Antimalware

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Persimmons
New here

Antimalware

Post by Persimmons »

Hi guys!
I am so new to NAS that I will probably get something wrong here but a strange event concerned me enough to bring it here.
I initially set up my new out-of-the-box 431k in my shed with a PC that does not connect to the internet. In fact it can't. I use
the PC for an USB microscope and multimeter logger, those sorts of tasks.
With the NAS I installed 3 also brand new unformatted Toshiba NAS disks into it and reached for a usb stick which had just about
every app I thought I might need on it, downloaded directly from the Qnap site.
Some time during the setup the malware app coughed up a notification that it had found and was removing a virus. That was a
surprisee! There are only a few possibilities all unlikely for a virus to find a way onto this brand spanking new remote NAS.

1. It was sitting, hidden somehow on this recently blank USB memory waiting for a home on a Linux NAS (I'm a Windows user)
2. It was sitting hidden on the PC and somehow found its way across onto the NAS. Again this is Windows with no internet.
3. It came built-in to one of the genuine 1st party Qnap apps.
4. It was never there; just the malware app beating its chest declaring it just saved me a ton of trouble.

I don't believe the 1st 3 are right but it is more logical to believe that the malware didn't really find anything. If it did surely it
would have broken an app or some part of the OS right?
Any thoughts guys?
OneCD
Guru

Re: Antimalware

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you're new to NAS, please don't speculate on malware infection vectors. To put it bluntly: you're not yet qualified to-do so. Your ignorance could have you pointing fingers in all directions. :DD

Can you find the log entry on your NAS where the Malware Remover app found the virus? Can you please post it here?

Have you created a support ticket with QNAP to ask them about this?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Persimmons
New here

Post by Persimmons »

Thank you for the welcome OneCD.
I mentioned, NAS is working perfectly fine and for others reading this be sure I am not here to disrespect Qnap. I am very happy that after
much research my decision to buy Qnap was a good one and I surely won't be looking back.
I couldn't give a tinker's cuss what non Qnap people think. My post in the miscellaneous section of this forum was for Qnap, not general comments.
I registered and posted to let Qnap know there could be an issue and I believe this is a site owned and funded by Qnap Corp?

I would be safe in saying most people are not " qualified" to speculate on "malware vectors" or probably much to do with NAS. Most of us learn
what needs to be learned and just get on with using them.
I thought I put my incident in clear enough terms for those qualified and I am referring to Qnap people not forum members, to maybe test and
make their own judgement. If they find an issue good, if not, nothing lost. Keep in mind virtually very few people can access a brand new 431k
with brand new disks and test this. This issue is for Qnap to discover or not. Forum denizens need not insert themselves into the conversation.

Facts are facts and these are fairly simple to get ones head around because even though I am an ignorant, finger-pointing user I am quite certain
this issue is repeatable with nary a log or ticket in sight but, I do not expect Qnap Corp to drop everything and reply to little ol' me . . . ever.
What I do expect is, Qnap themselves not forum members, to grab a 431k off the line, add a hard drive, load all their apps and see what happens
because it's good policy to listen to users issues to ensure that even ignorant, non-qualified users such as myself have a good experience when
setting up their new NAS.
As for qualifications, even if I am unqualified and ignorant of the finer details of a NAS environment, I am certainly qualified to register on this
Qnap-owned site and comment on my user experience. I have done that and we can call this a ticket if needs be. Meanwhile I'm outa here.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you can call this many things..a ticket is not one of them

this is a user forum, qnap does not come here
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Persimmons wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:49 am I couldn't give a tinker's cuss what non Qnap people think. My post in the miscellaneous section of this forum was for Qnap, not general comments.
I registered and posted to let Qnap know there could be an issue and I believe this is a site owned and funded by Qnap Corp?
QNAP own - and even occasionally administer - this site, but otherwise have nothing to do with it. This is a community forum. Once in a long while, someone from QNAP will post here, but they do this in a non-official capacity. This forum should not be seen as a QNAP support channel. If you need to speak to QNAP, please create a support ticket: https://service.qnap.com
Persimmons wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:49 am I would be safe in saying most people are not " qualified" to speculate on "malware vectors" or probably much to do with NAS.
Correct, and they usually have the good sense not to post their suspicions and theories here. ;)
Persimmons wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:49 am I thought I put my incident in clear enough terms for those qualified and I am referring to Qnap people not forum members, to maybe test and
make their own judgement. If they find an issue good, if not, nothing lost. Keep in mind virtually very few people can access a brand new 431k
with brand new disks and test this. This issue is for Qnap to discover or not. Forum denizens need not insert themselves into the conversation.
Yep, that's not how it works here. You'll only get forum "denizens" on this community forum.
Persimmons wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:49 am ... because it's good policy to listen to users issues to ensure that even ignorant, non-qualified users such as myself have a good experience when
setting up their new NAS.
Totally agree, and you're not the first to expect a company as large as QNAP to listen to its users. Maybe one day QNAP will surprise us all and engage with its user base.
Persimmons wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:49 am As for qualifications, even if I am unqualified and ignorant of the finer details of a NAS environment, I am certainly qualified to register on this
Qnap-owned site and comment on my user experience.
You sure are. Thank you for doing so. :)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Miscellaneous”