How to access files on my TS-453D from Linux Station?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
DigitalMan
New here

How to access files on my TS-453D from Linux Station?

Post by DigitalMan »

I used to have no problem getting to files on my NAS from the Linux Station app installed on the same NAS.
However, as of an update today, I can't get to any of the files I store on my TS-453D in Linux Station. This is a real problem as accessing my NAS files from Linux Station was essential to my workflow.

Any ideas?
DigitalMan
New here

Re: How to access files on my TS-453D from Linux Station?

Post by DigitalMan »

So, replying to my own question thanks to some awesome guidance on Reddit: it looks like QNAP removed the shortcut, but I can get to my data in Linux Station by adding network drives: https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/tutor ... te-desktop

This totally works, unless anyone has another idea....?
iamsantino
New here

Post by iamsantino »

I'm having the same problem since upgrading my TS-253A firmware to 4.5.3.1697, and upgrading Ubuntu Linux Station to v2.3.0.2396

There use to be a folder on the Ubuntu Linux Station desktop called NAS that showed all the shared folders on the NAS. After the upgrades I mentioned above the folder is gone.

I contacted support via the HelpDesk app but they reviewed my logs and said they could not find an error
iamsantino
New here

Post by iamsantino »

Turns out they removed the NAS folder on purpose, it is on the release notes of the most recent Ubuntu Linux Station version (2.3.0.2396). I am not sure why, though.

https://www.qnap.com/en/app_releasenote ... =ubuntu-hd

QNAP links to the webpage you mentioned above as a means of accessing the shared folders on the NAS. I missed having the NAS folder on my Ubuntu Linux Station Desktop though so I found a way to recreate the NAS folder on the desktop:

Open terminal and run this command:

Code: Select all

ln -s /.share/ ~/Desktop/NAS
The NAS folder that is created shows all the shared folders present on the NAS. It also unfortunately show a few additional, unnecessary folders but this is a small price to pay for my scripts to continue working as they did before the update.

I hope this works for you as well
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

That command didn't work for me.
I do get the icon and link, but clicking on it produces the following error message:

This link cannot be used because its target "/.share/" doesn't exist
So, what is wrong and how to fix it?
ImageImageImage
TajikNAS
New here

Post by TajikNAS »

DigitalMan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:11 am I used to have no problem getting to files on my NAS from the Linux Station app installed on the same NAS.
However, as of an update today, I can't get to any of the files I store on my TS-453D in Linux Station. This is a real problem as accessing my NAS files from Linux Station was essential to my workflow.

Any ideas?
Yep! Same here. I was confused and added folders as remote folders. After seeing your post and replies here, I am sure I didn't do anything wrong with my QNAP.
Thank you all for useful discussion and hints!
TajikNAS
New here

Post by TajikNAS »

iamsantino wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:44 pm Turns out they removed the NAS folder on purpose, it is on the release notes of the most recent Ubuntu Linux Station version (2.3.0.2396). I am not sure why, though.

https://www.qnap.com/en/app_releasenote ... =ubuntu-hd

QNAP links to the webpage you mentioned above as a means of accessing the shared folders on the NAS. I missed having the NAS folder on my Ubuntu Linux Station Desktop though so I found a way to recreate the NAS folder on the desktop:

Open terminal and run this command:

ln -s /.share/ ~/Desktop/NAS
The NAS folder that is created shows all the shared folders present on the NAS. It also unfortunately show a few additional, unnecessary folders but this is a small price to pay for my scripts to continue working as they did before the update.

I hope this works for you as well
Your script worked perfectly as you described.
Thank you very much, iamsantino!
oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo »

Is there a way to make this work also from Virtualizaiton Station using a Ubuntu image ?
ImageImageImage

Return to “Miscellaneous”