Members of administrators group can't see folder "homes"

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
sm3vvz
New here

Members of administrators group can't see folder "homes"

Post by sm3vvz »

Hi everyone,

I'm not planning on using ssh so I disabled the admin account and created and new user, assigned to group "administrators". To my surprise that account can't see "homes" folder so other users' .qsync folders are "invisible".
The same problem goes for creating a shared folder for qsync; you have to logon with admin to actually share the folder.

What's the point of having an adminstrators group when members in that group can't - despite the name - administrate other users, folders and shares???

best regards,
Jonas
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Members of administrators group can't see folder "homes"

Post by dolbyman »

Not sure who you are asking .. QNAP does not come here, so users won't know.

Just re-enable the admin users and ignore any nag screens .. just make sure (in any case) to never ever expose the NAS to WAN.. easy
sm3vvz
New here

Post by sm3vvz »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:43 am Not sure who you are asking .. QNAP does not come here, so users won't know.

Just re-enable the admin users and ignore any nag screens .. just make sure (in any case) to never ever expose the NAS to WAN.. easy
Hi,

Just interested in knowing if someone else - in this forum - also have the same problem; administrators group members are not administrators and there's no other way to elevate user rights from the GUI.
kinda beats the purpose of having "administrators" - imo.

BR,
Jonas
ChristofNAS
First post

Post by ChristofNAS »

I actually came here after noticing my alternative "admin" (user in administrators group) has no access to /homes (e.g. in File Station). So there is no solution to that?

RESOLVED: Found it. The solution is actually simple, but easily overlooked: You have to grant the new administrator user (or the administrators group) access to the "homes" share via "Edit Shared Folder Permissions" in the User adminstration dialog.
Just be aware that share may not be displayed on the first page if you have created a number of shared folders, you may have to go through the pages of shares. That was the issue why I did not find it initially.

My view on the general point: Adminstrators can administrate the system and users. Access to certain resources like shares can and must be configured, that is ok, as long as they ways to configure these things are intuitive.

Return to “Miscellaneous”