TS-451 with LAN issues

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
CosminMija
New here

TS-451 with LAN issues

Post by CosminMija »

OK, so I have a TS-451 that was working great until today afternoon when I noticed that I can't access it via LAN and the orange light was off.
I turned it off and then back on, the LAN light was on for a minute or so, but it went off after the starting beep.
Of course, I tried a couple more times, I also removed the power cable, replaced the ethernet cable with one that I knew was OK (my smart TV ethernet cable) - no change.
I did the 3-second and 10-second resets: again, no change.
However, I noticed something strange: if I remove all my HDDs, the LAN connection was going OK, I even was able to access the NAS, and it asked me to do the initial system setup - not possible as I had no disks in.
As soon as I put the HDDs back in, the connection wasn't working anymore and the LAN light was off.

So, right now I'm stuck here. It was working OK for about 2 years in the following setup - except the QTS that I updated on regular basis:
- TS-451 with 8GB
- latest QTS (4.5.3.1697)
- Gigabit connection to a TP-Link TL-SG108 gigabit switch connected to an Unifi USG
- 4x4TB HDD Seagate ST4000VN000 in RAID5
For about 6 months HDD1 was reporting some bad sectors, but it was working fine and it did not evolve on getting more bads - I was checking it every 2-3 weeks.

Anyone had this issue before or any ideas on what to check next?

Thanks!
CosminMija
New here

Re: TS-451 with LAN issues

Post by CosminMija »

OK, so I spent most of my day today trying to find a solution.

First I tried the instructions from this link: https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Firmware_Recovery . When I got to the step where I needed to boot from an external USB, I was receiving a keyboard error ("pc_keyb: controller jammed").
I solved the keyboard error by removing the CMOS battery from the mainboard.
But, after it moved further, at step 8. "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to enter command line." the screen went dark every time and it looked like it the NAS was completely frozen - the Numlock or Capslock lights from the keyboard were not working anymore (basically a black screen and no sign of activity).
Changed a couple of USB keyboards, same story. Removed and replaced the memories from NAS, no change.

Second, I made the assumption that, maybe, there's a BIOS fault - even if everything seemed to be OK.
So, I started this: https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/How_to_flash ... is_disable
I have downloaded the latest BIOS from here: https://download.qnap.com/Storage/tsd/bios/QW37AR36.zip
I have followed all the steps but the flash procedure ended with an error: "JemmEx: Exception 0D occured at CS:EIP=CE00:00002FB1,....", see the file I attached. Pressing Enter it moved to the next error with the same content.
I was trying to look for this but the only thing I found was to change the AHCI to legacy IDE (from BIOS), it did not help at all.

So, right now I'm out of options. Any ideas?
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

could be a slowly dying system due to the LPC degradation bug, add the resistor (forum search) and try again
CosminMija
New here

Post by CosminMija »

So, it seems the issue is quite different. One of the disks (2nd one in the array) just gave up without any notice and it was blocking the entire NAS.
That's the CrystalDisk Info:
Screenshot 2021-06-25 123913.jpg
If I put the rest of the 3 disks in (1-3-4), the NAS starts but it gives me some errors on the missing/incomplete array (both via ethernet or connected to a monitor via HDMI and with a keyboard attached).
As soon as I add the 2nd disk, it dies.

Setting aside the fact that I was expecting for the NAS to work normally (!) and just let me know - via the interface, email, or other means of communications - that one of the disks is toasted, now I have a different issue.

Since I have completely reset my NAS, if I replace the 2nd disk, will it still be able to re-create the array and recover my data? Or, since it's reset to the factory defaults, it will not recognize my RAID5 array (pool) anymore?
(I haven't erased or formatted any disk)
Any thoughts?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

when the nas is started with the 3 disks, login via ssh and do

Code: Select all

md_checker

Return to “Miscellaneous”