Vpn Client and Server

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
stephenjones007
Know my way around

Vpn Client and Server

Post by stephenjones007 »

I did a few searches on here and via google for this. It seems you cannot run a client and server on qvpn 2 at the same time as far as I could tell. Most of the posts were dated. Anyone know if this is still the case? Wanted to check if anything changed before purchasing a new router with vpn features.
johnnyz
New here

Re: Vpn Client and Server

Post by johnnyz »

You would be better off buying a router that supports both VPN client & server modes. You don't want to attach your NAS directly to the internet. If you must attach your NAS to the internet directly, you could run a VM or container with pfSense on your NAS if it supports containers/VMs, and use pfSense as your router.

Depending on your current router, ExpressVPN offers customized firmware for some older routers to update them to support ExpressVPN client mode.
stephenjones007
Know my way around

johnnyz wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:27 pm You would be better off buying a router that supports both VPN client & server modes. You don't want to attach your NAS directly to the internet. If you must attach your NAS to the internet directly, you could run a VM or container with pfSense on your NAS if it supports containers/VMs, and use pfSense as your router.

Depending on your current router, ExpressVPN offers customized firmware for some older routers to update them to support ExpressVPN client mode.
Thanks. I currently use the linksys velop I will giving to a family member who just needs the basics. Seems like a good time to upgrade. I was looking into the Asus routers. Dont need a mesh system. Any recommendations?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Asus AC86U does 300Mbit/s OpenSSL Tunnel per core..not too bad

And with Merlin FW by far more up to date than QNAP stuff
johnnyz
New here

Post by johnnyz »

Synology makes a good router with VPN client & server. The Netgate 1100 is a good basic router with all the power of pfSense. It's a bit more difficult to set up than most user-friendly routers and it has no Wifi. Whatever you chose, double-check before buying that the VPN client will work with whatever service you are using.
johnnyz
New here

Post by johnnyz »

This looks like it might meet your needs. It's been getting great reviews and you can't beat the price.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Integrat ... B08QTXNWZ1
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

41Mbit\s IPsec speed is pretty disappointing

And some people have a hard time even reaching that

https://www.reddit.com/r/TpLink/comment ... rformance/
stephenjones007
Know my way around

Thanks everyone. Will look into the recommendations.

Return to “Miscellaneous”