USB Printer Not Detected After QTS 5.0.0.1808 Firmware Update

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Silver2021
New here

USB Printer Not Detected After QTS 5.0.0.1808 Firmware Update

Post by Silver2021 »

After applying the latest firmware update QTS 5.0.0.1808 build 20211001 my USB printer is no longer recognized as an external device. Prior to this firmware update to my (QNAP TS-231P) NAS my printer was properly detected and worked reliably. Now it does not. The printer is a Brother MFC-9130CW.

I've tried logging in and out of the QNAP NAS, and cycling power to both the NAS and my printer. I've also tried using different USB cables and ports. None of these actions fix the problem. It looks like the latest firmware update QTS 5.0.0.1808 build 20211001 has some bugs.

Can someone please look into this? Thanks!
OneCD
Guru

Re: USB Printer Not Detected After QTS 5.0.0.1808 Firmware Update

Post by OneCD »

Silver2021 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:45 pm I've tried logging in and out of the QNAP NAS, and cycling power to both the NAS and my printer. I've also tried using different USB cables and ports. None of these actions fix the problem.
You could have saved yourself a lot of trouble by reading the firmware release notes first. ;)

USB printer support has been removed in QTS 5. This was first announced in the beta published on 2nd July 2021 (5.0.0.1716).

Always read the release notes before upgrading your firmware.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Silver2021
New here

Post by Silver2021 »

OneCD wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:13 pm You could have saved yourself a lot of trouble by reading the firmware release notes first. ;)

USB printer support has been removed in QTS 5. This was first announced in the beta published on 2nd July 2021 (5.0.0.1716).

Always read the release notes before upgrading your firmware.
Thanks for your reply. It's very strange that I didn't see this mentioned prior to running the firmware update. I regularly scan the notes before starting the update process, and also the What's New after the update is complete. I didn't notice the removal of printer support at the time. I just went back and reviewed the What's New and couldn't see the end of printer support listed this time either. I'd didn't go specifically into the actual Release Notes, yet, but this seems like a huge change that should be showcased more visibly. I'm really SHOCKED to find this out!

I had two primary reasons to purchase a QNAP NAS, and the printer sharing is the one I use on a DAILY basis:
1) Local printer sharing
2) Local file sharing

Edit:
"Enhance productivity with multiple USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports
Equipped with three SuperSpeed USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports, the TS-231P allows you to flexibly arrange tasks with a wide range of external devices without interrupting your current workflow. You can back up files to USB drives, access data stored on SD cards via USB card readers, share up to 3 printers via network, and connect to a UPS to ensure a continual power supply."

...is what it says on the current https://www.qnap.com/en/product/ts-231p web page.

This leaves me with a NAS that barely meets my needs. From a security perspective, going back to an older firmware version (if it's even possible) doesn't sound like a very good idea. I'd be stuck with an outdated system before long.
I am NOT happy about this!!!
Guapo81
Know my way around

Post by Guapo81 »

Silver2021 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:45 pm I had two primary reasons to purchase a QNAP NAS, and the printer sharing is the one I use on a DAILY basis:
1) Local printer sharing
2) Local file sharing

Edit:
"Enhance productivity with multiple USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports
Equipped with three SuperSpeed USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports, the TS-231P allows you to flexibly arrange tasks with a wide range of external devices without interrupting your current workflow. You can back up files to USB drives, access data stored on SD cards via USB card readers, share up to 3 printers via network, and connect to a UPS to ensure a continual power supply."

...is what it says on the current https://www.qnap.com/en/product/ts-231p web page.

This leaves me with a NAS that barely meets my needs. From a security perspective, going back to an older firmware version (if it's even possible) doesn't sound like a very good idea. I'd be stuck with an outdated system before long.
I am NOT happy about this!!!
If sharing a printer was realy one of the "main" reasons to buy a NAS then yes I can understand this QTS update is disappointing in that respect.
On the other hand, if you buy a small 80 euro USB print server and connect and share your printer through that then your problem is also solved again..
Not ideal maybe on the one end (since you had it covered by the NAS), but also not the end of the world I would think..
I would certainly not downgrade the NAS firmware for that reason.
QNAP TS-h886-64G 2x Samsung 970PRO NVMe SSD (RAID1, System), 2x Samsung 860 PRO SSD (RAID1, VM) 4x Seagate EXOS X16 16TB (RAID5, Data) - FW: QuTS-hero
QNAP TVS-682-i3-32G 4x HGST HUH728060ALN600 (RAID5, Backup) - FW: QTS
QNAP TVS-463 4x Seagate ST2000VN000 (RAID5, Surveillance, Backup) - FW: QTS
Former units: TS-469Pro, TS-459ProII, TS-269Pro, Qgenie
Silver2021
New here

Post by Silver2021 »

Guapo81 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:11 pm If sharing a printer was realy one of the "main" reasons to buy a NAS then yes I can understand this QTS update is disappointing in that respect.
On the other hand, if you buy a small 80 euro USB print server and connect and share your printer through that then your problem is also solved again..
I've started looking into inexpensive USB print servers, but the product reviews aren't very good. Reliability seems to be the biggest factor.
A better quality option I found is the Digi AW02-G300 print server, but that's $314.00.
I'm continuing to look at other options.
Guapo81 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:11 pm I would certainly not downgrade the NAS firmware for that reason.
I fully agree.
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

Seems like something you could throw onto a Raspberry Pi for dirt cheap
docwoelle
New here

Post by docwoelle »

I was faceing the same problem with FW 5.0 and went back to 4.5.4. I had to reinstall Surveillance Station but now the printer works fine again.
Unfortunately I cannot upgrade to a newer version with latest security patches until they put this functionality in again.
An external print server is no option as it consumes power even when it's idle and this is 99.9% of the day. (10W = 23€/Year in Germany)
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

raspberry pi consumes so little power its negligible. Certainly a heck of a lot less than a NAS. You can run those off of USB plugs, that's no where near 10W
LamasQ
First post

Post by LamasQ »

Thisisnotmyname wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:03 pm Seems like something you could throw onto a Raspberry Pi for dirt cheap
Thank you - works a treat
pofi5000
New here

Post by pofi5000 »

I was also about to upgrade when I spotted this in the Release notes:
Removed support for USB printers.
Does someone know the reason why the support was removed?
Although I could setup an Raspi for this, it would just mean another device on the shelf.

So, I stay with 4.5.4 for the moment, but usually I try to keep my devices updated mainly regarding potential vulnerabilities.
This leaves me with a bad feeling. :-(
Silver2021
New here

Post by Silver2021 »

pofi5000 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:39 am I was also about to upgrade when I spotted this in the Release notes:
Removed support for USB printers.
Does someone know the reason why the support was removed?
I'd love to know the reason for this too!
pofi5000 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:39 am So, I stay with 4.5.4 for the moment, but usually I try to keep my devices updated mainly regarding potential vulnerabilities.
This leaves me with a bad feeling. :-(
I was tempted to downgrade the firmware, but didn't because of potential security vulnerabilities. It seemed like it would be too risky long term.
I have a bad feeling about this situation too.
kinguzzo
First post

Post by kinguzzo »

Hello everyone. Same problem here...
For security reasons, I update the firmware every time a stable version is offered to me. This time I also ran into this shared usb printer problem ...
Can we create a windows virtual machine in qnap to share the printer?
Has anyone ever managed to do it?
Das-Korn
First post

Post by Das-Korn »

Same problem here. I would love to see printer support feature back in QTS 5.

I used to print via IPP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_ ... g_Protocol) CUPS directly.

What I did to work around the currently missing printer support is to run the CUPS service as a docker container. I used the olbat/cupsd docker image (https://github.com/olbat/dockerfiles/tree/master/cupsd).

DISCLAIMER
I'm not the guy who created that image nor would I recommend using the workaround for non-private use or in general if you're not familiar with cups or docker. You have to decide whether this is safe and secure to you use on your own in other words: No support, you're doing it on your own risk.

Code: Select all

docker run -d -p 631:631 -v /var/run/dbus:/var/run/dbus --device /dev/bus --device /dev/usb --name cupsd olbat/cupsd
You can now goto <your-qnap>:631 and add your printer manually (password print/print)

In case you did not create the container via container station you need to ensure to enable the auto start toggle for the container in the container station UI. Like that the service will survive a system reboot.

Regards
Das-Korn
ITStorage
First post

Post by ITStorage »

I haven't seen it on the release note - My bad I missed it.

And again: another step back what Qnap did. I think it was the last NAS I bought.

I have some SMB customers with a 2-8 Bay NAS for a file-share and to use an old printer over the network. Thank you very much Qnap for removing the printer support
bms8197
First post

Post by bms8197 »

I've missed that stuff from the release notes as well. I have a very old Canon MP250 printer which was working just great with the USB Printer stuff from the QNAP device. Now it's gone. Reading through the comments and based on @Das-Kon solution, I did this:

1. Install Container Station on your QNAP device using the QNAP web interface
2. Login via SSH to your QNAP device
3. Create an alias for docker binary since by default, via SSH, docker command is not found:

alias docker="/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/container-station/bin/docker"
4. I've used a different image since the olbat/cupsd was not starting stating that it's for amd64 but my QNAP nas cpu is arm64. So you can start your cups docker container like this (it works for all arch types):

docker run -d -p 631:631 -v /var/run/dbus:/var/run/dbus --device /dev/bus --device /dev/usb -e CUPSADMIN="admin" -e CUPSPASSWORD="yourpassword" --name=cups --net=host tigerj/cups-airprint
Then open a browser, go to http://nas-server-ip:631, authenticate with the credentials configured at the previous step, manually add a printer in cups and share it. Then you'll be able to add that printer as a Network Printer from your computer. Hope it helps!

Return to “Miscellaneous”