a container on my NAS. With it running as a container the broadcast nature of DHCP doesn't seem to work properly and with it needing the NAS to be up to work anyway it seemed somewhat unnecessarily complicated.

As for my issue, I ended up just configuring the DHCP server settings on the NAS again. It seemed happy to let me do it and has continued to work without any issues of it trying to allocate addresses again that it had previously allocated in its "not properly working" state.

Return to “Miscellaneous”