Don't disabel your ADMIN account!

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
0user0
New here

Don't disabel your ADMIN account!

Post by 0user0 »

Hi,

I would like to inform you that you should not disable your admin account. I know that now you will start asking/yelling, you have to disable it cos of security, etc.

The answer is: other accounts are not fully admin/root accounts!! . In some situations you need root account do be able to do some things on NAS if the admin account is disabled probably sooner or later you will have a trip to the destination where qnap is installed :)

The other "security advices" qnap support gives me:
1. change the default port number. WTF? this is security advice? in 2021?
2. disable access to your qnap from the Internet. Rly?! Qnap deveices where sold as private cloud devices. If I have to disable access to my qnap from the Internet I rly dont know what for i need it :D (ok for backups, but this can be done cheaper)
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Don't disabel your ADMIN account!

Post by dolbyman »

Most people are yelling at qnap for the nag screens to disable the admin user..so you should be good

2. That is the best advice...look st all the users that lost their data this year alone ... all using their NAS as advertised "personal cloud" .. some also got infected by a chia miner that destroyed their SSD storage and filled the HDD up with junk.

If you need to access your NAS from WAN, use a VPN server on router or dedicated appliance (does not cost any subscription)
0user0
New here

Re: Don't disabel your ADMIN account!

Post by 0user0 »

2. I also was infected this year, thats why I was looking a solution for future. To be honest, if QNAP cant be exposed to Internet I'm pretty sure that i dont need it. As a storage or backup device I can get smth cheaper.

Return to “Miscellaneous”