Ubuntu linux Station - missing links to NAS Public folder

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Blume
New here

Ubuntu linux Station - missing links to NAS Public folder

Post by Blume »

I need to access Nas Public folder from linux station. After updating Ubuntu Linux Station and getting fw update, links to NASPublic folder are broken.

in Ubuntu linux Station
    /share2 folder is empty and
      /nas_share folder contains only broken link to /share2

I'm no able to restore link becaus I'm not so expert
      Could someone help me please?

Thank you
      Roberto
      aryan
      Know my way around

Re: Ubuntu linux Station - missing links to NAS Public folder

Post by aryan »

#metoo
      QNAP TS-451+ / QTS 4.5 / 8GB (4+4) Kingston KVR16LS11 / WD RED 4TB(x4) RAID5 / Remote QNAP RM-IR002 / Logitech K400 White / APC Back-UPS ES 550G
      AVR: ONKYO TX-NR609 / TV: Hisense H65M7000
      handsomeric
      New here

Post by handsomeric »

I am having this same issue too, and I am on TS-451+ with ubuntu 18.04.
      glennmac
      Know my way around

Post by glennmac »

I found this too. Is it firmware update or Linux Station update?
      glennmac
      Know my way around

Post by glennmac »

I have also verified this problem on 4 QNAPs of all different varieties.
      glennmac
      Know my way around

Post by glennmac »

Just found this is on purpose. I am reading latest LInux Station notes. "- Removed NAS shortcut in Ubuntu remote desktop. " Does anyone know how to re-create this?
      handsomeric
      New here

Post by handsomeric »

I am having this issue as well and I would very much like to know if there is a work-around too.
      glennmac
      Know my way around

Post by glennmac »

I sent a ticket in on this and QNAP essentially said sorry but too bad. Luckily someone on Reddit helped out. Here is how to re-create a link that ends up in the admin user's home directory.

Open the Terminal app in Linux Station and enter

ln -s /.share ~/NAS
      RogePete
      New here

Post by RogePete »

And again after latest Linux Station update. The command from glennmac does not work anymore.
      QNAP TS253B, 8GB RAM, 2x 4TB HDD RAID 1
      bereberedu
      New here

Post by bereberedu »

Yep, same situation for me. /.share folder is completely empty, and symlinks are broken to network folders. Really, really wish the Linux Station dev team would stop changing this behavior; I've had to fix these broken links a half-dozen times in the past few years. Serves me right for updating...
      RogePete
      New here

Post by RogePete »

bereberedu wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:01 am Yep, same situation for me. /.share folder is completely empty, and symlinks are broken to network folders. Really, really wish the Linux Station dev team would stop changing this behavior; I've had to fix these broken links a half-dozen times in the past few years. Serves me right for updating...
      If you find a solution, pls give me a hint.
      thx
      bereberedu
      New here

Post by bereberedu »

Okay, I've got things back up and running. I'm very much a novice when it comes to networking, servers, and linux, so this might be a bit sledgehammery, but here's what I had to do:

First, I had to go back to manually mounting the QNAP folders in Ubuntu. To do that, I first created a credentials file using the terminal: "sudo gedit /root/.smbcredentials" File content:

username=[QNAP USERNAME]
      password=[QNAP PASSWORD]

Other guides online seems confident in the security of that info even though it's stored in plain text (I assume because it's in the root directory). Then I added the following lines to /etc/fstab (by typing "sudo gedit /etc/fstab" in the terminal):

//192.168.XXX.XXX/MY_FOLDER_SOURCE /MY_FOLDER_DESTINATION/ANYWHERE_ON_UBUNTU_INSTALL cifs rw,vers=3.0,credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=[UBUNTU ADMIN ACCOUNT],forceuid,gid=[UBUNTU ADMIN GROUP],forcegid,guest,noperm,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,users,_netdev 0 0

Copy and paste that multiple times if you want to mount multiple directories. If you don't know your Ubuntu user or group, type "id" into the terminal. I'm sure some of the options I included were redundant or unnecessary, but I tried dozens of permutations, and this is the first one that worked, so I ain't touching it lol.

Once you've saved both, Ubuntu should mount the drives upon system startup. If you want to manually mount them without restarting, type "sudo mount -a" in terminal.

I ran into one more problem after doing this: some of my QNAP folder permissions were broken and didn't allow me to make edits in Ubuntu. To fix that, I had to go into my QNAP web interface, open File Station, select the top directory of the folder that was having permissions issues, right-click -> Properties -> Permissions. Make sure Owner, Group, and Others have Read, Write, and Execute all checked, then check "Apply changes to the folder(s), subfolder(s), and file(s)." Now you should be able to edit the mounted server folders from inside of Ubuntu, and other programs like qBittorrent should be able to make changes too.

Whoof. Hope at least some of that is helpful. YMMV, depending on your system and config. Hit me up if you have any questions, and I'll try my hardest to help out.
      RogePete
      New here

Post by RogePete »

Thank you very much!! I'll try that.
      RogePete
      New here

Post by RogePete »

bereberedu wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:51 am ../MY_FOLDER_SOURCE /MY_FOLDER_DESTINATION/ANYWHERE_ON_UBUNTU_INSTALL ...
      I'm not quite sure how the syntax for this part of the line is. Could you give an example how that would look? Thanks.

Return to “Miscellaneous”