Cannot change settings on Virtual Switch

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
FastLaneJB
Starting out

Cannot change settings on Virtual Switch

Post by FastLaneJB »

I got my QNAP recently as had a failed disk in my old server and ultimately had been planning to upgrade it as it was old anyway. Working really well so far and I long since migrated all my data incase another disk goes in the old server. I've then been slowly been working through my servers and containers as not in a huge rush anymore to get these moved over. Also a chance to rebuild some from scratch to improve on my old config.

As an initial setup I pointed DNS to my AD server VM's on the old server however I'm planning to use the built in Domain Server on the QNAP as that'll do me just fine. I've turned that on just now but have a problem changing the DNS settings on the Virtual Switch to point back to the NAS now. I need this as the DC's will obviously go so the DNS won't exist but also so the NAS / containers can resolve DNS entries I'm adding into the Domain Controller section. The problem is all options are greyed out on the Virtual Switch for editing beyond the first screen, see the screenshot.

Attached to this Virtual Switch I've got:
  • 2 Virtual Station VM's
    ~20 containers using QNET via docker-compose for static IP's on the network
    Linux Station (Only had a quick play with it)
My gut feeling tells me that I need to move all Virtual Machine's and Containers off that Virtual Switch before it'll let me change the settings but is that really the case?

If it is, is there a file I can modify to fix it, reboot and save me the hassle of removing all I've build even if it's only temporarily? I've found the nm.conf file in /etc/config but read on this forum that this is generated on the fly per boot so it won't stick.

Obviously if I have to vacate the Virtual Switch completely then I've little choice but thought I'd check here first.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
glennmac
Know my way around

Re: Cannot change settings on Virtual Switch

Post by glennmac »

I had this problem recently too. It was a simple config with a static IP. It would not let me change the configuration. What I ended up doing is using the other Ethernet interface. In the future I will always set the interface to DHCP and hand out the IP in the router. I know this doesn't answer the question unless you can move it to another interface.

Return to “Miscellaneous”